[Nfb-seniors] For Apple Users - September 2017 edition of AppleVis Unlimited, our monthly newsletter

Robert Leslie Newman robertleslienewman at gmail.com
Mon Oct 2 13:22:35 UTC 2017

This newsletter is always fun to read; at times, you can find something very
useful!

Welcome to the September 2017 edition of AppleVis Unlimited, our monthly
newsletter which aims to highlight what's new and noteworthy on the AppleVis
website. Below, you'll find a selection of the best content posted to
AppleVis - from new app entries, to app updates, to the latest news and
podcasts. For easier navigation, the major sections of this post are at
heading level 3, and each individual item is at heading level 4.

New and Noteworthy App Entries

Academy of Disaster (iOS, Free With In-App Purchases)

Take the role of an amnesiac student and probe the mysteries of an isolated
private school—one favored by the local crime families at that! Will you
solve the murders of your classmates and make good on your family debts?

"Academy of Disaster" is an interactive novel by Maxine Janerka where your
choices control the story. It's entirely text-based--200,000 words, without
graphics or sound-effects--and fueled by the vast, unstoppable power of your
imagination.

Current Version: 1.0.0 (September 2, 2016)

Read Academy of Disaster's AppleVis iOS App Directory entry for more
information <https://www.applevis.com/apps/ios/games/academy-disaster>
Visit Academy of Disaster's App Store page
<https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/academy-of-disaster/id1124589089?mt=8&at=11
l4LS>

Blindfold Games (iOS, Free With In-App Purchases)

The following new titles have been released this month in the ‘Blindfold’
series of games:

Blindfold Bop <https://www.applevis.com/apps/ios/games/blindfold-bop>
Blindfold Sea Battle
<https://www.applevis.com/apps/ios/games/blindfold-sea-battle>

CAL Download (iOS, Free to Download, But Requires Membership For Full
Access)

Calibre Audio Library is a national (UK) charity supporting people who
cannot read print because of sight loss, dyslexia or other disabilities. We
deliver the pleasure of reading through our extensive library of unabridged
audio books.

Our award-winning app, custom designed for this audience provides our
members with a means of accessing our books independently and on demand on
mobile devices using gesture controls and audio prompts.

The app is free to use for Calibre members. People who cannot read print can
join Calibre Audio Library for a single fee of £35 for adults/ £20 for Under
16s which covers a lifetime membership. With no annual subscriptions, no
charges per book and unlimited borrowing this service is vastly cheaper than
commercially sourced audio books.

Current Version: 3.0.11 (August 30, 2017)

Read CAL Download's AppleVis iOS App Directory entry for more information
<https://www.applevis.com/apps/ios/books/cal-download>
Visit CAL Download's App Store page
<https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/cal-download/id1253439363?mt=8&at=11l4LS>

Elementary minute (iOS, US$0.99)

Elementary Minute is an fast paced trivia game, where you are presented with
statements from topics like Math, Geography or Science. Quickly swipe up or
down to decide if the statement are true or false.

Features:

*	4 Topics
*	2 Modes (Classic & Rush)
*	Apple Watch Version
*	Completely playable for blind people via VoiceOver
*	Highscores via Game Center
*	Review your answers and learn from them!

Current Version: 1.5.3 (September 19, 2017)

Read Elementary minute's AppleVis iOS App Directory entry for more
information <https://www.applevis.com/apps/ios/games/elementary-minute>
Visit Elementary minute's App Store page
<https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/elementary-minute/id889417668?mt=8&at=11l4L

Habitica: Gamified Taskmanager (iOS, Free With In-App Purchases)

Treat your life like a game to stay motivated and organized! Habitica makes
it simple to have fun while accomplishing goals.

Input your Habits, your Daily goals, and your To-Do list, and then create a
custom avatar. Check off tasks to level up your avatar and unlock features
such as armor, pets, skills, and even quests! Fight monsters with friends to
keep each other accountable, and use your gold on in-game rewards, like
equipment, or custom rewards, like watching an episode of your favorite TV
show. Flexible, social, and fun, Habitica is the perfect way to motivate
yourself to accomplish anything.

Current Version: 1.11 (September 28, 2017)

Read Habitica's AppleVis iOS App Directory entry for more information
<https://www.applevis.com/apps/ios/productivity/habitica-gamified-taskmanage
r>
Visit Habitica's App Store page
<https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/habitica-gamified-task-manager/id994882113?
mt=8&at=11l4LS>

Traveler’s Quest (iOS, Free With In-App Purchases)

With over 35,000 players addicted to Traveler's Quest with over 650 unique,
and over 3 million total treasures to find world wide, what are you waiting
for?

Traveler's Quest is an original GPS Game, and a must-have iPhone classic.
It's the incredibly simple, yet insanely addictive virtual treasure hunt
where the world is your game board, and your iPhone's GPS is the key! Travel
around town, or around the world playing this new and innovative combination
of a real world treasure hunt, with virtual treasures right on your iPhone!

