[NFB-Seniors] Another fine affiliate newsletter - The Blind Missourian

Robert Leslie Newman robertleslienewman at gmail.com
Wed Oct 2 11:58:28 UTC 2019

The Blind Missourian

                                       September 2019

Table of Contents

I Love Braille by Jenny Carmack
1

What Happened in Vegas: Reflections on My First National      Convention by
Daniel Garcia                                                           3

Fun on the River by Carol Coulter
5

Chris Griggs by Rita Lynch
8

Our Federation Friend, LaVern Toebben by Rita Lynch                 9

Our Last Visit with Bob by Rita Lynch
11

One Minute Message

blindness is not what holds you back.

Pledge of the

National Federation of the Blind

I pledge to participate actively in the efforts of the National Federation
of the Blind to achieve equality, opportunity, and security for the blind;
to support the policies and programs of the Federation; and to abide by its
Constitution.

I Love Braille

By Jenny Carmack

          “I love braille,” said Salome Cummins several times throughout the
two weeks of the 2019 Missouri Braille Enrichment for Literacy and Learning
(BELL) Academy.

Yes, the Missouri affiliate had our 6th successful BELL Academy. The staff
and bell ringers made some new memories and had a lot of fun working
together. As another bell ringer said, “I liked everything at BELL.”
(Russell Dorn)

          This year we brought back some of the familiar favorite
activities. The bell ringers enjoyed running on the Ninja Running Line in
which they were timed and tried to run faster and faster to beat their own
best times. We also got a good laugh out of writing silly stories by passing
a braille writer around and adding a sentence to the story without reading
what was already written. One of those stories consisted of someone turning
cart wheels in the frozen food section of the grocery store. The bell
ringers had the opportunity to become pirates for a while, using their
fingers to dig for hidden treasures. They sure did a great job digging up
bells, beads, and stones ARRRR! We eagerly worked on our slates each day and
became more proficient at loading the paper, using correct spacing, and
improving accuracy. Using the tennis balls and muffin tins was a fun way to
show off our knowledge of Braille signs and contractions. How quickly do you
think you could form every letter in the alphabet with the muffin tins and
balls?  Some of our bell ringers are quite fast!

          In addition to our familiar favorites, we also had some new
activities that just may make the favorites list in the future.  CRASH, was
the sound the Jenga blocks made when the tower fell over. We played Jenga
several times, and everyone used steady hands when removing a block and
placing it on the top of the tower, but we all exploded with laughter when
the tower would come toppling over. During a game of Braille Memory, we had
to put on our thinking caps to try and remember where we last saw a
particular card. “Where is that
” could be heard as each Memory game player
took their turn. Mr. Shamar, a volunteer from the community, came one day to
paint with us. We got to paint on different textures and create a painting
on plastic face molds. That was a fun, but messy activity. In another new
activity we worked on naming a variety of feelings and what makes us feel
that way. “I feel sad when I am not with my mom,” “I feel mad when I make a
mistake,” “I feel tired when I play a lot,” or “I feel hungry when it is
almost lunch time.” Those were some of the emotions discussed during this
activity, as well as some strategies for getting through some hard feelings
like anger or sadness. We learned that we can squeeze clay or rub a smooth
stone to work through negative feelings.

Of course, every year we celebrate Louis Braille, but this year’s
celebration was different in that it was a carnival. Just like at any other
carnival, we had a variety of games to choose from and we won prizes. There
was face painting, hula hooping, fishing, and diving for creatures in the
lagoon. (What was that creature?  Don’t worry, you can find out by turning
it over and reading its name which was written in braille!)  A field trip is
always an adventure at the BELL Academy, and this year was no exception. We
went to a new place called “We Rock the Spectrum.” The bell ringers jumped
on trampolines, swung on different types of swings, climbed the rope wall,
zoomed across the zip line, and more at this safe and fully inclusive
activity gym. Last, but not least, the BELL Academy would not be complete
without a parent presentation. However, there was a new twist on this year’s
presentation. We put on the play of “The Three Little Pigs.” All of the
staff and bell ringers worked hard all week to learn the play and everyone
really enjoyed it. In fact, the BELL staff has been given an assignment for
next year; we are to find or write a play that is about Louis Braille. (Good
Luck!)

