[Nfb-seniors] it's happening!/I need help!

Lauren Merryfield lauren at catlines.com
Wed Feb 20 14:19:24 UTC 2019

Hi,

I am now in a situation of being primarily a wheelchair-user. I am using a
manual chair which came from the airlines a few years ago when they broke
the cheapo one I had.

I am trying to get Medicare to provide me with a new chair.

My Dr., and others, feel that a motorized chair would be safer and more
efficient for me.

However:

Some of those involved, including the guy who would be evaluating me is
wondering

"How does a totally blind person use a motorized wheelchair safely and
effectively?"

Sooooo, is there anyone out there who can tell me? I believe it can be done,
of course, but I do not have the skills as of yet.

My knees and hips are shot from osteoarthritis and I can only hobble to the
bathroom and back and it is excruciatingly painful-as in bone on bone.

I am on the blind rollers group and have posed this same question. However,
I have not yet received a reply.

I need someone who would be willing to actually talk to these people, to
advocate for and with me. Is there anyone out there with the experience
and/or expertise to do this?

Thanks,

Lauren Merryfield

Yea! the audiobook version of "Jesus makes the difference:a collection of
stories for young people" is now available on iTunes and at audible . com
(delete the spaces).

As my cats would say:"Meow when you feel like it!"