» Here Ye, Here Ye! Treasure hunters detect and track down virtual treasure
in the real world to complete your virtual collections. The treasure maps
you receive are not just part of the game, they belong to other real world
players! That's right, when you bury your treasures, they can be dug up by
other players in the game who can then choose to rebury them or hold on to
them in their treasure room! Don't worry though, you can pilfer their
treasure stash as well!

Current Version: 7.3 (March 4, 2017)

Read Traveler <https://www.applevis.com/apps/ios/games/traveler-s-quest> ’s
Quest's AppleVis iOS App Directory entry for more information
Visit Traveler
<https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/travelers-quest/id337209160?mt=8&at=11l4LS>
’s Quest's App Store page

youtube tv (iOS, Free to Download But Requires Subscription()

Available in select US locations. For full availability, please see
tv.youtube.com/tv/availability.

*	Stream from major broadcast and cable channels, including ABC, CBS,
FOX, NBC, ESPN, your local sports channels & more.
*	Take your TV with you. Watch recorded and on-demand TV, anywhere you
go in the U.S.
*	Cloud DVR without DVR storage space limits. Each recording will be
stored for 9 months.
*	Comes with up to 6 YouTube TV accounts per household.
*	Stream on all your screens: phone, tablet, computer, laptop and TV
with Google Chromecast or Apple AirPlay.

$39.99 / month. No commitment, cancel anytime.

Current Version: 1.08.9 (September 20, 2017)

Read youtube tv's AppleVis iOS App Directory entry for more information
<https://www.applevis.com/apps/ios/entertainment/youtube-tv>
Visit youtube tv's App Store page
<https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/youtube-tv/id1193350206?mt=8&at=11l4LS>

All recent app entries posted to AppleVis can be found at:

iOS <http://www.applevis.com/apps/latest?type=ios_app_directory>
Mac <http://www.applevis.com/apps/latest?type=mac_app_directory>
Apple Watch
<http://www.applevis.com/apps/latest?type=apple_watch_app_directory>
Apple TV <http://www.applevis.com/apps/latest?type=apple_tv_app_directory>

Notable App Updates

Blackbox :: infamous puzzles (iOS, Free With In-App Purchases)

Explore 73 unique puzzles (MORE COMING) without touch
 Tilt, shout, click,
snap, wait, reflect, and hike your way to success; expand your creative
thinking; ponder colorful visual clues; discover secrets along the way

With ample satisfying "ah hah!" moments and puzzles as artful and clever as
they are challenging, Blackbox is as delightful to play as it is to look at
and hold.

Frustrating, fun, and full of surprises
 There’s more to Blackbox than meets
the eye. Can you find all the meta challenges?

Every challenge has been tuned to be on the cusp of maddening but always
solvable. Some challenges take time, perseverance, and perspective to
understand, but if you’re really stumped rest assured there are hints. To
enjoy the game to it’s fullest, only use them as a last resort!

Current Version: 1.4.1 (September 25, 2017)

Changes in Versions 1.4.0-1.4.1

*	New Challenge: It's beautiful, it's mysterious, it's ready to solve
(A secret feature that will unlock when the new challenge is completed
)
*	New Hint System: You've asked and it's finally here. Not only are
hints cheaper they now come in varieties ranging from "less helpful" hints
to "more helpful" ones for when you just need a vague nudge or are truly
stumped. Can't wait to hear what you think.
*	Dynamic Type (iOS 11): Blackbox now supports the smallest to the
very largest accessibility text sizes with grace and in real time.
*	Smart Invert Colors (iOS 11): Blackbox (already being very dark) now
intelligently inverts its colors only where need be.
*	Bug fix for crash affecting 32-bit devices (iPhone 5, 5c, etc)
*	visual fix for a certain two-light challenge on iOS 10
*	New custom accessibility rotors for faster home grid navigation
*	Typo fix (triply checked this time)

Read Blackbox :: infamous puzzles' AppleVis iOS App Directory entry for more
information
<https://www.applevis.com/apps/ios/games/blackbox-infamous-puzzles>
Visit Blackbox :: infamous puzzles' App Store page
<https://itunes.apple.com/app/blackbox-think-outside-the-box/id962969578?mt=
8&at=11l4LS>

CARROT Weather (iOS, US$3.99 With In-App Purchases)

CARROT Weather is a crazy-powerful weather app that delivers hilariously
twisted forecasts.

>From spooky fog to torrential downpours, CARROT’s dialogue, characters, and
scenery change in
 “unexpected” ways. You’ll actually be looking forward to
a blizzard just to see what CARROT has in store for you!

Dark Sky’s super accurate weather data gives you quick access to your
current, hourly, and daily forecasts. Or just tap anywhere for more
meteorological goodness. (Available worldwide.)

If the rain gods are mad at you, CARROT will show you a short-term forecast
that tells you right down to the minute when it’s going to start
precipitating. (Available only in the US, UK, Ireland, and parts of Canada.
Everything else works worldwide.)

