[Nfb-seniors] North Carolina - News and Views - Affiliate Newsletter

Robert Leslie Newman newmanrl at cox.net
Mon Dec 26 12:54:52 UTC 2016

NEWS AND VIEWS

Sharon Weddington, President                    Katherine W. Barr, Editor

137 Kristens Court Drive                                            3326
Sharon Road

Mooresville, NC 28115                                             Charlotte,
NC 28211

(704) 660-3481
(704) 364-4808

Newsletter of the

National Federation of the Blind

of North Carolina

APRIL, 2016

Federation Board Members 2013-2014

NFB of NC

President:

Sharon Weddington

137 Kristens Court Drive

Mooresville, NC 28115

phone: 704-660-3481

cell: 704-302-7308

e-mail: locagirl at windstream.net <mailto:locagirl at windstream.net>

First Vice-President:

Tim Jones

76 Silver Lake Pt.

Sanford, NC 27332

cell: 704-491-1486

e-mail: tmjnc2 at gmail.com <mailto:tmjnc2 at gmail.com>

Second Vice-President:

Charles Parker

105 Old Barn Lane

Rocky Mount NC 27804

phone: 252-977-1960

e-mail: angusparker at suddenlink.net <mailto:angusparker at suddenlink.net>

Secretary:

Pat Yarbrough

327 Bidney Dr.

Burlington, NC 27215

e-mail: triad.rr.com

Treasurer:

Boyce Locklear

P O Box 2633

Lumberton, NC 28359

cell: 910-734-4431

e-mail: blocklear44 at gmail.com <mailto:blocklear44 at gmail.com>

News & Views Editor:

Katherine Barr

3326 Sharon Rd.

Charlotte, NC 28211

phone: 704-364-4808

e-mail: harrysbarr at gmail.com <mailto:harrysbarr at gmail.com>

Board Members:

Joy Scott

1111 Ivey Church Road

Maiden, NC 28650

phone: 828-428-3239

cell: 864-483-3455

e-mail: joynjesus at live.com <mailto:joynjesus at live.com>

Alan Chase

1217 Manassas court Unit C

Raleigh, NC 27609

phone: 910-612-2220

e-mail: achase11 at nc.rr.com <mailto:achase11 at nc.rr.com>

Julius Locklear

2228 Leadenhall Way

Raleigh NC 27603

cell: 910-740-1129

e-mail: julius.locklear1 at gmail.com <mailto:julius.locklear1 at gmail.com>

Ronald Broadnax

405 Southshore Parkway

Durham, NC 27703

phone: 919-596-0837

cell: 919-740-9131

e-mail: rbroadnax at frontier.com <mailto:rbroadnax at frontier.com>

Laurancene Murphy

2930 Zion Renaissance

Charlotte, NC 28269

phone: 704-971-0303

e-mail: lsm4 at ctc.net <mailto:lsm4 at ctc.net>

Rosie Bethea

1449 Hawkcrest Lane

Winston Salem NC 27127

phone: 336-816-1777

email: rosiebethea at att.net <mailto:rosiebethea at att.net>

Wanda Toler

355 Toler Road

Ernul NC 28527

phone: 252-637-2364

email: billiam_99 at hotmail.com <mailto:billiam_99 at hotmail.com>

EDITOR'S NOTE

Greetings and a happy summer to all! After 21 years, it's time to resign as
editor! My deepest thanks to Bob Scheffel at Metrolina Association for the
Blind, who drops everything to update the mailing list. Thanks also to
Crystal Sharr who magically creates the typed master copy. Thanks also to
Miriam Dixon who handles the e-mail transmissions Deepest thanks to Jim
Barroll, whose reasonant voice enhances the cassette version. My heartfelt
thanks to my husband Harry Barr, for his cheerful duplication of the
cassettes, and his ever-increasing role with all aspects of the newsletter
through 21 years. My grateful thanks to our new editor, Maria Kraft and her
husband Howard. May God continue to bless all of you as we work to make the
world a better place.

