[Nfb-seniors] Hello

Dave Mack dcmack2 at comcast.net
Sun Jan 31 17:22:10 UTC 2010

Dar, Welcome!  And to all, a big hello from the east side of San Francisco
Bay!

I, too, just joined this list a few days ago.  I am 67-years-old  in April
and am one of those seniors who has experienced declining vision in my later
years.  I have been transitioning gradually from sight to sound when using
the computer.  I began by using cut-and-paste clipboard readers and, as my
vision loss has increased, I have begun using a full screen reader.  I am a
member-at-large of NFB now and I also belong to bookshare.org as I enjoy
reading, mainly science, philosophy, and the study of world religions, both
east and west.  I am looking forward to receiving the KNFB Mobile Reader in
a few days as I can no longer read printed text without the aid of such a
device and am thankful I am living in an age where such advances in
technology are possible.  I am retired from the Social Security
Administration where I worked for about 25 years, during the sighted period
of my life experience.  In one of my capacities there I served as a
representative advocate on behalf of a number of Social Security employees
who were deaf or vision-impaired on issues before the Equal Employment
Opportunity Commission.  It was in that capacity that I began to learn about
assistive technologies that could help these employees be more independent
and work more efficiently.  Little did I know back then that I would be
using advances in these technologies in my later years.  Well, that's some
of my background in a nutshell and I am pleased to be learning from a number
of lists and appreciate the opportunity we all have to share our various
interests and/or concerns.

Best regards,

Grandpa Dave in California