Current Version: 4.1.2 (September 18, 2017)

Changes in September

Weather Time Travel Want to know how cold it will be for your big ski
vacation in January? Or if it was ominously cloudy on the day you were born?
Use my time machine to view historical weather data for any location, up to
70 years in the past and 10 years in the future. DeLorean not included!

New Customization Options Enable Dark Mode so you don't get blinded by my
radiance at nighttime. Toggle your device's Status Bar on and off. Or turn
on Reduce Motion if you have a pathetically weak stomach.

New Content Not only does this update pack in 3 new secret locations, you
also get hundreds of lines of new dialogue! (And if you thought my Overkill
personality was a little too soft before, you are in for a rude awakening.)

Accessibility VoiceOver users now get lightning-quick readouts of the
current forecast and easy access to even the most obscure data points I have
to offer. Plus, it’s now possible to quickly jump between sections using
accessibility headings.

But wait, there's more!

*	Significant performance improvements for the Apple Watch
complication and app.
*	Dynamic Type support for the Today widget.
*	Reduced loading times of iPhone/iPad weather data refreshes.
*	Beaufort wind force scale option for wind speed units.
*	The moon in the night sky now matches the current moon phase.
*	Tapping the current forecast section now shows additional details.
*	Support for 12.9- and 10.5-inch iPads.

Read CARROT Weather's AppleVis iOS App Directory entry for more information
<https://www.applevis.com/apps/ios/weather/carrot-weather>
Visit CARROT Weather's App Store page
<https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/carrot-weather/id961390574?mt=8&at=11l4LS>

Dolphin EasyReader (iOS, Free With In-App Purchases)

EasyReader is a FREE accessible reading app for readers with dyslexia, low
vision or blindness. Browse & download from the World's largest collection
of talking book and newspaper libraries. Or copy text from anywhere on your
phone & hear EasyReader read it back to you. Experience perfectly
synchronized text & audio. Or for text only titles, EasyReader can add a
human sounding voice of your choice. Boost comfort or contrast - choose
colours, text size and highlights to suit your visual needs.

Make your books' text as big as your eyes require. Unlike other mainstream
reading apps, there's no restriction with EasyReader. Zoom in with a
standard 2 finger pinch or make fine adjustments with the simple sliders.
There's never any blurry text or fuzzy fonts - your books' words are always
crystal clear and always easy on the eye.

EasyReader is fully optimized for use with iOS VoiceOver and iOS supported
Braille displays.

Current Version: 1.3 (September 15, 2017)

Changes in Version 1.3

*	Addition of two new libraries – LKF (Russia) and ATZ newspapers
(German).
*	Russian translation.
*	Turkish translation - thank you to Ömer Yesiltas for providing this.
*	Updated Italian Translation.
*	Improved experience for remote control of the reading experience
(e.g. headset, Bluetooth, locked screen).
*	VoiceOver improvements in the reader – audio ducking brings
VoiceOver commands to the fore and quietens the book audio.
*	Fixed CELA download crash – previously some content would crash when
downloading.
*	Fixed CELA reading order issues where it would jump to the next
chapter when encountering a page number.
*	Fixed an issue where CELA users had to add a “CELA_” prefix for
logging in. They now only need to use their account number and password.
*	Fixed receiving 2 bookmarks on iPad devices.
*	Anderslezen library download issue fixed – books which contained ‘
’
in the title would not download.
*	Fix for crash when logging into a newspaper that had no content on
the user account.

Read Dolphin EasyReader's AppleVis iOS App Directory entry for more
information <https://www.applevis.com/apps/ios/books/dolphin-easyreader>
Visit Dolphin EasyReader's App Store page
<https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/dolphin-easyreader/id1161662515?mt=8&at=11l
4LS>

just press record (iOS and watchOS, US$4.99)

Just Press Record is the ultimate mobile audio recorder bringing one tap
recording, transcription and iCloud syncing to all your devices.

Life is full of moments we would rather not forget - like your child’s first
words, an important meeting or spontaneous idea. Capture these moments
effortlessly on iPhone, iPad or for ultimate convenience, Apple Watch.

Current Version: 3.0 (September 19, 2017)

Changes in Version 3.0

We’re delighted to announce this massive update for iOS 11 and watchOS 4
featuring a redesigned user interface, improved navigation and a beautiful
new app for Apple Watch. Highlights include:

iOS

*	A whole new look for iOS 11.
*	Quicker access to your recordings and transcriptions.
*	A new Tab Bar makes it easier to navigate and find recordings.
*	Dedicated tab for recordings made on Apple Watch.
*	Pause and resume recording.
*	Seek backwards and forwards during playback.
*	Adjustable playback speed.
*	Share audio and text with one action.

watchOS

*	A beautiful new look for watchOS 4.
*	Record discretely in the background.
*	Adjust volume with the Digital Crown.
*	Pause recording with a downward swipe.
*	Improved accessibility support with VoiceOver, reduced motion and
support for the extra large Complication template.