The Editor

THE PRESIDENT'S MESSAGE

By Sharon Weddington

NEWS AND VIEWS SPECIAL ALERT

This is the last issue of the News and Views edited by Katherine Barr. We
can't say enough to thank you Katherine and Harry for all the hours you
spent through the years keeping the Federationist of North Carolina up to
date on the happenings across the state. We could always depend on the News
and Views coming to keep us informed even during times of sickness,
accidents and other events that happen in life. We will surely miss you but
want to say thanks again for your service.

It is sad to think that the News and Views may stop arriving at our homes,
but this may happen. It is not because we don't have an editor because we
do. Maria Kraft and her husband Howard will be our new editors. The problem
is they may not have anything to send. We have tried to contact all chapters
and ask them to send in articles, but have received little response for the
past several newsletters. We are not asking for long documents about
everything your chapter is doing, but just asking for a little something
from chapters about fund raisers, sickness, death and events planned. We are
all like family and do care.

We will send out the next issue of the News and Views around August 1. If we
do not receive enough articles to justify sending the newsletter that will
be the last until further notice. Will you please do your part to make sure
our newsletter keeps arriving?

I do want to acknowledge a few chapters that always contributed articles to
the newsletter. Gary Ray Buncombe chapter, Charles Parker Nash-Edgecomb
chapter, and Mary Le O'Daniel Mecklenburg chapter.

A message will go out to all chapters letting you know where to send your
articles for the August newsletter. Members at large will also be contacted
if your dues are current.

Sharon Weddington

President, NFB of NC

Buncombe Chapter April 2016

by Gary Ray

In 2015, three of our members attended the National Convention. The Davis
family reported on the event at our August 2015 meeting. It was particularly
impressive to hear about NFB setting a new Guinness record at the
convention.

Three of our members attended the State Convention in Wilmington in
September of 2015. Kim Owen, Joanne Baker, and Gary Ray. Kim and Gary
reported on the event at the October 2015 Chapter meeting. It was great to
see many of the other members of our NC Federation family. Anil Lewis was
the National Rep and did a fantastic job.

We continue to participate in the Belk's Charity Day event. We cover 3
stores; the Asheville Mall store, the Four Seasons Mall store in
Hendersonville, and the store in Waynesville. The Charity Day event is our
major fund raising effort during the year.

Our chapter had an excellent Christmas party and meeting in December of
2015.

BFB is working on a project to install bronze US flags with braille on them
around Asheville. Our first location is the McCune Center in Black Mountain
where we hold Chapter meetings. We are enlisting financial support from area
Lions Clubs.

In February of this year, we donated a set of braille and print Kernal Books
to the McCune Center library.

An Ad Hoc committee has been appointed for the purpose of planning a
membership drive in 2016.

Lincoln county Federation of the Blind Chapter.

by Carolyn Goforth

As President of the LCFB Chapter, I am speaking for the LCFB of Lincoln
County. I am really proud of our outstanding group.

Hi, my fellow chapters. We here in Lincoln County are doing very well.

We have been doing fund raisers and doing well.

We have, 10 Life time members and 31 total members, so I think we have done
pretty well for a small county.

I hope this gives some insight of what we are doing in Lincoln County.

Have a Blessed Day

News from NFB of Mecklenburg County

Mary Le O'Daniel

Much thanks to our State Officers and Board for an informative and fun
convention.

We have completed our annual raffle and Schwan Foods fundraisers. We will
all be eating well!

We had 10 members who attended the National Convention and 13 members
attended the State Convention.

As many of you know, we lost another long term member of our Chapter. Nell
Speidel, who was our Hospitality Chair for many years, passed away. It does
not seem very long ago that Nell and her husband, Dick, were hosting our
annual picnic. Nell will be greatly missed.

We had a wonderful Christmas party with entertainment provided by Camille
Gotta, Wil Lee, a very talented saxophone player, and games provided by Pat
MacLean. The games were full of fun and hilarity. We sponsored a family for
Christmas. Former DSB Social Worker, Rosemary Mayes, helped purchase and
wrap the gifts for the family of 4, two of whom have vision loss.

We are working hard on our Bingo fundraiser, April 8th, and preparations for
the State Convention.

We have already welcomed 5 new members this year.

HEAR YE! HEAR YE! COME ONE, COME ALL!

