[Nfb-seniors] Great Call

S L Johnson sljohnson25 at comcast.net
Fri Feb 27 03:06:58 UTC 2015

Hello:

I am also a senior, soon to turn sixty in April.  I've been totally blind
since 1972.  I live in a senior housing development.  When neighbors see me
out walking with my guide dog, they say they cannot understand how I can
live alone without somebody to take care of me.  I've tried to offer my
assistance when I learned of seniors who have lost some vision.  I feel I
could offer helpful suggestions and be a positive role model.  However, they
never call me and I've heard that they think I could not possibly help them
because I don't have any sight at all.  It just means, that our work to
educate about blindness is never done.  We have to get people to understand
that a blind person can be an active and productive member of society.

Sandra