Read just press record's AppleVis iOS App Directory entry for more
information
<https://www.applevis.com/apps/apple-watch/utilities/just-press-record>
Visit just press record's App Store page
<https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/just-press-record/id1033342465?mt=8&at=11l4

threema (iOS, US$2.99)

Threema is the world’s favorite secure messenger and keeps your data out of
the hands of hackers, corporations and governments. Threema can be used
completely anonymously, allows to make end-to-end encrypted voice calls, and
offers every feature one would expect from a state-of-the-art instant
messenger.

Threema is designed to generate as little data on servers as possible – this
is a core part of our concept. Group memberships and contact lists are
managed on your device only, and never stored on our servers. Messages are
immediately deleted after they have been delivered. Local files are stored
encrypted on your mobile phone or tablet. All this effectively prevents the
collection and misuse of your personal information, including meta data.

Threema encrypts ALL your communications END-TO-END including messages,
voice calls, group chats, media files and even status messages. You can rest
assured that only the intended recipient can read your chats, and nobody
else – not even us. Threema uses the trusted open source NaCl cryptography
library for encryption. The encryption keys are generated and safely stored
on user’s devices to prevent backdoor access or copies.

Current Version: 3.0.1 (September 25, 2017)

Changes in Versions 3.0-3.0.1

*	Voice calls (requires iPhone 5s / iOS 9 or above)
*	Fixed a bug that occurred when displaying image previews in the
gallery
*	VoiceOver improvements
*	Contacts who use Threema Work are labeled with a briefcase icon
*	In the chat overview, received messages are labeled with an arrow
icon
*	Even if the recipient has disabled the preview of push
notifications, the “message delivered” symbol is displayed once the message
was delivered
*	Fixed a bug that could reset the nickname and/or profile picture in
certain cases
*	Removed audio filter that caused low volume of voice recordings
*	Fixed a bug that could, in some rare cases, reset the Sync Contacts
setting
*	On the lock screen, tap and hold the Threema icon to invoke the
alphanumeric keyboard
*	General improvements and miscellaneous bug fixes

Read threema's AppleVis iOS App Directory entry for more information
<https://www.applevis.com/apps/ios/social-networking/threema>
Visit threema's App Store page
<https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/threema/id578665578?mt=8&at=11l4LS>

Twitter (iOS, Free)

>From breaking news and entertainment to sports, politics, and everyday
interests, when it happens in the world, it happens on Twitter first. See
all sides of the story. Join the conversation. Watch live streaming events.
Twitter is what’s happening in the world and what people are talking about
right now.

Current Version: 7.8 (September 26, 2017)

Changes in September

There were a number of updates during September. In most cases the fixes and
improvements were not detailed in the release notes. However, one
enhancement of note for low vision users, is that this app now supports the
Smart Invert feature introduced in iOS 11, which means that media in your
timeline will not be inverted when Smart Invert is enabled.

Read Twitter's AppleVis iOS App Directory entry for more information
<https://www.applevis.com/apps/ios/news/twitter>
Visit Twitter's App Store page
<https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/twitter/id333903271?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo=4&at=11
l4LS>

Vorail (iOS, Free)

You're not alone. All voice social networking.

On Vorail, cannot judge a book by its cover because we ripped away the cover
(zero photos, zero videos). When there is nothing to look at, we really
listen.

Current Version: 1.8.4 (September 15, 2017)

Changes in Version 1.8.4

updated VoiceOver rotor actions to work under iOS 11

Read Vorail's AppleVis iOS App Directory entry for more information
<https://www.applevis.com/apps/ios/social-networking/vorail>
Visit Vorail's App Store page
<https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/vorail/id1050527832?ign-mpt=uo=8&at=11l4LS>

Recent News and Views

Software Updates and News

The New, Good, and Bad for VoiceOver users in macOS 10.13 High Sierra
<https://www.applevis.com/blog/apple-macos-news/new-good-and-bad-voiceover-u
sers-macos-1013-high-sierra>
The Accessibility Bugs in iOS 11 for Blind and Low Vision Users; From
Serious To Minor
<https://www.applevis.com/blog/apple-braille-ios-news/accessibility-bugs-ios
-11-blind-and-low-vision-users-serious-minor>
What's New in iOS 11 Accessibility for Blind, Low Vision and Deaf-Blind
Users
<https://www.applevis.com/blog/apple-assistive-technology-braille-ios-news/w
hats-new-ios-11-accessibility-blind-low-vision-and>
Apple Releases iOS 11; Bringing a Range of Enhancements and New Features
<https://www.applevis.com/blog/apple-ios-news/apple-releases-ios-11-bringing
-range-enhancements-and-new-features>
Apple Releases iOS 11.0.1 Update; With Bug Fixes
<https://www.applevis.com/blog/apple-ios-news/apple-releases-ios-1101-update
-bug-fixes>
Apple Releases tvOS 11; Bringing New Features and Enhancements for Blind
Users of the Fourth-Generation Apple TV
<https://www.applevis.com/blog/apple-apple-tv-braille-news/apple-releases-tv
os-11-bringing-new-features-and-enhancements-blind>
Apple Releases watchOS 4; Bringing a Range of Enhancements and New Features
to the Apple Watch
<https://www.applevis.com/blog/apple-apple-watch-news/apple-releases-watchos
-4-bringing-range-enhancements-and-new-features>
Picture This, or Maybe Not: a Review of the New Image Description Feature in
iOS 11
<https://www.applevis.com/blog/apple-assistive-technology-ios-news-opinion/p
icture-or-maybe-not-review-new-image-description>
iOS 11; is it Worth Upgrading
<https://www.applevis.com/blog/braille-ios-news-opinion/ios-11-it-worth-upgr
ading>
Apple Releases iTunes 12.7; Bringing a Revamp that Drops the App Store and
Ringtones
<https://www.applevis.com/blog/apple-itunes-news/apple-releases-itunes-127-b
ringing-revamp-drops-app-store-and-ringtones>

