[Nfb-seniors] Fw: NFBNJ: Sounding Board Fall 2015, Please distribute

Janie Degenshein jdegen16 at comcast.net
Mon Oct 12 23:24:46 UTC 2015

enjoy this issue
loads of great stuff

From: Brian Mackey
Sent: Monday, October 12, 2015 4:42 PM
To: Brian Mackey
Subject: NFBNJ: Sounding Board Fall 2015, Please distribute

From the desk of NFBNJ President Joe Ruffalo.

Received from Kathy Gabry, The Sounding Board.

Greetings to all!

Please read and share with others as we continue to change attitudes to change what it means to be blind! The fall2015 issue of the Sounding Board, the publication of the National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey highlights national, state and local news and updates.  In addition, personal stories will provide the love, hope and determination to transform dreams into reality.

Enjoy reading and sharing to others.

The Sounding Board is found below and attached.

***

FALL 2015

The Sounding Board

The Publication of the National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey

In This Issue

Mana Hashimoto

Dance without Sight

Lou Ann Blake

Exercising Your Right to Vote

Privately & Independently

Jeremy Capati

Braille Literacy through Technology

Susan Vanino

CBVI’s New ASPIRE Program

Mary Jo Partyka

BELL Program

Live the Life You Want

THE SOUNDING BOARD

Fall 2015

Katherine Gabry, Editor

Jerilyn Higgins & Mary Jo Partyka, Co-editors

Published by e-mail and on the Web through Newsline and AudioVision by

The National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey

www.nfbnj.org

Joseph Ruffalo, President

State Affiliate Office   254 Spruce Street   Bloomfield, NJ 07003

e-mail: nfbnj1 at verizon.net

Please Note: The deadline for the Spring issue is March 15, 2016.

Donations should be made payable to the

and sent to the State Affiliate Office.

JACOBUS TENBROEK LEGACY SOCIETY Help build a future full of opportunity for the blind by becoming a member of the Jacobus tenBroek Legacy Society. Your legacy gift to the National Federation of the Blind can be made in the form of a will or a living trust, an income-generating gift, or by naming the NFB as a beneficiary of a retirement plan or life insurance policy. You can also become a member of the Jacobus tenBroek Legacy Society by making a legacy gift to your state affiliate. By committing to support an NFB affiliate, your gift will benefit both local and national programs, since all bequests made to affiliates are split evenly with the NFB national treasury. In addition to having the satisfaction of contributing to the future success of the NFB's mission, tenBroek Legacy Society members also receive a specially designed thank you gift and other benefits. For additional information, please contact Lou Ann Blake at the NFB Jernigan Institute by e-mail at lblake at nfb.org, or by telephone at 410-659-9314, extension 2221.

Mission StatementThe National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey, Inc. is an organization  of blind and interested sighted people who plan and carry out programs; work to improve the quality of life of the blind; provide a means of collective action for parents of blind children; promote the vocational, cultural and social advancement of the blind; achieve the integration of the blind into society on a basis of equality with the sighted; and take action that will improve the overall condition and standard of living of the blind.

The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Every day we raise the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can live the life you want; blindness is not what holds us back.

The National Federation of the Blind Pledge

I pledge to participate actively in the efforts of the National Federation of the Blind to achieve equality, opportunity and security for the blind; to support the programs and policies of the Federation; and to abide by its constitution.

The Sounding Board

The Sounding Board is the magazine of the National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey. We publish The Sounding Board twice a year. Our hope is that through The Sounding Board, our members can keep current with local, state and national news and issues of concern. We also aspire to provide a source of hope, inspiration, pride and camaraderie through the personal stories in our publication.

Hundreds of readers receive our publication via e-mail and Newsline. We’re pleased that the New Jersey Talking Book and Braille Center airs excerpts from The Sounding Board on AudioVision.  The Sounding Board is also available for download in its entirety from our website at www.nfbnj.org. We encourage our readers to share The Sounding Board with family members, teachers, professionals, neighbors, friends and any other interested parties.  We estimate our circulation to be in the thousands, as readers from across the country regularly report that The Sounding Board influences their lives. We hope you enjoy this issue.

TABLE OF CONTENTS

After the Holidays Party Invitation                                                                                                                                                        1

Presidential Message, by Joe Ruffalo                                                                                                                                                   2

Pamela Gaston to Receive the Agnes Allen Award, by Carol Castellano                                                                                 3

NFBNJ Member Recognition                                                                                                                                                                    4

1Touch Self Defense Classes in New Jersey & at State Convention, by Trisha Ebel                                                           5

Dance without Sight: Creating New Steps of Freedom, by Mana Hashimoto                                                                       6

NFBNJ Scholarship Winners, by Mary Jo Partyka                                                                                                                              8

NJAGDU Tupperware Fundraiser, by Trisha Ebel                                                                                                                           10

Legislative Update, by Lynn Reynolds                                                                                                                                                10

Vendor List for 2015 State Convention                                                                                                                                               10

Meet Our State Board Members, by Linda DeBerardinis                                                                                                            11

White Cane Safety Day: A Symbol of Independence – October 15, by Marc Maurer                                                     12

TBBC Celebrates Blindness Awareness Month 2015, by Mary Jo Partyka                                                                            13

Exercising Your Right to Vote Privately & Independently, by Lou Ann Blake                                                                      14

ASPIRE Program, by Susan Vanino                                                                                                                                                       16

Braille Literacy through Technology, by Jeremy Capati                                                                                                                17

