[Nfb-seniors] This and that

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Thu Nov 6 16:02:24 UTC 2014

Judy:

I'm sorry you thought Diabetes-talk was mostly about pumps. There has been a
lot of discussion during the past two years or so about pumps because as you
discovered, there is no fully-accessible pump and, frankly, many blind
diabetics want the same latest and greatest gewgaws available to sighted
diabetics. While they are correct, accessible pumps and CGMS systems aren't
coming anytime soon, if only because we, the blind, are a minority and,
despite all the hype, diabetics are still a minority among the blind.

It may or may not interest you to know that I also use an insulin pen and
the only way I'd go on a pump would be if someone were to pay me to test
one. Frankly, in my view, the reason some people get such supposedly
superior results using a pump is that it forces them to do the math and pay
attention to their bg readings and insulin doses -- something they should
have been doing *without* a pump but found too burdensome or got too lazy to
keep up with.

But if you had been on Diabetes-talk, you would have seen a post from Tom
Ley who uses a CGMS system that is inaccessible but whose manufacturer has
developed linkage between the CGMS system and an iPhone to transmit data to
the doctor and for someone else to follow the readings, presumably to help
with care-giving for the diabetic using the system. Tom's imaginative
innovation was to follow himself on the iPhone and thus gain access to his
CGMS readings so that he can calibrate the system by himself.

It's this sort of can-do philosophy that NFB exemplifies and that, I fear,
is becoming less fashionable in the blindness world today in favor of
caterwauling constantly about accessibility. Mind you, I'm not knocking
accessibility. But in a world where we, the blind, are and always will be a
minority, we must develop the faculty of inventiveness that Tom's solution
exemplifies.

Besides, us pen-and-syringe users gotta stick together.

And, as I say, you'd contribute a lot I am sure.

Incidentally, as to my bona fides on this list, I'm sixty-six but quite a
few people don't know I'm that ancient. (grin)

Mike freeman