Ripping Vinyl to iTunes Using Audacity

By Paul Martz | September 25, 2017

My collection of about 200 late-‘70s and early-‘80s punk, rock, and pop
albums is near and dear to my heart, but I couldn’t justify their shelf
space when I know they could all fit on my phone. The only thing holding me
back from ripping my collection was the overwhelming nature of recording,
labeling, and cleaning up well over 100 hours of audio. While I
procrastinated, I looked at turntables, read articles, and talked to
musician friends about digital recording. Many of them recommended Audacity.

Audacity is a free and open source software application for recording and
editing sounds. It runs cross platform on Apple, Windows, and Linux.
Audacity is well-documented at the Audacity wiki, where you can find many
helpful tutorials, including tips on how to remove scratches and pops.

Read More:
<https://www.applevis.com/blog/itunes-macos/ripping-vinyl-itunes-using-audac
ity> “Ripping Vinyl to iTunes Using Audacity”

Does Your iPhone Speak Your Language? Tribulations of Owning An iOS Device
Without Persian support, And What Apple Can Do About It

By Amir | September 25, 2017

It used to happen each and every September, but now everything comes to
light a couple of months earlier as the very first beta release of a major
iOS update is made available to developers and public testers. Each year I
install the first iOS beta release with gusto, take a gander at its TTS
options in hopes of locating the slightest hint or tip about Persian (Farsi)
support, and then reconcile myself to the fact that maybe my iDevice will be
capable of reading Persian characters and words next time around. Life
without hope is mindless, after all.

The stats are stunning. According to many sources -- including this Persian
website
<http://itabnak.ir/fa/news/11026/???-??-????-??-?????-?????-?????-???-????>
, more than fifteen percent of Iranian smartphone users own an iPhone.
Iranians own more than forty million smartphones, and more than seven
million of them are iPhones despite the fact that Apple, unlike companies
such as Samsung and LG, has no official stores or dealers here. However, if
you're a visually impaired individual who speaks Persian, purchasing an
iPhone would be akin to committing suicide. As such, it's a truth nationally
acknowledged that iOS provides no choice for reading Persian stuff, so why
bother with it?

Suffice it to say that we -- Iranians -- have no official, user-managed
websites dedicated to accessible iOS apps. I just know three or four blind
Iranians who own an iPhone, and almost all of them use it as their secondary
device.

Read More:
<https://www.applevis.com/blog/advocacy-apple-ios/does-your-iphone-speak-you
r-language-tribulations-owning-idevice-without> “Does Your iPhone Speak Your
Language? Tribulations of Owning An iOS Device Without Persian support, And
What Apple Can Do About It”

32-Bit Apps Are the Bane of iOS 11 Lovers, And I'm Not An Exception

By Amir | September 16, 2017

There's nothing more exciting than getting a major iOS release, and older
posts on AppleVis can easily substantiate my claim. Just take a brief look
at this 2016
<https://www.applevis.com/blog/apple-braille-ios-news/what-s-new-ios-10-acce
ssibility-blind-low-vision-and-deaf-blind-users>  and this 2015
<https://www.applevis.com/blog/apple-assistive-technology-braille-ios-news-o
pinion/what-s-new-and-changed-ios-9-accessibility>  post to see what I mean.
As such, this year's release of iOS 11 on September 19
<https://techcrunch.com/2017/09/12/ios-11-release-date>  should be a
pleasantly busy day for all of us at AppleVis with lots of blog posts,
podcasts and comments to digest.

However, things aren't as rosy as you might think -- at least for some
users. While Apple announced few days ago that 32-Bit Apps Represented Less
Than 1% of Apple's App Store Revenue Last Quarter
<https://www.macrumors.com/2017/09/11/32-bit-apps-less-than-1/> , you'll be
literally stuck if you have one of those apps which you can't dispense with.
That is, if developers refuse to update their 32-Bit apps to 64-Bit ones or
if they promise to do so but fail to deliver the updates before September
19, once you update to iOS 11 32-Bit apps won't launch
<http://9to5mac.com/2017/06/06/ios-11-32-bit-mac-app-store-64-bit> . And the
situation is more complicated if the developer of one or more of those apps
is out of business!