Hidden, A Poem by Sue Tillet                                                                                                                                                                 18

BELL Rings in New Jersey, by Mary Jo Partyka                                                                                                                                 19

Families Connect as BELL Continues to Chime, by Mary Jo Partyka                                                                                        20

Huge & Heart-Felt Thanks to Our BELL Program Volunteers, by Mary jo Partyka                                                             21

BELL Program Benefits by Receiving Free Books from Seedlings, by Deborah Bond                                                       22

Parents Sometimes Have to Get Creative, Adapt & Change, by Suzanne Woolbert                                                       23

Tips for Applying Makeup, by Angela Perone                                                                                                                                 25

Update on the Vehicle Donation & GreenDrop Programs, by Mary Jo Partyka                                                                 26

GreenDrop Creates Blog to Promote the Program                                                                                                                       27

Tech Tips                                                                                                                                                                                                         29

Did You Know                                                                                                                                                                                               30

From the Kitchen of the Northeast Chapter                                                                                                                                    30

1TOUCH™ Workshop Flyer                                                                                                                                                                      31

NFBNJ Contact Info                                                                                                                                                                                    32

You are cordially invited to the

National Federation of the Blind of NJ’s 7th Annual

After the Holidays Party

Saturday, January 9, 2016

1:00 pm to 5:00 pm

Knights of Columbus Hall

94 Bridge Street, Belleville, NJ

Access Link accessible

$22 per adult; $12 for children 6- 12 years; free for children 6 & younger

Please include a separate sheet with attendees’ names & phone numbers.

All payment must be received no later than December 31, 2015.

Make check payable to NFBNJ and mail to:

Joe Ruffalo, President

NFBNJ

254 Spruce Street

Bloomfield NJ 07003

For additional information call Joe at 973-743-0075.

We’ll have door prizes, a sing–along & a special appearance by jolly old Santa!

Special note: If you would like an attendee to receive a gift from Santa, please bring a wrapped gift labeled with the name of the recipient.

MISTLETOE MAGIC MENU

Holiday Tossed Garden Salad with Vinaigrette Dressing

Chicken Savoy, Eggplant Rollatini, Meatballs, Pasta with Vodka Sauce

Assorted Cold Cuts and Potato Salad

Chicken Fingers

Rolls and Butter

Homemade Holiday Desserts

Coffee, Tea and Assorted Soft Drinks

Cash bar will be available.

Please join us in celebrating the holiday season!

We look forward to seeing all of our members, family and friends!

PRESIDENTIAL MESSAGE

Greetings Fellow Federationists!

During the summer, Judy and I spent much time at President’s Beach in Long Branch enjoying the Jersey shore, the sand, the sounds of the ocean, music, friends and good food, especially those super, red Jersey tomatoes grown in my garden! Now, with the fall season upon us, my tan is fading, and I’m reflecting on the year so far. Our eight chapters, nine divisions and numerous programs, projects and committees continue to grow, provide the truth about blindness, and support each other and the newly blind in learning the skills, techniques and positive attitude to live the life you want. This magazine, too, is a testament to our organization, and we thank all who submitted articles. Of course, there’s always more to do, and your involvement makes a difference. I hope you’ll consider joining us at a chapter or division meeting, and at this year’s State Convention, to learn more about our programs and projects, and how you can support our goal of changing what it means to be blind. Our 39th State Convention – “Live the Life You Want” – is set for November 5 – 8 at the Holiday Inn in Manahawkin. The activities, presentations, demonstrations, networking opportunities and exhibitors will educate, motivate and inspire all in attendance. This year, the convention was extended to a fourth day, which will feature a blind/diabetes workshop in partnership with Meridian Health Center and NJ CBVI, and a demonstration of the KNFB reader on IOS devices. For room reservations, call the hotel at 609-481-6100; use the code NFB. A pre-registration form and additional information can be found at www.nfbnj.org  With a heavy heart, I’ve accepted a resignation from Lynn Reynolds, who will soon be leaving New Jersey. Since 1999, Lynn has been active in the NFB family on the national, state and local levels. She’s currently our Legislative coordinator, Adopt Adaptive Equipment co-chair, Central Jersey Chapter vice president and State Affiliate board member. Her intelligence, thoughtfulness and hard work have made an incredible difference.  Lynn wrote, “I am so very thankful for all the opportunities that this affiliate has offered me. I will always have a multitude of memories and appreciation for all the members of the NFBNJ family.” Lynn, thanks for your years of friendship, effort and positive attitude. While we will miss you, we offer congratulations on a new page in your life.In this issue of The Sounding Board, our message is clear: keep moving forward, and always with the spirit of the Federation in mind. Every one of us can make a difference. I hope you enjoy this issue, and please pass it on to others – family, neighbors, teachers, whoever you can think of. Spreading our message of positive attitudes is what we continue to do best.