          Obviously, every activity that we do throughout the two weeks
cannot be listed here or it would be a book. However, these were some of the
highlights from the BELL Academy. All of the activities include skill
building in one or more areas. Some of the skills we address in these
activities include tactile skills, spatial awareness, Braille, orientation
and mobility, relationship building, and others. We strive to plan
activities which will help our bell ringers to learn while they are having
fun. I would like to take this time to thank individual donors, members, and
chapters who made monetary or in-kind donations to the BELL Academy; these
donations provide the support we need to have a strong program for the bell
ringers. A big thanks also goes out to the volunteers who worked very hard
and gave up their time this summer to make the BELL Academy successful. It
takes a lot of dedication and diligence from those who volunteer to be
present each day of the two-week academy, but also to help in the planning
and preparation that takes place prior to the BELL Academy. I would also
like to thank the parents of the bell ringers for their dedication in
getting their child to BELL each morning. Most of the parents have to make
changes to their family’s daily routine to make sure their child can
participate each day. That is truly worth a huge thanks. Without parents,
volunteers, and donations we would have no BELL Academy, so thank you, one
more time!

What Happened in Vegas: Reflections on My First National Convention

By Daniel Garcia

The cliché about what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas ought not apply to the
national convention of the National Federation of the Blind. The energy,
enthusiasm, and love we felt should be shared with all Federationists across
the country. During the Rookie Roundup the First Lady of the Federation,
Melissa Riccobono, said that national conventions are like a shot in the arm
providing us with more fuel to continue the work of the National Federation
of the Blind. This first national convention did indeed have that effect on
me, and I want to briefly recount what happened in Vegas the week of July 6
to July 13, 2019.

When we arrived in Las Vegas on Saturday, July 6, my roommate Jeff Giffen
and I decided that we would walk around the hotel to get acquainted with
what would be our home for one week. On Sunday I attended various meetings
and seminars. Early in the morning I went to a JAWS users’ group where I
learned about some new features in JAWS. I then walked over to the Crafter’s
Marketplace sponsored by the NFB Crafters Division where I purchased
convention souvenirs hand-made by blind people. In the afternoon I took a
yoga for beginners class and then stayed for the One Touch Self Defense
Seminar; both of these events were sponsored by the national Sports &
Recreation Division. After a quick dinner I went to the Exhibitor’s Showcase
to get a preview of what the vendors would have available to demonstrate and
sell during the week at the Exhibit Hall. Last on the agenda for Sunday
night was the Rookie Roundup, where we got to meet many new first-time
convention attendees. Many federation leaders including President Riccobono
welcomed us to our first convention, shared their experiences of their first
time attending an NFB convention, and gave us a preview of what was to come
later in the week.

On Monday morning Jeff and I walked the exhibit hall, where we purchased
various items. In the afternoon, I attended the Resolutions Committee
meeting so that I would have a better understanding of the resolutions we
would be voting on later in the week. On Tuesday morning we witnessed the
presentation of various awards at the board meeting, and we learned that the
2020 convention would be in Houston, Texas, from June 30 to July 5.

Wednesday’s General Session featured the roll call of states and the annual
presidential report. In his report, President Riccobono said that though we
as blind people are making much progress, we still have much more work to do
to attain the freedom we desire. Later that evening I attended a meeting of
the Communications Committee. In this meeting various presenters covered
such topics as outreach to Spanish-speakers, communicating with the
deafblind, and ensuring that social media posts make generous use of
pictures which, of course, ought to be described for the benefit of people
who use screen readers. The democratic character of the National Federation
of the Blind was on display during the Thursday General Session. During the
morning session we had elections during which several board members were
reelected to the board and a new board member, Nevada Affiliate President
Terri Rupp was elected to her first term on the board. In the afternoon
session, we voted on twenty-one resolutions which outline the policy
priorities of the National Federation of the Blind. In the evening I
attended two meetings, the first being a demonstration of the Microsoft
Soundscape Application. This application can be used as a tool to find out
what stores, restaurants, and other businesses are nearby, as well as to set
up beacons to find particular places. I then went to the Brand Ambassador’s
meeting, where I learned how to more effectively represent our NFB brand to
the public and potential new members.