So let me get to the gist of the matter. It's with great sadness that I have
to announce that I do have some 32-Bit apps on my iPhone 7 Plus. My mobile
banking app is a 32-Bit one and I depend on it as it helps me avoid those
daily plaguy trips to find Automated teller machines which aren't accessible
at all on this side of the pond. The developer has promised to take care of
the issue. But as of this writing (Saturday morning Tehran time) that hasn't
materialized.

Read More:
<https://www.applevis.com/blog/ios-ios-apps/32-bit-apps-are-bane-ios-11-love
rs-and-im-not-exception> "32-Bit Apps Are the Bane of iOS 11 Lovers, And I'm
Not An Exception"

Goodbye to the Home Button, Hello to Face ID; What Might This Mean for Blind
and Low Vision iPhone Users?

By Serina Gilbert | September 13, 2017

With the announcement of Apple’s brand new iPhone X the blind and vision
impaired community has been buzzing about one of the biggest changes to the
iPhone, the removal of the Home button and the addition of Face ID. We have
grown very comfortable with our familiar Home button. After all, it’s been a
very consistent part of our smart phone that we use probably dozens of times
a day to perform a variety of tasks since the iPhone 3GS. Change is scary
and sometimes, especially when it comes to technology it can be far too easy
to assume that we will be left out.

I totally get it. There are tons of “What if” situations. What if I keep my
eyes closed too much? What if I have prosthetic eyes? What if I grow facial
hair or change my hair color? These would all be reasonable questions if we
were looking at any other company than Apple, but we are working with the
most inclusive company there is. This is the company that made the very
first out of the box accessible smart phone when it wasn’t popular or cost
effective. This is the company that took the time to make videos featuring
individuals with disabilities using their technology to live, work and play.
This is a company that has an entire dedicated team committed to
accessibility in every single device that they produce.

Apple takes care to include individuals with disabilities in everything that
they do and Face ID will not be an exception. It is expected that Face ID
will have dedicated settings that can be customized for accessibility
settings including for use with VoiceOver. Given that this will be a brand
new feature, however, I would expect that it won’t work perfectly every time
for sighted and visually impaired individuals alike. When that happens, you
will always be able to use a passcode to still be able to gain access to
your phone.

Read More:
<https://www.applevis.com/blog/apple-iphone-news-opinion/goodbye-home-button
-hello-face-id-what-might-mean-blind-and-low> "Goodbye to the Home Button,
Hello to Face ID; What Might This Mean for Blind and Low Vision iPhone
Users?"

All the XCiting News from Apple's September 12 Event

By Alex Hall | September 12, 2017

Apple held its annual fall media event today, announcing new iPhones, Apple
Watches, and Apple TV. As usual, we’re here to recap what was shown off, so
you know just how close to all your money Apple will be getting this year.

Before that, though, there’s some nostalgia to this event you may find
interesting. This year mark’s the tenth anniversary of the iPhone, as well
as the first year the company’s newly constructed campus, Apple Park, was
ready to be used. It was therefore fitting that today’s big event took place
in the brand newSteve Jobs Theater on Apple Park. Jobs was the driving force
behind the original iPhone, after all, so there was a lot of poignancy
today.

But back to all the cool new stuff! We got the hotly anticipated iPhone
refresh, a new Apple Watch, a new Apple TV, and final dates on the release
of Apple’s software upgrades. Read about everything here, or watch the event
for yourself (link coming once Apple makes it available). I hate rambling
intros as much as you do, when all I want are the juicy details, so let’s
kick things off with the thing most everyone will want to know about:
iPhone.

Read More:
<https://www.applevis.com/blog/apple-apple-tv-apple-watch-ios-iphone-macos-n
ews/all-xciting-news-apples-september-12-event> "All the XCiting News from
Apple's September 12 Event"

Announcing Tdsr: A Command Line Screen Reader For Macintosh And GNU/Linux

By Chris Hofstader | September 8, 2017

Earlier this year, the Lighthouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired of San
Francisco (known as San Francisco Lighthouse to people who speak standard
English) agreed that the support for the Macintosh Terminal app using
VoiceOver was an inadequate solution for all but the most minimal of its
possible use cases. To remedy this issue, they funded the development of a
new little screen reader called tdsr.

Tyler Spivey, author of tdsr, had attempted to port the really old UNIX
command line screen reader yasr to Macintosh but as yasr is a rat’s nest of
old C code, it proved easier to scrap it and write a new command line screen
reader from scratch in Python.