With best wishes,

Joe Ruffalo, President

PAMELA GASTON TO RECEIVE THE AGNES ALLEN DISTINGUISHED SERVICE AWARDBy Carol Castellano Pamela Gaston began her career in service to blind and vision-impaired New Jerseyans over 40 years ago. When she was hired, she was told not to think of herself as “just a state worker,” but to understand that the work of the New Jersey Commission for the Blind & Visually Impaired was about people’s lives. For the past four decades she has dedicated herself to this principle and continues to live up to it.  She has had many career achievements, including organizing major Commission events, writing and designing publications, and initiating activities that have become CBVI traditions, but, when asked, Pam replied, “My greatest achievement is a list of names – the people I have had the honor and privilege to assist in some way.”The NFBNJ is pleased to acknowledge the outstanding contributions Pam Gaston has made by announcing her as the second recipient of the Agnes Allen Distinguished Service Award.  We hope you will be with us at the NFB State Convention this year where we will hear more about Pam’s career at CBVI and bestow the award on this most deserving individual.The Agnes Allen Distinguished Service Award is presented to individuals who are not members of our organization, and who have made substantial contributions to improving the quality of life for the blind of New Jersey. This recognition represents the highest honor that can be given by our affiliate to a non-member, and the recipients of this award will be individuals we can regard as true friends of the blind—supportive of our progressive philosophy about blindness, instrumental in championing programs that will benefit the blind community, and dedicated to initiatives that will generate hope and promise in innumerable ways. Congratulations, Pamela Gaston!With this award, the National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey honors the life’s work of Agnes Allen. Agnes was born on the 18th of January 1924, the sixth and last child born to Mary and Louis Stone.  A serious fall from a porch swing when she was five years old left Agnes blind. She attended the Pittsburgh School for the Blind where she developed a lifelong love of learning and education, and developed her independence, confidence, capabilities and optimism. Agnes became the first blind graduate of Mount Mercy College, graduating summa cum laude. She took the formation provided by the Mercy Sisters to heart and strived to live a life of service.The only member of her family to graduate high school and college, Agnes held positions as a social worker, proofreader and salesperson. She later earned a master’s degree in English and embarked upon a teaching career. Agnes instructed blind and deaf-blind students, young children, and adults in Braille, English, math, music and life skills, and encouraged them to accept their disability and tackle any obstacle that stood in the way of achieving independence. Her dedication to the advancement of blind persons is evident in the fact that she was still tutoring blind students after her 90th birthday. A long-standing and active member of the National Federation of the Blind, Agnes has served as an officer of both the New Jersey and Connecticut affiliates, helped to found chapters, and participated in state and national conventions.  She participated in many Braille literacy campaigns and for years volunteered in the NFBNJ's BRAILLE mentoring program.  Her book, A Life Without Sight, was written to encourage blind persons and their families to make the most out of the life they were given.  Agnes’s message to all is “It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness.”Agnes Allen is the mother of three daughters and the grandmother of nine grandchildren.  Her example of generosity, love of neighbor, and joyful, positive attitude has been a great blessing to her family, friends, and colleagues. She is deeply respected and dearly loved.

NFBNJ MEMBER RECOGNITION

 Mary Jo and Stan Partyka became grandparents to Emaline this summer, and their son Keith recently returned from a 27-month stint in Rwanda At the 2106 National Convention in Orlando:Carol Castellano, named national director of programs, NOPBCBill Cucco, elected board member of the NOPBCJane Degenshein, elected board member of the National Association of Senior Blind Alice Eaddy, elected president of the NFB’s National Deaf-Blind DivisionPatricia Ebel, certified as 1 Touch instructorNicky Gacos, elected President of the National Organization of Blind MerchantsJerilyn Higgins, certified as 1 Touch instructorHolly Miller, elected second vice president of NOPBCLynn Reynolds, elected board member of the National Organization of Blind MerchantsJoe Ruffalo, received The Twig is Bent award for his continued support of the NOPBC

GET READY FOR THE NFBNJ STATE CONVENTION!

Editor’s Note: The articles on pages 5 – 10 preview events and activities set for the State Convention – “Live the Life You Want” – Nov. 5 – 8, 2015 in Manahawkin. A detailed schedule and registration information are available at www.nfbnj.org

1TOUCH SELF DEFENSE OFFERS CLASSES IN NEW JERSEY & AT STATE CONVENTION

By Trisha Ebel

Editor’s Note: Trisha Ebel is an active member of the NFBNJ and president of the New Jersey Association of Guide Dog Users. She is a certified 1Touch coach and also serves on the 1Touch Board of Directors as secretary. To sign up for the 1Touch workshop at the State Convention, please see the flyer on page 31. For more information on 1Touch, contact Trisha at 201-456-0091 or patriciaebel0302 at comcast.net.

I was introduced to the 1Touch Project at the 2014 NFB National Convention in Orlando. As I read through the agenda, in the sports and recreation section, I saw something named 1Touch Project that seemed intriguing. I decided to take the 2-hour self-defense workshop, and after that, I knew I wanted to pursue it further.

I worked with Miranda Brown, the executive administrative assistant of 1Touch, to set up a coaching certification course in New Jersey. I’m pleased to report that this past March, New Jersey had its first coaching certification class! Seven people took the course: five from New Jersey, one from Vermont and one from Ohio. The class was 2 ½ days, and I must admit that it was very exhausting, both mentally and physically.  After I finished the course, for the next few days I didn’t want to think about it or practice at all, but on the 3rd day, I was ready to rock and roll!

The 1Touch Project is the first comprehensive, hands-on, self-defense project designed for people with vision loss taught by people with vision loss.  The beauty of the project is that it can be adapted for any disability, including blindness, deafness, deaf-blindness or multiple disabilities. The project is for children, seniors, veterans and professionals in the blindness field. Not only does one learn how to protect themselves, there are other benefits as well: increased independence, self-confidence, spatial orientation, mobility and dexterity, tactile sensitivity, social interaction, communication skills, building enthusiasm and feelings of self-worth, and greater health, both physically and psychologically.