The National Federation of the Blind of Mecklenburg County invites you to
attend the 2016 NFB State Convention. Our theme will be: "That Was Then,
This Is Now." All of us can come up with memories of the way things were for
the blind, and how the NFB has changed them. Bring your memories to the
convention.

The convention will take place September 16, 17, & 18, 2016 at the Holiday
Inn Little Rock Road. Plans are well underway to keep you entertained and
informed. The Red Carpet is currently being cleaned and readied for your
arrival. Get your "glad rags on." Holiday Inn, Airport 2707 Little Rock Road
Charlotte, NC 28214. For reservations call: 704-394-4301 (tell them you are
with NFB). Room rate: $108.34 singles, doubles, triples, & quads

Nash-Edgecombe Chapter

By Charles Parker

The Nash-Edgecombe NFB Chapter is wishing our fellow chapters and members a
prosperous New Year.

Earlier in November we participated in the Belk charity day sale and did a
little shopping ourselves.

We held our elections in November. Officers for 2016 are: president, Charles
Parker; vice-president, Larry Herring; secretary, Mary Hedgepeth; treasurer,
Walter Sumner; board member, Dianne Batchlor. We thank Crystal Evans who
served as secretary and Judy Evans who served as board member in 2015.

In December our chapter again participated in the Salvation Army's bell
ringing at the Wal-Mart location.

Also, in December we donated a $50 Food Lion gift Card to a blind individual
in need in both Nash and Edgecombe Counties. These folks would not be
receiving a food box from a local lions club.

Our chapter met at Mr. Ribs for our annual Christmas party. And enjoyed
eating ribs, steaks and seafood. We wrapped up our party by auctioning items
donated by our members and area businesses. We made $400 on this event.

We're starting our annual Mother's Day drawing for 2016. There will be four
gift cards of: first, $40 Outback Restaurant: second. $30 Red Lobster
Restaurant: third. $25 Cracker Barrel Restaurant; and fourth, two buffets at
Golden Corral Restaurant. Tickets are $1 each. A minimum of five tickets can
be by mail by making checks payable to Nash-Edgecombe Chapter. Mail your
check to Charles Parker; 105 Old Barn Lane; Rocky Mount, NC 27804.

NEWS FLASH!

2016 State Convention

The 2016 NFB of NC State convention is coming September 16-18. Note this
year it will begin on Friday and end on Sunday. You are still welcome to
arrive on Thursday.

The Mecklenburg chapter will be hosting this year's convention, so you don't
want to miss this one for sure. Information about the convention will be on
our website Monday April 18. A few things you need to know:

The location is the Holiday Inn Airport on Little Rock Road, Charlotte, NC.

Rooms are $108 and change including tax per night. Your choice is 1 king bed
or 2 queen beds. To reserve a room please call 704-394-4301. Be sure to tell
them you are with the NFB convention.

There is a restaurant in the hotel.

The banquet will be Saturday evening and the cost is $30 per person. All
banquet tickets must be purchased by September 1. There will be no tickets
at the convention for the banquet. To purchase please send check made
payable to NFB of NC to Sharon Weddington 137 Kristens Court Drive,
Mooresville, NC 28115. Be sure to note for banquet with name for each
ticket.

Registration is $10 per person in advance and $15 at the convention.
Registering online does not give you the discount. You must send your check
by September 1 to get the discount. You must be registered to get your name
in the pot for door prizes and you must be registered to get in the banquet.

You can register online, but you must send your registration payment in
advance to Sharon Weddington 137 Kristens Court Drive, Mooresville, NC
28115. All checks must be made payable to the NFB of NC.

This will be the best convention yet so make your plans to attend.

Updates will be coming to all chapters.

We are asking each chapter to bring at least 3 door prizes valued at $5
each.

I hope to see you there.

Sharon Weddington

SPONSORSHIP

This year more than 150 members and friends of the National Federation of
the Blind of North Carolina (NFB of NC) will be attending the annual state
convention to be held September 16-18, 2016 at the Holiday Inn
Charlotte-Airport Convention Center, 2707 Little Rock Rd., Charlotte, NC
28214

Our annual state convention theme for this year is "That Was Then; This Is
Now". The NFB is a membership organization of more than 50,000 blind persons
nationwide... parents of blind children, blind students, blind entrepreneurs
and interested others of which there are 13 chapters in North Carolina. We
encourage you to refer friends or family members with vision loss to contact
us.