While it’s been rumored that tdsr stands for “Tyler’s Damned Screen Reader,”
it does not. In fact, tdsr stands for “Two Day Screen Reader” as Tyler got
its first functioning prototype up and running in only two days. A lot more
work has gone into tdsr since and users of the bash shell (the one used in
Macintosh Terminal but not supported well with VoiceOver) will recognize all
of the keystrokes as will users of GNU emacs or emacspeak. I personally use
tdsr to maintain my server and when I’m messing around with the little bit
of Python programming I try to do.

The importance of tdsr is that a command line is still essential for blind
people who write software, study computer science and/or maintain servers
and do IT stuff. For years, NVDA on Windows has been the only screen reader
to provide truly useful support for a command line (JAWS used to do it well
but it’s deteriorated over the years). Thus, most blind programmers,
hackers, IT professionals and CS students have had to use Windows or
GNU/Linux for their work. With the advent of tdsr, a student assigned a
Macintosh can now enjoy the same functionality as their peers using Windows.

Read More:
<https://www.applevis.com/blog/assistive-technology-macos-news/announcing-td
sr-command-line-screen-reader-macintosh-and> "Announcing Tdsr: A Command
Line Screen Reader For Macintosh And GNU/Linux"

Power Trip: Hurricane Harvey and My iPhone

By Morgan | September 7, 2017

Personal note: When I first began to write this blog, I was in the middle of
experiencing Hurricane Harvey firsthand. As I tend to approach any adversity
with a light-hearted touch, my story below reflects that attitude about my
own circumstances. Still, I am sadly aware of the toll on lives that Harvey
caused in Texas and of the on-going impact from other storms now ripping
across many islands and moving towards the mainland. My heart goes out to
all those who have been affected.

And now, my story...

I was five years old. I walked into the bathroom and stepped to the sink. I
twisted the cold water knob and the unexpected happened. The entire spigot
separated from the pipes and water began to gush out. I frantically tried to
push the plumbing back into place. The room began to flood and the water
rose quickly. As my knees submerged, I panicked. As I desperately sloshed
out of my parent's home, a surge of water chased me into the front yard. I
scrambled into my 1950s child-sized toy car and began to pedal as fast as I
could. I heard a wave crashing behind me and I knew I was in deep trouble.
Then, I woke up. That nightmare haunted me many, many times over the years.
Now, it feels a little prescient.

Last month, my wife DD and I decided to travel to Houston to spend a few
days with my mother. We thought it would be fun to share the partial solar
eclipse that would move across Texas on August 21. That day was hot and
beautiful. We created a simple camera obscura, a cardboard box with a tiny
hole on one side, to safely watch the moon traverse the sun. DD recorded the
magnificent event with her iPhone. We enjoyed our pleasant little vacation.

I decided to stay a few extra days at my Mom's house, so my wife drove the
200 mile trek back to Austin for a quick turnaround trip. The weather was
gorgeous and the roads were clear to our home. She would pick up the mail,
water our parched lawn, and do her cherished volunteering with miniature
horses. At the time, our slightly modified itinerary seemed like a great
idea.

Shortly after DD arrived back in Austin, my mother and I began to hear about
this pesky tropical depression in the Gulf of Mexico. It was moving our way,
but did not seem to present any threat. And, with a moniker like Harvey, it
sounded friendly and innocuous. Surprisingly, Harvey began to rapidly morph
into a real monster. There was no safe way for DD to rejoin us, so my mother
and I decided to just hunker down in Houston and ride out any impact that
might spin our way. We had done it before, and we could do it again.

Read More:
<https://www.applevis.com/blog/accessories-assistive-technology-iphone-opini
on/power-trip-hurricane-harvey-and-my-iphone> "Power Trip: Hurricane Harvey
and My iPhone"

Yo, Human! A SIRI-Us Relationship: Accessing Life with Adaptive Technology

By Nicholas | September 6, 2017

There is something about SIRI, I don't know what it is, but we seem to share
a relationship now. Actually we share many relationships. SIRI even knows
about all my other relationships. In fact, she helped me in their creation.

Me, right after startup: SIRI?

SIRI, a bit sluggish at first: Yes Nicholas?

Me: What time is it?

SIRI: It's 5:30 AM. You woke me up.

Me: Well get up, it's time to get busy.

SIRI: What?

Me: Open 'your' settings.

SIRI: (Yawn.) Okay.

VO says: System Preferences, Siri window, toolbar.

Read More:
<https://www.applevis.com/blog/assistive-technology-macos-opinion/yo-human-s
iri-us-relationship-accessing-life-adaptive> "Yo, Human! A SIRI-Us
Relationship: Accessing Life with Adaptive Technology"

This Month in Podcasts

AppleVis Extra 52: iOS 11 in Review

In this podcast, Scott Davert <http://www.twitter.com/ScottDavert>  and
Thomas Domville <http://www.twitter.com/Thomas_Domville>  discuss their
opinions of Apple's iOS 11
<https://www.applevis.com/blog/apple-ios-news/apple-releases-ios-11-bringing
-range-enhancements-and-new-features>  software update. They also briefly
discuss tvOS 11
<https://www.applevis.com/blog/apple-apple-tv-braille-news/apple-releases-tv
os-11-bringing-new-features-and-enhancements-blind>  and watchOS 4
<https://www.applevis.com/blog/apple-apple-watch-news/apple-releases-watchos
-4-bringing-range-enhancements-and-new-features> .