Jerilyn Higgins and I are both 1Touch certified coaches, and together we’ve instructed more than 100 students between the ages of 14 – 92.  If you’re interested in learning more about the project, or if you’re interested in taking a workshop, please don't hesitate to contact me. We also do private lessons as well!

Dance without Sight: Creating New Steps of Freedom

By Mana Hashimoto

Editor's note: Mana Hashimoto is a choreographer, contemporary dancer, dance instructor and the founder of Dance without Sight workshop. The New York Times has called Mana the “serene, imposing center of the storm,” and in 2010, she received the Asian American Arts Alliance Award. Mana has toured, performed and taught dance workshops in North America, Europe and Asia. She is passionate about improving access to dance performance and dance education for blind and low vision individuals.  Mana sings in her church choir every Sunday, and she lives with her 11-year-old daughter in New York.  To learn more about Mana's performance and workshop, visit her website www.manahashimoto.com or e-mail her at manahdance at gmail.com. Mana’s workshop at the State Convention will be held Friday afternoon, November 6.

Do you remember what kind of child you were when you were little? I was a dreamy child, and I always loved to look at the sky.  During the day, I loved to ride my bike and look at the white clouds floating in the sunny, light blue sky. At night, I would look at the silver moon hanging in the tranquil dark blue heaven.

I grew up in Tokyo and started classic ballet training at 4 years old.  When I was a teenager, one day, I suddenly lost my vision - half of my sight was gone. The condition was called optic nerve atrophy, which has no cure.

The difficulties extended beyond the physical challenges.  As a low vision individual in Japan, I faced stigma from both my community and some family members.  At times the stigma was obvious, other times it was subtle, but all the time I felt helpless. I felt lost.

I needed to take a different step, and so I came to the United States to pursue my artistic dream. I studied at the New England Conservatory and Berklee College in Boston and dance schools in New York. While studying at Martha Graham School in New York City, I began to lose more vision. For the next few months, I lived in fear as I lost the rest of my sight. Finally, 6 months later, I was completely blind. When that happened, I felt relieved. I thought to myself: Now I have nothing more to lose. What do I still have to fear?

If there is one place where any dream is possible, that place is America.  Even after losing my sight, wherever I went in New York, even when I went grocery shopping, I would secretly carry my dance shoes with me in my backpack, hoping somehow I would find a chance to dance again.  I never doubted that I could dance: I have my legs, my head, my arms, I have my body - I simply lost my sight. Most of all, I still have my passion and my dream.

Soon, my opportunity arrived. A friend took me to a ballet class at Broadway Dance Center.  In class, I learned the movements through touching her body to follow the instructions.  Three months later, I performed on the stage.  I was pursuing my dream again!  For the next 14 years, this dream would take me to stages across North America, Europe and Asia.

Dance has been my freedom.  I especially enjoy dancing solo because when I dance, I am in the moment of complete latitude.  Unlike in daily life where I face barriers, on stage I don't have to depend on anyone's help.  I can decide where to go, when to move. I can be totally independent in the limelight.

And I want to share this amazing feeling of freedom with everyone.  That is why I founded Dance without Sight workshop.  In my workshop, I share with participants my own experience of how I re-learned dance after vision loss.  Since our bodies are an important part of dance, participants learn the movements by touching my body as I simultaneously provide verbal description of each move.  They also feel various costumes, repertoire and dance shoes, and they feel with their feet the tapes on the stage that serve as landmarks.

Without sight, dance doesn't become darkness; it becomes a rich, multisensory experience.  Dance is often believed, or misbelieved, to be a strongly visually oriented art form.  In fact, dance can be experienced through touch, a sense natural to many blind individuals.  Through touch, participants can feel my mind, feel my energy, and feel my feelings and emotions as we dance.  Through each touch, through our fingers, we all share the beauty and power of dance with our hearts.

And as we dance, we learn that life is about forming your own style and creating your own steps.  Dancing with my white cane is part of my style.  My cane is my life partner that gives me independence.  It is also a part of my body. It is like my extended fingers. Being blind helps me see dance in a new light. I used to observe my every dance move in the mirror like an outsider.  But now I can focus on expressing my dance from within.  As my perspective changed, so has my view on beauty and dance. Instead of following strictly the style one is taught, each of us can create our own dance, both on stage and in life.

Now I realize why I was so mesmerized by the sky when I was little! Looking at the endless spreading sky gave me a sense of freedom. The sky exists for every human being in this world, whether you are happy or sad, black or white, Asian or Hispanic, blind or sighted, a man or a woman.  The sky reflects our collective dreams.  And through dance, I found my sky. I found my freedom.  I could not have reached this point without my blindness or my challenges.  Today, even though I cannot see the sky, I can still feel its enormity, the enormity of freedom and the dream that awaits us.  And that is why I will continue to keep working to make dance accessible for everybody, every human being, just like the sky exists for all of us.