At our convention we will be distributing our annual "Sponsorship Book" (The
book will also be posted on our website.) By becoming a Platinum, Gold, or
Silver level sponsor, you will demonstrate your commitment to assisting the
blind of North Carolina. Please consider purchasing an ad; The National
Federation of the Blind of North Carolina is a nonprofit 501C-3 organization
and is principally supported by public contributions from friends and
partners like you. Without that support we would not be able to fulfill our
mission in "changing what it means to be blind". All contributors are
welcome to join us for an eventful and inspiring convention! Thank you.

Yours truly,

Sharon Weddington, President

SPONSORSHIP

Along with your sponsorship please send your company business card, logo,
brochure or any other pertinent information that you wish to be included in
your ad and a check made payable to: NFB of NC and mail to: Sharon
Weddington, 137 Kristens Ct, Mooresville, NC 28715

Special Opportunities for Sponsors: (Deadline for Sponsorships' Receipts is
August 25, 2016)

Platinum Sponsorship Level -$250 (full page ad in the souvenir book)

Gold Sponsorship Level - $100 (1/2 page ad in the souvenir book)

Silver Sponsorship Level - $50 - (name listed in souvenir book)

704-302-7308 (cell)

Weddington.sharon at gmail.com

New Membership Cards

Our new membership cards are in. The cards are bi-fold, similar in size to a
business card when folded. On the front, they feature our logo. They open
vertically and on the upper half of the card is a QR code that leads to a
webpage that contains basic NFB information such as our one minute message
and the NFB pledge. The bottom half has a place for the new member's name to
be written or Brailled, the date they joined, and the signature of the
chapter president. The signature of the National President is on the lower,
right-hand side. The very back of the card says "Live the life you want."
These are shipped at no cost to you in bundles of twenty-five, and you can
contact Danielle Trevino via email at dtrevino at nfb.org to order yours.

Preregistration for the National convention is Open:

You can preregister for the 2016 National Federation of the Blind Convention
at http://www.nfb.org/registration. You can also mail a completed
preregistration form which can be found in the Braille Monitor.
Preregistration will close on May 31, 2016.

Kenneth Jernigan Convention Scholarship Fund:

The Kenneth Jernigan Convention Scholarship Fund is accepting letters
requesting funding assistance through April 15, 2016. Details can be found
in the Braille Monitor article. Contact President Sharon Weddington if you
want to apply for this scholarship.

Phone: 704-660-3431

email: Weddington.sharon at gmail.com

TICKET TIME

It is that time again to put on our selling hats and raise money for the
Staley Scholarship Fund. The tickets are $1 each and the prizes are $300
Wal-Mart card, $100 gas card and a $50 Cracker Barrel card. Since we give
away gift cards, you can sell your tickets anywhere to anybody, near or far.

In the past the proceeds went into the general fund, but this year we have
decided we need to raise money for the Scholarship Fund. All monies raised
will go to help blind and visually impaired students go to college.

Each chapter will receive tickets in the mail and should start passing them
out asap. Please send stubs and monies to: Sharon Weddington, 137 Kristens
Court Drive, Mooresville, NC 28115. All checks should be made payable to NFB
of NC and marked ticket sales. Drawing will be September 17 at our annual
convention during the banquet.

Every member who sells 50 tickets or more will have their name placed in a
drawing for $50 in cash. When sending in your stubs and monies you must note
the name of the person who sold 50 tickets so we will know to add their name
to the drawing. Let's set a record for sales this year!

Sharon Weddington

President NFB of NC

LET'S LAUGH!

A minister was talking to a children's Sunday School class about kindness to
animals. He cited the Biblical references to substantiate his case.

"Now let's suppose," he said, "that you saw a bad person cutting off the
tail of a cat. What Biblical quotation would you use to tell him of the
terrible wrong he was doing?"

"I would point out to him," one of the class said, "what God hath joined
together, let no man put asunder. (Mt. 19:6)"