[Nfb-seniors] NFBN Senior division February Meeting, - Final Reminder - Special Guest - and Visitors are Welcome

Robert Leslie Newman robertleslienewman at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 22:20:41 UTC 2019

Hi you all

RE: Our meeting for February is tonight! Monday the 11th

Non-members are welcome

Contents of this message:

*When and how to get on the call

*Agenda

*The NFB Pledge

* Secretary's and Treasurer's report are pasted in below

*#1 When and How to Get On the Call:

Date: February 11th

Time: 5:00 Pacific; 6:00 Mountain; 7:00 Central; 8:00 Eastern

Phone: 1-712-451-0011

Access Code: 345154Pound

*#2 Agenda:

-First- Come to order, introductions, say our NFB pledge; Chris will
present.

-Second- Presentation by guest speaker, Mark Bulger, Chair of the NCBVI
Board of Commissioners. And, Present of the American Counsel of the Blind of
Nebraska, and the Omaha Association of the Blind. We will discuss the major
changes going on within Nebraska's premier blindness rehabilitation services
program, the Nebraska Commission for the Blind and Visually Impaired. This
is the first time NCBVI has found it necessary to down-size, and go into
Order of Selection. Come and learn what we need to know, and how the blind
of Nebraska need to again work together during this transition in the level
of blindness services from where we have been so use to receiving, and now.
may not get as much as we once did.

Third- Secretary & Treasurers Reports Will be given

--OLD BUSINESS:

-Membership- do make calls to past members who have not joined us during
recent meetings. And/or think of someone new to call and invite to join us
for this or next month's meeting.

-Any other old business you may bring

--NEW BUSINESS:

-Discuss the new status for blindness services; order of selection, fewer
staff and offices, and more

-Anything you may bring

--Finally- Brags & Drags

*Our NFB Pledge:

I pledge to participate actively in the efforts of the National Federation
of the Blind to achieve equality, opportunity, and security for the blind;
to support the policies and programs of the Federation; and to abide by its
constitution.

**Treasurer's Report:

Treasurer's Report-Senior Division

February 11, 2019

Beginning Balance  January 14, 2019                $1397.44

Expenses

PAC plan for February                                            $   15.00

Total Expenses                                                        $
15.00

Deposits

None

Ending Balance February 11, 2019                     $1382.44

Respectfully submitted,

Cheryl Livingston, Treasurer

We received dues for the following people:

**Secretary's Minutes:

NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND OF NEBRASKA SENIOR DIVISION Meeting MINUTES

Monday, January 14, 2019

The NFBN Senior Division met by telephone conference on Monday, January 14,
2019. President Robert Newman called the meeting to order at 7:02 PM CST.
Members present were: President Robert Newman, Vice President Barbara Loos,
Secretary Linda Mentink, Treasurer Cheryl Livingston, Board Member Nancy
Oltman, Nancy Coffman, Gina Finnell, Michael Jones, Brad Loos, Steve
Senteney, and Jerry Whitlow. Guests present were: Roger Cicchese from
Massachusetts and Lauren Merryfield from Oregon.

Linda recited the NFB Pledge. (Note: Linda talked to Chris later. She forgot
about the meeting, and will recite it next month.)

Roger Cicchese was our guest speaker. He and a friend started the Legacy
Technology Project about eight years ago with two Braille N' Speaks. These
were snapped up within a day, and they realized that there was a great need.
There are three people working together to refurbish used, older blindness
technology, sometimes even if it's dead, which they sell for affordable
prices to those who have a need. They started to put the word out that they
were looking for items, and also found that people had things they were
willing to trade to get things they wanted. Many who have the greatest need
are those on fixed incomes. They have sent items all over the United States
and six other countries. If you have any old Braille or talking technology
that you want to get rid of, they will take it off your hands. If there's
something you're looking for, and you might have something of interest to
trade, they might be open to that. If there's something you're looking for,
either call 603-827-3859, or email them at 1nationundersound at gmail.com. If
they have it, they'll let you know; otherwise, they'll put your name on
lists for wanted items. All the items they offer are no longer manufactured,
repaired or supported by the company that originally made them. If you
purchase something from them, and in a couple months it no longer works,
they will repair it at no cost to you. If they can't repair it, they will
attempt to replace it. If they can't repair or replace it, they will refund
your money. Their prices generally include shipping and insurance. They do
not offer payment plans. They take money orders, credit cards and certified
checks. They do not do desktop computers or cell phones. If they can, they
will also repair something that we really like. He answered our questions.

Linda read the December, 2018, meeting minutes. Cheryl moved, Jerry
seconded, that we accept the minutes as read. The motion carried.

Cheryl read the Treasurer's report as follows:

Treasurer's Report-Senior Division

January 14, 2019

Beginning Balance December 10 $1352.44

Expenses

PAC plan for January $ 15.00

Total Expenses $ 15.00

Deposits

Dues $ 60.00

4 members listed in previous report

One member paid for 2 years, 2018 & 2019

We also got dues for the At -Large chapter which will be deposited into the
NFBN treasury

Total deposits $ 60.00

Ending Balance January 14, 2018 $1397.44

Respectfully submitted,

Cheryl Livingston, Treasurer

Gina moved, Nancy Oltman seconded, that we approve the Treasurer's Report.
The motion carried.

To help with our desire to go into retirement facilities, Robert has made a
couple calls, but has not heard back. He'd like to get an Activity Director
to join us on our call and tell us what they do, and talk about what some of
the best ways are to help them with blind residents. We have money to help
with transportation if needed.

Robert also mentioned the budgetary problems with the Nebraska Commission.
They will be asking the Legislature for funds specifically for working with
older blind Nebraskans. There will be a hearing in Lincoln sometime in
March.

Linda asked Robert if he had contacted members who had not yet renewed their
membership for 2019. He said yes, but hasn't heard back from anyone. We
talked about information wanted by our national office.

BRAGS AND DRAGS. Linda mentioned that Dorothy Babel's ex-husband just passed
away, which is why she isn't on the call.

Barbara mentioned that the most beautiful thing she got for Christmas was a
table that her daughter Emma made using a piece of wood that had been in her
parents' stuff. The table is made out of a cross section of a tree into
which she made burnings of some of John's birds and roses that he had drawn
for her when she was a little girl. For the first time Barbara is able to
touch some of his art.

Lauren just wanted to say hi to everybody.

Many moved we adjourn, and the meeting adjourned at 8:37 PM.

Respectfully submitted,

Linda Mentink, Secretary