NFBNJ SCHOLARSHIP WINNERS

By Mary Jo Partyka

The National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey’s Scholarship Committee is pleased to recognize Ida Behreini, Daniel Frye, Phil So and Danielle Sykora as this year’s scholarship winners. Ida, Daniel, Phil and Danielle will attend the State Convention in November and will receive their scholarships at the banquet on November 7.  Based on their past histories, it is anticipated that all of these students will achieve great things throughout their educational and vocational journeys.  Congratulations to all! Ida Behreini, from Bayonne, is a freshman at Drew University and plans to major in English with a specialization in journalism.  Ida graduated from a high-tech high school where she excelled and earned a 3.8 grade point average. Ida was an involved student, and she exhibited leadership qualities when she established several fund raisers and a book club. Ida is a Braille reader and uses JAWS. She acquired a guide dog this summer.  She believes she must clear some obstacles to succeed in college, but she is excited about getting involved in residential life and student-run organizations. She believes that by being an outgoing person, she can educate her peers about the capabilities of blind/visually impaired people.   Daniel Frye, of Newark, received an NFB National Scholarship in 1990 which enabled him to graduate from Erskine College in Due West, SC with a bachelor’s degree in history and a minor in government. In 1993, he earned a juris doctor degree from the University of Washington Law School. Now, Dan plans to earn a master’s degree in vocational rehabilitation counseling by taking online courses at the University of San Diego. In the future, he may seek to earn a doctorate in either educational leadership or vocational education, but for now, his educational goal is to earn specific credentials to show respect for the body of knowledge inherent in the profession of vocational rehabilitation and as a means of modeling to his staff the importance of obtaining a quality background in this unique field. Dan’s leadership qualities are evident in his position as executive director of the New Jersey Commission for the Blind and Visually Impaired (NJCBVI), which he has held since 2013.  In this position, Dan has reached out to stakeholders to take part in the design and planning for the agency, and supported our BELL program by assisting in securing a $5,000 grant from the NJCBVI Board of Trustees for supplies and equipment. According to Dan, “I use a variety of blindness skills to manage my daily life, such as cane travel, Braille and a variety of computer-assisted technology. The most important issue facing the blind community today remains broad public misunderstanding about the capacity and capability of our community to function normally in all aspects of daily life. Blindness impacts us in employment opportunities, social and political participation, information access, and a variety of discrimination, occasionally blatant and, more often, unconscious.” Danielle Sykora, is a freshman majoring in environmental science at Delaware Valley Community College in Doylestown, PA. Danielle is a graduate of Warren Hills High School where she earned a grade point average of 3.79 and was a member of the track and field team, the choir, the National Honor Society and the Future Farmers Club, of which she was elected secretary. She has also been active in the 4H club and volunteered at her local animal shelter where she walked dogs, cleaned cages, socialized the dogs with one another and assisted her coworkers. During high school, Danielle participated in the LEAD (Leadership, Education, Advocacy and Determination) program where she demonstrated excellent blindness skills.  She is a Braille reader and a white cane user, and she obtained a guide dog last summer. Danielle says her goal is to continue to provide a positive attitude, and to demonstrate proper skills and techniques in order to teach the sighted public that blindness is not the characteristic that defines her future.   Phil So, from Fort Lee, received an NFB National Scholarship at the 2002 Kentucky National Convention in Kentucky and has not stopped believing and teaching the Federation philosophy of raising peoples’ expectations to live the lives they want ever since.  Phil is pursuing a master’s degree in education and computing at Columbia Teachers College, where he maintains a 4.0 grade point average.  His educational goal concerns the intersection of technology, disability and policy in teaching computer skills to blind students.  With his background in a variety of software applications, website creation and technology accessibility in education and work settings, Phil plans to become a social entrepreneur and bring innovative solutions to solve challenges facing blind people with differing abilities.  Phil also believes in giving back to his community.  Since 2011, he has served as a board member at City University of New York Baruch College’s computer and job placement center for the blind and visually impaired.  In 2012, Phil served as the moderator at the center’s conference concerning employment, technology and the visually impaired.  He also set up a workshop for the center’s board of directors to spend a day with Google engineers at their New York office.  In 2012, Phil became a member of the Access Advisory Board at the Lower East Side Museum where this organization’s goal is to make tours and exhibits more accessible to visitors with disabilities. In summary, Phil wants to expand economic and educational opportunities to people with different disabilities.

NJAGDU Tupperware Fundraiser

By Trisha Ebel

The New Jersey Association of Guide Dog Users is sponsoring a Tupperware fundraiser through November 10, with 40% of the sales going to the Division. Our Tupperware representative, Christina Brino, will have samples available at the State Convention.  For a print catalog, or if you have any questions, please contact me at 201-456-0091 or Patriciaebel0302 at comcast.net. Here’s the Tupperware link: http://www.tupperware.com/b/10106844011?fundraiser=55f32979d8687b303cb84d8d&field_subjectbin=&field_price=&field_color_map=&searchRank=-product_site_launch_date&searchSize=12&searchPage=1&searchBinNameList=subjectbin%2Cprice%2Ccolor_map. Thanks for your support!

LEGISLATIVE UPDATE

By Lynn Reynolds

We’re currently following two legislative issues. First, the TIME Act has a bill in the Senate, recently introduced as S2001; in the House, it’s HR188.  This Act is requesting all certificate workshops that pay sub minimum wages to disabled workers to phase out this practice within a 3-year period.  As of this writing, none of the New Jersey House members or our two senators have signed on as co-sponsors.  We need to reach out to our representatives to encourage them to do so. The other issue is the SMART Act, which will make it mandatory for institutions of higher learning to make all digital textbooks accessible for all blind and print disabled students.

We need to get involved by making phone calls, sending e-mails and setting up meetings with our representatives to advocate for the things that we need as blind people to have equal opportunities so we can “live the lives we want.”