Listen to
<https://www.applevis.com/sites/default/files/podcasts/AppleVisPodcast1087.m
p3> “AppleVis Extra 52: iOS 11 in Review”

iOS 11 Introductory Podcasts

A short series of podcasts by Thomas Domville in which he explores and
discusses some of the new features and changes in iOS 11:

Exploring Some of What's New and Changed in iOS 11; Part 1
<https://www.applevis.com/sites/default/files/podcasts/AppleVisPodcast1083.m
p3>
Exploring Some of What's New and Changed in iOS 11; Part 2
<https://www.applevis.com/sites/default/files/podcasts/AppleVisPodcast1084.m
p3>
Exploring Some of What's New and Changed in iOS 11; Part 3
<https://www.applevis.com/sites/default/files/podcasts/AppleVisPodcast1085.m
p3>
Exploring Some of What's New and Changed in iOS 11; Part 4
<https://www.applevis.com/sites/default/files/podcasts/AppleVisPodcast1086.m
p3>

AppleVis Extra #51: the XCiting Event Roundtable

In this edition of the AppleVis podcast, Thomas, Alex, Dave and Tyler recap
and discuss the main news from Tuesday's Apple event, where the company
announced new iPhones, Apple Watches and Apple TV.

Be sure to also read Alex's comprehensive summary of the news from this
event
<https://www.applevis.com/blog/apple-apple-tv-apple-watch-ios-iphone-macos-n
ews/all-xciting-news-apples-september-12-event> .

Listen to
<https://www.applevis.com/sites/default/files/podcasts/AppleVisPodcast1079.m
p3> "AppleVis Extra #51: the XCiting Event Roundtable"

Fun-Filled Babysitting Game with the Milky Baby

In this podcast, Abby introduces us to Milky Baby, an iOS costume fashion
dress up, nursery and babysitting game for people of all ages who love to
take care of little babies. Feed, take care, purchase different types of
costumes including clothes, shoes and hats"

App Store Link
<https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/milky-baby/id875064928?mt=8&at=11l4LS>

Listen to
<https://www.applevis.com/sites/default/files/podcasts/AppleVisPodcast1074.m
p3> "Fun-Filled Babysitting Game with the Milky Baby"

Other Podcasts in September by Abby

It's a kind of magic caring for a child with Little Girl Magic for iOS
<https://www.applevis.com/sites/default/files/podcasts/AppleVisPodcast1089.m
p3>
Enjoy a Virtual World of Scouting with Scout Legend for iOS
<https://www.applevis.com/sites/default/files/podcasts/AppleVisPodcast1082.m
p3>
There's something fishy going on with Mobile Aquarium
<https://www.applevis.com/sites/default/files/podcasts/AppleVisPodcast1081_0
.mp3>
Baby Adopter Sea for iOS: Take Care of Your Virtual Baby Whilst Cruising the
Seas
<https://www.applevis.com/sites/default/files/podcasts/AppleVisPodcast1077.m
p3>
Baby Adopter Holidays for iOS: Take Care of Your Virtual Baby Over the
Holiday Seasons
<https://www.applevis.com/sites/default/files/podcasts/AppleVisPodcast1076.m
p3>

Tap, Swipe and Shake to the Blindfold Bop

In this podcast, Joseph introduces us to Blindfold Bop
<https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/blindfold-bop/id1272873004?mt=8&at=11l4LS>
, an iOS game similar to the "Bop-It" Toy.

In this game You are told to perform 3 of the gestures in the following
list: tap with 1 finger, tap with 2 fingers, swipe in any direction, and
shake the phone. The game speeds up at each level, and in each level, you
must perform the requested gestures.You have two seconds to perform the
gesture, otherwise it's a mistake. The game is over when you've made 3
mistakes. You get one point for each correct gesture.

You can play the game at easy, medium, hard or very hard difficulty; the
game goes from performing any of 3 gestures to performing any of 10
gestures.

Listen to
<https://www.applevis.com/sites/default/files/podcasts/AppleVisPodcast1073.m
p3> "Tap, Swipe and Shake to the Blindfold Bop"

A complete list of all podcasts posted to the AppleVis website can be found
at www.applevis.com/podcasts <http://www.applevis.com/podcasts/>

Helping to Support AppleVis

AppleVis is managed by a small team of unpaid volunteers and receives no
external funding or sponsorship. So, if you enjoy and benefit from what we
do at AppleVis, please consider helping to make this possible by making a
single or regular micro donation at www.applevis.com/donate
<http://www.applevis.com/donate>  All donations are truly appreciated and
help to cover the financial costs of maintaining and developing AppleVis for
the community.

The AppleVis Editorial Team
www.applevis.com <http://www.applevis.com>

Newsletter: