[Nfb-seniors] NFBN Senior Division May Phone Meeting - May 8th

Robert Leslie Newman newmanrl at cox.net
Mon May 1 23:51:38 UTC 2017

Hi you all

RE: Notice of our May meeting!

(Visitors are welcome)

Contents of this message:

*When and how to get on the call

*Agenda

*Minutes from our last meeting - pasted below

*The NFB Pledge

*#1 When and How to Get On the Call:

Date: Monday May 8th

Time: 6:00 MT, 7:00 CT

Phone: 1-712-451-0011

Access Code: 345154Pound

*#2 Agenda:

-First- Come-to-order, say our NFB pledge Nancy Oltman will recite our
pledge)

-Second- secretary & treasurers Reports Will be discussed and approved
and/or accepted

--OLD BUSINESS:

-More thoughts on our part in the 2017 convention?

-Reminder of - Any one need tech training? (More on Friends of the
commission's ANTS project.)

-Anything you may bring

--NEW BUSINESS:

-Anything you may bring

*#3 Philosophical Discussion: We will have a special guest, Ellen Ringlein;
manager of the NFB's Independence Market. This discussion will be not only
informational, but philosophical in nature.

--Finally- Brags & Drags

--Adjournment

*#4 NFB Pledge:

 I pledge to participate actively in the efforts of the National

Federation of the Blind to achieve equality, opportunity, and security for
the blind; to support the policies and programs of the Federation; and to
abide by its constitution.

**Last months minutes:

NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND OF NEBRASKA SENIOR DIVISION MEETING MINUTES

Monday, April 10, 2017

The NFBN Senior Division met by telephone conference on Monday, April 10,
2017. President Robert Newman called the meeting to order at 7:08 CDT.
Members present were: Robert Newman, President; Barbara Loos, Vice
President; Linda Mentink, Secretary; Nancy Oltman, Board Member; Gina
Finnell, Geralynn Konruff, and Brad Loos. Guest present were: Nancy Yeager
from Virginia and Warren Bennet and Della Johnston.

Gina recited the NFB Pledge. Nancy Oltman will recite it next month.

Linda read the minutes of the March meeting. The paragraph about Barbara's
report on the Mobility Management Statewide Coordinating Committee meeting
will be reworded. Barbara moved, Nancy seconded, that the minutes be
approved as corrected. The motion carried.

In the absence of the Treasurer, there was no treasurer's report. Barbara
asked why there had been no activity in the account. Linda answered that
Cheryl said that the PAC had not been taken out.

Brad and Barbara attended the State Board meeting. Barbara reported that
they are glad about our wanting to do the fit breaks during convention
again. Nothing was said about the after-banquet Camaraderie. Amy may talk
with Robert about that. The 2017 convention will not be in Columbus because
the hotel does not have any dates available in October. It will be back at
the Divots Hotel in Norfolk. The next State Board Meeting will still be held
in Columbus because chapter members want to attend. The Walk for
Independence will be May 20 in Lincoln. The BELL Academy will be June 12-23
in Lincoln. They were brainstorming about how to use the bequest money. They
decided to create a grant for someone to go to the State Convention,
preferably a first-timer, but it could also be a parent of a blind child or
a family. This grant will be named after Gwendolyn Mangnall. The money is
currently in a Vanguard account. Half will be given to the National
Federation of the Blind. Amy will probably present it at the National
Convention. The students are having more of a presence on FaceBook, and
there was a college workshop that went very well.

OLD BUSINESS. Robert mentioned the Friends of the Commission ANTS project.
They are still taking names of students and trainers.

New Business. Robert asked Nancy Yeager to share about their new Senior
Division in Virginia. For the past two years they have had senior seminars
at their state conventions. They were chartered at their state convention in
November. They have approximately 20 members. They have a listserv. They
have monthly conference call meetings on the fourth Wednesday of each month.
At their first meeting they came up with a bunch of topics, and are trying
to work them in. So far they have talked about depression and learning how
to do something. Their next topic will be hearing loss. Nancy is the
president.

Barbara read the schedule for the Department of Roads open houses. She will
also post it to our listserv.

Della informed us that she just got word that Brett Clark passed away
quietly at home.

Geralynn read the thought provoker for our philosophical discussion,
"Blindness and Sharks." We talked about blind people we know who are stunted
by the environment in which they are kept or raised. No one had any ideas
for a philosophical discussion for next month.

BRAGS AND DRAGS. Robert shared about the death of his father-in-law,
visiting him as his body slowly shut down.

Gina was watching Cheyenne TV on the news, and she thought it was quite neat
that they had an Easter egg hunt for the blind children.

Brad said that their youngest daughter Emma moved to Colorado to be near her
sister Kyra, but she doesn't really like living there. She thinks maybe she
will move back to Lincoln some time next year, which he said will be good
because he misses her.

Warren brought up a 1984 memory he had touring the school in Nebraska City.
Someone was walking with their hands in front of them, tapping their feet
really hard. Cane travel was not being taught. He also mentioned a recent
experience he had while attending a meeting. Someone grabbed him to help him
to a seat, even though he explained that he didn't need any help.

Barbara said that her son John gave them a sculpture he had made mostly out
of railroad spikes and trestles. It's a blind person running, and the
person's cane is a push rod from a truck that they got for him years ago.

Linda moved, Barbara seconded, that the meeting be adjourned. We adjourned
at 8:35 PM.

Respectfully submitted,

Linda Mentink, Secretary

Respectfu