VENDOR LIST FOR 2015 STATE CONVENTION

 The vendors confirmed at press time are: NFBNJ           NJCBVI3DPhotoWorks         New Jersey State Library/TBBCC TECH          SafeGuard MarketingE.A.S.Y., LLC               SW Unlimited LLCEducational Testing Service (ETS)       The Brailler DepotEye Assist LLC             The Family Resource NetworkHeightened Independence & Progress            The Seeing EyeMackey Enterprises LLC

A SOUNDING BOARD ONGOING SERIES

MEET OUR STATE BOARD MEMBERS

By Linda DeBerardinis

Editor’s Note: This series continues, leading up to the 40th anniversary of the NFBNJ in 2016.

My name is Linda Jo Mazzarella DeBerardinis. I was born and raised in Philadelphia, and moved to the Garden State about 25 years ago, where I call Delran home. I feel blessed to have two fantastic daughters, three wonderful granddaughters and two adorable great-grandchildren.

My children made very good subjects for my passion:  photography. Prior to becoming blind, I took photos of everything – from statues to animals, from people to scenery. I often framed my favorite prints, or decoupaged them to wood.

My other interests include wild life and traveling. My two favorite vacation spots are Colorado and Sanibel Island, Florida. When my girls and I visited Colorado in 1982, I was awed by the beauty of the majestic Rocky Mountains.  Sanibel Island is just off the West Coast of Florida. I have visited this island with and without my sight, and every year find it more enchanting. I love waking up and hearing unusual birds singing! It is a wildlife-protected island, where the beauty makes relaxing easy.

I was employed at Amtrak for many years, and I met my wonderful husband there. He passed away close to three years ago, but those who knew him knew he was the sweetest man around. Mario was always supportive of me and, in turn, the NFB, as well.

I lost my eyesight overnight from a brain tumor operation, where my optic nerve was damaged during the surgery. I was 39 years old. In 1993 I found the NFB, and things haven’t been the same since! I went to my first meeting as a timid woman, guided by my mother, but soon my natural “people person” instincts took over. I love making people laugh and helping others, and I’ve found a perfect fit with the NFBNJ.

Today, I attend every New Jersey State Convention. In addition to serving on the State Affiliate’s Board of Directors, I’m the treasurer of my chapter, a member of the Scholarship Committee and a member of the Membership-Building Committee, and I serve as the coordinator for the GreenDrop Program. My dedication and love for this wonderful organization can never be measured. I’m very grateful to those who have encouraged me along the way. It’s now my turn to encourage others and give back what I have learned. I am a true Federationist!

White Cane Safety Day: A Symbol of Independence – OCTOBER 15

By Marc Maurer

Editor’s Note: This article is reprinted with permission. In addition, the Nebraska Center for the Blind has created a video training series called “Pathways to Independence.” The link to their video on cane travel can be found at   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV9XFzKo1aE&feature=em-subs_digest-

In February of 1978 a young blind lady said, “I encounter people all of the time who bless me, extol my independence, call me brave and courageous, and thoroughly miss the boat as to what the real significance of the white cane is.”

The National Federation of the Blind in convention assembled on the 6th day of July, 1963, called upon the governors of the fifty states to proclaim October 15 of each year as White Cane Safety Day in each of our 50 states. On October 6, 1964, a joint resolution of the Congress, HR 753, was signed into law authorizing the President of the United States to proclaim October 15 of each year as “White Cane Safety Day.” This resolution said: “Resolved by the Senate and House of Representatives… that the President is hereby authorized to issue annually a proclamation designating October 15 as White Cane Safety Day and calling upon the people of the United States to observe such a day with appropriate ceremonies and activities.”

Within hours of the passage of the congressional joint resolution authorizing the President to proclaim October 15 as White Cane Safety Day, then-President Lyndon B. Johnson recognized the importance of the white cane as a staff of independence for blind people. In the first Presidential White Cane Proclamation, President Johnson commended the blind for the growing spirit of independence and the increased determination to be self-reliant that the organized blind had shown. The Presidential proclamation said: The white cane in our society has become one of the symbols of a blind person’s ability to come and go on his own. Its use has promoted courtesy and special consideration to the blind on our streets and highways. To make our people more fully aware of the meaning of the white cane and of the need for motorists to exercise special care for the blind persons who carry it, Congress, by a joint resolution approved as of October 6, 1964, has authorized the President to proclaim October 15 of each year as White Cane Safety Day.

Now, therefore, I, Lyndon B. Johnson, President of the United States of America do hereby proclaim October 15, 1964 as White Cane Safety Day.

With those stirring words President Johnson issued the first White Cane Proclamation which was the culmination of a long and serious effort on the part of the National Federation of the Blind to gain recognition for the growing independence and self-sufficiency of blind people in America, and also to gain recognition of the white cane as the symbol of that independence and that self-reliance.

The first of the state laws regarding the right of blind people to travel independently with the white cane was passed in 1930. In 1966, Dr. Jacobus tenBroek, the founder of the NFB drafted the model White Cane Law. This model act - which has become known as the Civil Rights Bill for the Blind, the Disabled, and the Otherwise Physically Handicapped-contains a provision designating October 15 as White Cane Safety Day. Today there is a variant of the White Cane Law on the statute books of every state in the nation.

From 1963 (and even before) when the NFB sought to have White Cane Safety Day proclaimed as a recognition of the rights of blind persons, to 1978 when a blind pedestrian met with misunderstanding regarding the true meaning of the white cane, is but a short time in the life of a movement. In 1963, a comparatively small number of blind people had achieved sufficient independence to travel alone on the busy highways of our nation.

In 1978 that number has not simply increased but multiplied a hundredfold. The process began in the beginning of the organized blind movement and continues today. There was a time when it was unusual to see a blind person on the street, to find a blind person working in an office, or to see a blind person operating machinery in a factory. This is still all too uncommon. But it happens more often and the symbol of this independence is the white cane. The blind are able to go, to move, to be, and to compete with all others in society. The means by which this is done is that simple tool, the white cane. With the growing use of the white cane is an added element–-the wish and the will to be free–-the unquenchable spirit and the inextinguishable determination to be independent. With these, our lives are changed, and the prospects for blind people become bright. That is what White Cane Safety Day is all about. That is what we do in the National Federation of the Blind.

TBBC Celebrates Blindness Awareness Month 2015

By Mary Jo Partyka

The NJ State Library Talking Book & Braille Center (TBBC) hosted its Fall Festival Saturday, October 10, 2015 at the Grounds for Sculpture. TBBC serves NJ residents who are visually impaired and people with reading disabilities.  This year’s activities started with a 2-hour continental breakfast with the vendors, followed by the opportunity to attend book club group discussions, innovative hands-on workshops and walking tours of the grounds. Approximately 200 people attended the festival. The weather was so nice that I could feel the enthusiasm of those touring the Grounds for Sculpture.  The docents provided explanations which pointed out the nature of the different sculpture pieces in each group.  I hope you will consider attending future Fall Festivals.

EXERCISING YOUR RIGHT TO VOTE PRIVATELY & INDEPENDENTLY

By Lou Ann Blake

Editor’s Note:  Lou Ann Blake from the National Center submitted the following article on the Help America Vote Act and blind people being able to exercise their right to vote.  A video on the subject is available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_yTfEO2Kz8.

As the 2016 election season approaches, it is extremely important that voters who are blind or visually impaired know their rights and how to apply them when barriers to the right to vote privately and independently are encountered at the polling place. While sighted voters are able to take for granted the right to vote privately and independently, it is not uncommon for blind and visually impaired voters to encounter barriers to the exercise of this right at the polling place. Poorly trained poll workers and the absence of an accessible voting system may result in the blind voter having to vote with assistance. However, when a blind or visually impaired voter knows her rights and how to apply that knowledge, barriers encountered at the polling place can frequently be removed.

Your Right to Vote Privately and Independently

Prior to the passage of the Help America Vote Act (HAVA) in 2002, voters who were blind or visually impaired had to rely on sighted assistance to mark their ballot. HAVA has enabled voters with disabilities to fully exercise the fundamental right to vote privately and independently by requiring that every polling place have at least one accessible voting system for all federal elections. In addition, many states have enacted legislation to require at least one accessible voting system in each polling place for all state and local elections.

What to Expect at Your Polling Place

If you are voting on Election Day, you will need to go to the polling place for your election district or precinct. The location of your polling place will be indicated on your voter registration card. You may also be able to find your polling place location on the website of your local or state board of elections.

Once you have arrived at your polling place, you will need to check in with poll workers by giving your name and requesting an accessible voting system. Be aware that you may need to repeat your request to use an accessible voting system. After your check-in process is complete, a poll worker will show you where the accessible voting system is located and hand you the headphones and control box. Once the audio ballot has started, the poll worker should walk away so you can vote in private.

What to Do When Things go Wrong

Poll workers have many responsibilities on Election Day. In addition, the training they receive on the accessible voting system is frequently insufficient to equip them with the knowledge they need to set up and operate the system, and to resolve any problems that may occur. Consequently, it is not uncommon for blind and low vision voters to encounter poll workers who do not know how to set up or operate the accessible voting system.

If upon your arrival at the polling place for a federal election, poll workers tell you that the accessible voting system is not available or not working, or if the system malfunctions while you are voting, it is extremely important that you politely, but firmly, insist on your right to vote privately and independently. Request that an accessible system be brought to the polling place, or that a technician be sent to the polling place to repair the system. If poll workers offer to assist you in marking a paper ballot, politely decline this offer, and firmly, but politely, repeat your desire to vote privately and independently using an accessible system.

In many cases when a voter is patient and politely, but firm, insists on her right to vote using an accessible system, poll workers are able to resolve the problem. However, if poll workers have made every attempt to honor your request, but are unable to provide an accessible voting system that operates properly, you should still exercise your right to vote by voting with assistance.

If you are unable to vote privately and independently on an accessible voting system at your polling place during a federal election because there is no accessible system available or the system is not operating, the most important thing you can do is to file a HAVA complaint with your state or local board of elections. While HAVA guarantees the right of blind and visually impaired voters to vote privately and independently, it does not provide them a means to enforce this right through private action when it is violated. Therefore, filing a HAVA complaint is the most effective way blind voters can be sure that problems are brought to the attention of election officials and the U.S. Department of Justice, which has authority to enforce HAVA. Because there is no private right of action under HAVA, it is imperative that blind voters who are not able to vote privately and independently at their polling place during a federal election file a HAVA complaint so that the Justice Department has a true picture of the problems that voters with disabilities are experiencing.

Make Your Voice Heard

The United States Constitution guarantees the right of all blind and visually impaired citizens to vote, and the exercise of this right is vital to the function of our democratic form of government. With the passage of HAVA, it is now possible for blind and visually impaired citizens to exercise their right to vote both privately and independently. Making your voice heard through voting is imperative because state and federal elected officials implement policies and pass legislation that directly affect our lives as blind or visually impaired people. Make your voice heard. Register to vote and exercise your right and responsibility to vote!

ASPIRE PROGRAM

By Susan Vanino

Editor’s Note:  Susan Vanino is the Support Program Coordinator for the ASPIRE Program. She is a licensed social worker with a master’s degree from New York University. Susan began losing her own vision during childhood, struggling alone for many years to adjust to blindness, and this is just one of the reasons she’s so passionate about the ASPIRE Program.  Susan welcomes your questions and thoughts about the program. You can contact her by phone at 973-648-2821, or by e-mail at Susan.vanino at dhs.state.nj.us.  The ASPIRE program is offered through the New Jersey Commission for the Blind and Visually Impaired. CBVI Executive Director Dan Frye will present at the State Convention on Saturday morning, November 7.

As the number of seniors losing vision continues to rise, many of the “older blind” are dealing with difficulties associated with living a quality life with vision loss.  Life events such as chronic and debilitating vision loss and the diminishing ability to participate in once cherished activities can take a heavy toll on an aging person’s emotional well-being.  Vision loss can often give rise to negative emotions such as anxiety, sadness, loneliness and lowered self-esteem.

I am very enthusiastic about ASPIRE, an exciting new program now offered by the New Jersey Commission for the Blind and Visually Impaired (CBVI) that is likely to change the quality of life for many older adults living with blindness and vision impairments.  ASPIRE – Assistive Support Programs for Independence, Renewal and Education – is a state-wide network of peer support groups designed to provide individuals who are  living with vision loss the opportunity to gain the necessary coping skills, information and education needed to thrive.

ASPIRE is administered by the Independent Living Unit of CBVI, and though geared towards those with vision loss who are 55 years or older, the program is available to all adults interested in attending.  Our peer support groups connect people who share the same life experience.  Through attendance in monthly group meetings, program participants talk with one another for emotional support, to exchange useful information, and to find practical solutions for challenges related to low vision and blindness.  ASPIRE helps people with vision loss to realize they are not alone and that they can achieve much more than they ever thought possible.

Braille Literacy through Technology
By Jeremy Capati

Editor’s Note: Jeremy Capati, a former New Jersey LEAD student, interned at the White House this past spring and at the National Center this past summer. He is currently a student at Ramapo College. In this article, he describes how he came to the realization that Braille really would make his life more full. This article is also available at www.nfb.org.

As a summer intern for the Jernigan Institute, I came to realize that there were many areas in which I needed to improve in order to gain more confidence and independence. It has been about 10 years since I became blind, and I have to credit the National Federation of the Blind for pulling me off the dark path that I was going down. The Federation shed light on the importance of receiving training, and as a graduate of the Colorado Center for the Blind, I can state that I can confidently use the majority of the blindness skills taught there. My pride and stubbornness allowed me to leave the center with the perception that it was acceptable to barely read and write Braille.

After my training at the Colorado Center, I returned to college and was still a successful student by using technology and other strategies to avoid the reality that I was still missing an integral piece by not applying Braille to my daily routine. Currently, I am comfortable with access technology such as JAWS, Kurzweil 1000 and Voiceover for the iPhone. My next move is to consistently practice and apply Braille. I had the patience to learn to use access technology, and with that same patience, I must take my development as a blind person to another level in finally accepting the need for Braille.

My direct supervisor and the executive director of the Jernigan Institute, Anil Lewis, has shared how the Federation challenges interns and other Federationists to be better. The feedback from the Federation can be direct: The NFB tells it like it is, even if it is something one would not want to hear.  Anil’s honest assessment of my skills in the areas of technology and Braille was a wake-up call. It turns out that I have some limitations. For example, during the National Convention in Orlando, a critical part of the week was deliberating the types of policies that the Federation will engage in with the Resolutions Committee. I was selected to speak in favor of a resolution on the ABLE Act, which allows the disability community, including those who are blind, to set up an account that enables us to set aside money for housing, employment, transportation, healthcare, etc., without impacting benefits such as supplemental security income. Since I focus on memorizing my presentations when I speak formally, I lose a crucial part of public speaking, which is being comfortable and confident.  My presentation to the Resolutions Committee was a disorganized, rambling train of thought that could have been avoided if my preparation had included Braille and a concise set of bulleted notes (in Braille) to refer to as needed. I have experienced this situation a number of times in college, as well, and it’s time to be proactive in being a well-rounded person.

The accessible technology week of my internship was timely. The access technology team laid out the various hardware and software options that I could use to be more independent and productive in school, as well as in the work force. I realized that I could be a more proficient Braille reader and writer with the use of technology. Towards the end of the week, I reached out to President Riccobono to share my thoughts and listen to the advice he had. He reinforced the value of Braille and emphasized that it’s never too late to become more proficient. He suggested practicing reading and writing 30 minutes a day and including Braille in my daily routine. The use of technology to increase my Braille skills would be applied in increments and at different levels. The first level is to have hard copy of Braille to read while listening to my screen reader, JAWS, or to Voiceover on my iPhone. As I read and listen, the audio reassurance from JAWS can guide me in the recognition of words and gradually build speed. This is a basic and cost-effective way to combine technology and Braille, and allows me to practice independently. Next is to use a Braille display or BrailleNote to read and write messages, and this is an ideal option to increasing my reading and writing speed. This is a straight-forward plan for combining technology and Braille that requires a great amount of time and patience.   Consistent motivation and discipline in the use of Braille and technology will enhance my blindness skills. I admit that this will be a difficult process, especially as I near graduation and hope to enter the work force, but as the NFB has shown time and patience in mentoring me, I must give myself the same energy in becoming a more complete blind individual.

HIDDEN, A POEM BY SUE TILLET