During the lunch break on Friday, I went to a meeting of the Committee on
Autonomous Vehicles and Innovations in Transportation. Much work is underway
by various automobile manufacturers to bring the autonomous vehicle to the
market. One key point that I took away from that meeting was that blind
people in all fifty states need to take a leading role to ensure that states
craft policies and laws that do not discriminate against the blind operating
autonomous vehicles. At the local level blind people should be working with
elected officials to bring about the smart city of the future. Once the
afternoon session was over on Friday, we were directed to immediately get up
out of our seats, turn around, and find the nearest exit. In a mere two
hours, the banquet would be held in the same room and the hotel staff needed
as much time as possible to set up the tables. At about 6 pm, Jeff and I
made our way back to the area where the banquet was to take place. I would
describe our effort to find our table as an exercise in organized chaos.
There were nearly 3,000 people in a small area trying to get into the
banquet hall. It was so crowded that it was difficult to walk, but thanks to
the efforts of the ushers, we went to the right entrance and were guided to
the right table. President Riccobono’s 2019 banquet speech was titled
“Choice, Exploration, and Resistance: The Road to Freedom for the Blind.” In
his speech President Riccobono stated that compared to 1940 when the NFB was
founded, blind people have more choices and more freedom; but compared to
where we want to be, our choices are still not adequate. He urged all of us
as blind people to make choices that align with the freedom that we seek.

Overall my first convention experience exceeded my expectations. I now have
a better understanding of the NFB. This convention not only challenged my
orientation and mobility skills, but it also challenged me to expect more
out of my life, and to work harder and smarter to build the Federation. I
would be remiss if I did not express my gratitude to the Kenneth Jernigan
Fund Committee and to the NFB of Missouri for providing me with the funds
necessary to attend my first national convention. I am making plans to go to
our next national convention in Houston next year, and I hope that many
blind Missourians do likewise.

Fun on the River

By Carol Coulter

On August 16, 2019 twenty-one members of the National Federation of the
Blind met at the NRO Campground near Lebanon, Missouri. We had members from
across the state representing five chapters and even two states; Alice
Hebert from Louisiana joined us again this year. We also had people ranging
in age from a sixth grader to retirees; as you can see this trip was for
everyone.

          This was Elisabeth and my first year to go, and we had a great
time after our adventure in getting there; GPS’s aren’t always to be
trusted. After picking up Stephanie Contreras in Jefferson City and heading
further south, our trusty GPS decided to lead us down some roads that as I
told everyone, “you wouldn’t want to drive your tractor on.” We also
encountered a road that was covered with water and had to turn the van
around on this narrow dirt road in the dark. Praise to Elisabeth for her
excellent driving on these terrible roads and her ability to get us out of
the predicament we found ourselves in. By the way, everyone else found their
way there just fine.

          After arriving at the campground at about 10:30, about two hours
later than hoped, we entered a very nice cabin. It had a full kitchen, two
baths, window air conditioner, and eight double beds - plenty of room. After
some socializing and story-telling we headed for bed to rest up for our
float trip in the morning which would start with a bus picking us up at 9:30
A.M.

          Since I am not a swimmer and was hesitant about going, I am going
to try and be a little more specific in my description with the hopes that
it will help dispel any fears that others might have and convince you to
come join in on the fun next year.

          Saturday morning everyone came to the larger cabin to get ready
for our day. We made our lunches, put on sunscreen and bug repellent. We
then took the coolers with our lunches and water and loaded the bus which
took us down to the river. We had discussed who was in each raft before
off the bus, they handed everyone a life jacket. It was up to you if you
wore it, but state law requires that they provide one for everyone on a
water craft. To help some of you visualize, the raft was sort of like those
you see in plane or boat rescues or comedies where someone pulls a cord and
it inflates in a small space. We averaged five people to a six-person raft
and, Bill Wilson was in a canoe so he could help anyone who might need a
little assistance. The sky was overcast and kept the sun from beating down
on us so that was nice. The river was nice and calm and would be a little
faster in some places. I would say that ninety percent of the time an adult
could stand up in the water, and it would not be above waist to chest high.
I thought it was fun to try and maneuver around the obstacles in the water,
for example, tree branches, a rock, other rafters, and sometimes the water
wasn’t deep enough so you would get stuck. I lost an oar in some brush; it
got stuck and the current was just fast enough that it pulled it out of my
hand. Lesson learned: hold on tight to your oar.

          We found a place to pull the rafts out of the water and break for
lunch. We passed out the lunch bags and drinks, and then after the trash was
put in the trash bags that were provided, some people played in the cold
water before we headed back down the river to finish our seven-mile float in
our rafts. If you made it to the seven mile pull out spot by two o’clock,
you could continue for another seven miles. Only one of our rafts decided to
take this challenge; the rest of us boarded the buses and headed back to the
cabins.

          As we waited for our last group to return, some of us played cards
while others socialized or took a nap. I should add that we had a
fourteen-person cabin and a four-person cabin and seven members decided to
tent camp. The tent campers cooked their supper over the fire, while the
rest of us went to a little bar and grill about seven miles down the road
for supper. It was actually very good. After returning from supper, those
who wanted to joined the campers around the campfire for some more good
conversation and laughs.

          Check out time was 11:00 a.m., so Sunday morning we were up early
cleaning up and packing up our stuff to head our separate ways after a fun
filled weekend.

          I hope this helps some people make a decision about coming next
year. As you can see, we had cabins or tents, we had old and young, and
people who could swim and others like myself who couldn’t swim. We had two
people who came down Saturday just to raft, but not spend the night. We even
had one who chose not to raft but came for the camaraderie.

Randy said that if he had known there was a full kitchen, he would have made
us all dinner like spaghetti or something. Let me tell you that would have
been worth coming back for. There is something for everyone, so please stay
tuned for information on the next trip and plan to come join in on the fun.

             People playing around in the river.

Ben and Melissa K., Brent, Cari and Ben C. rafting down the river.

Alice, Samantha, Carol and Elisabeth

in their raft.

Amy, Jenny, Chris, Amiah and Amber Lynn in their raft floating down the
river.

                                        Shelia, Stephanie, and Kathy in
their raft and Alice

sitting across in her raft.

Chris Griggs

By Rita Lynch

Our chapter treasurer, Chris Griggs, had been living on the outskirts of
Jefferson City, but decided to sell his home and move in town as
transportation was a real problem. Chris bought an older home in the Old
Munichburg area which he knew would require lots of remodeling. He moved in
September 28, 2018 and got to work. Now, less than a year later, he is the
proud recipient of not one, but two special awards as a result of all the
hard work he has done to make his home one to be proud of. Chris was the
first person to receive the Southside Pride Award, which is a new award
given out by the Old Munichburg Association to individuals or businesses who
do little things to show pride in the neighborhood by enhancing its historic
beauty. The winner receives a yard sign in the form of a dachshund that says
“Southside Pride” and $25 in Munichburg Bucks which can be used at any
participating southside business. Chris was surprised with this award during
The Golden Hammer Ceremony which Chris also won. The Golden Hammer award is
given for larger renovation jobs and is given by the Historic Society of
Jefferson City.

Chris was very fortunate that the May 22nd tornado missed his home. It came
through real close, just one block from his home.

Chris also shared with us at our July chapter meeting that he has just
received his LLC and is now licensed as a Segway businessman. We are all
very proud of Chris and do wish him all the best in all his endeavors.

Our Federation Friend, LaVern Toebben

By Rita Lynch

     It is with a heavy heart that I reflect on our friend LaVern Toebben
and the blessings we received by knowing and working with her for many
years. LaVern breathed her last on Wednesday August 14th at 2:55 p.m. We
here in Jefferson City knew that her time here on earth was short, but we
all know that this type of separation is impossible for one to truly prepare
for. There are lots of Federation members around the state who knew and
loved LaVern and Alvin, but for those who did not know LaVern as well, I
want to share some of who she really was and why she will be truly missed.

    LaVern was eighty-four years old, but her last ten years were very
challenging for her and her family as she was battling Dementia and other
life-threatening medical conditions. I first met LaVern in February of 1982
when she and I joined the Federation. We realized that we had so many things
in common. Both of us being blind, we were wives and mothers with promises
of becoming grandmothers. We were proud to be strong cradle Catholics of
German ancestry. Like myself, she came from a big family and grew up out on
a farm. I had learned that LaVern and her late husband George had been
blessed with four beautiful daughters, Janet, Susie, Maryann and Donna. I
also learned that LaVern had lost her husband, George Luecke quite
unexpectedly due to a sudden heart attack in February of 1980. One month
before this, her best friend, Genrose Toebben, Alvin’s first wife, was
killed in an auto accident near their home. He and his wife had a beautiful
family as well, four daughters, Arlene, Ruth, Patty, and Phyllis and one
son, Don. It just so happened that the two families had been good friends,
and all lived in the St. Martins area. Well, as it was meant to be, Alvin
and LaVern were married two and a half years later, September 11, 1982, and
the two families then became one big family. Alvin and LaVern were married
almost thirty-seven years. I was very pleased to attend their wedding.
LaVern lived the life she wanted. She was a wonderful homemaker and cook.
Many of you will remember her baked goods were outstanding. She and Alvin
always had a huge garden, so there was always lots of canning and preserving
of foods to do. She did child care in her home for dozens of her
grandchildren and other relatives and friends in her area. Both Alvin and
LaVern were always very willing to help in whatever way they could for the
Federation, their church, community organizations, and for whoever needed a
helping hand. They experienced much tragedy throughout their married life.
Amongst these tragedies were the loss of their daughter Donna just three
days before Christmas in 1990 due to a drunk driver and again just a few
years ago when they lost a granddaughter, Kelsie, and her fiancé on that
same Highway 50 in a head on collision. Despite all this, their faith
carried them through all the difficult times.

   Up until the time that LaVern’s medical problems prevented them from
fully participating in the Federation, they had been very active. We could
count on them to bring a couple dozen of their relatives and friends to the
walk-a-thon each year, which made these events very successful. LaVern went
with me to lots of school and community presentations on blindness. She
served many years in various positions on our chapter board including vice
president, secretary and board member. Alvin also served as chapter
treasurer for over ten years and chapter board member many years as well.
Even though they were not able to participate in all activities more
recently, they were certainly still a big part of our chapter and true
Federationists. Our organization benefited greatly from their dedicated
service.

      LaVern’s obituary indicated that even though she was blind, she helped
Alvin raise a large family and perfected her chocolate chip cookies. I want
you to know, and as God is my witness, I gave LaVern that chocolate chip
cookie recipe soon after we had become friends. Sometime after that, LaVern
mentioned to me that her family really liked her chocolate chip cookies. I
said to her that I knew that was a good recipe and was glad to have shared
it with her. Then LaVern very humbly said to me, “But, Rita, I made some
changes to the recipe.” At that time, I felt a bit offended. I did not
understand how she could possibly improve that best ever chocolate chip
cookie recipe. But I knew LaVern did not lie, so I had to accept the fact
that she perfected my recipe and, I did eventually get over it.

      Now that the visitation and funeral mass is over and LaVern has been
laid to rest, I just want to share a couple other things that truly touched
me. At the visitation, in talking with Alvin’s youngest daughter Phyllis,
she shared with me that when LaVern was taken from her home for the last
time, Alvin reached out and touched his wife’s shoulder and said to her,
“LaVern, I’ll be there with you soon,” but we hope he will be with us for a
long time yet.

     LaVern and I talked many hours by phone, and she had told me a long
time ago that when it would be her and Alvin’s time to be laid to rest, she
would be buried between her first husband, George, and Alvin and Alvin would
be buried between his first wife, Genrose and LaVern. Now I’m not the only
one who was touched by this coincidence because the mortician mentioned at
the cemetery that he has buried thousands of people, but this was a first
for him to see this occurrence.

      I am so glad that several Federationists, including Gary Wunder,
Nellene Martin, Carol Coulter, Elisabeth Coulter, Phyllis Wilson, Linda
DeWeese and I were able to go and pay our respects and express our sympathy
to Alvin and all the family members. I know it meant a lot to them. We take
comfort in knowing that she is at peace and rejoicing with her loved ones
who preceded her to her heavenly home. We want Alvin to know that although
LaVern is no longer with us, we want him to continue to be a part of our
Federation family for many years; and LaVern, we hope to see you when we
leave this earthly life to join you on that Golden Shore.

Our Last Visit with Bob

by Rita Lynch

     I know we all were shocked to hear of the recent passing of Bob Watson,
our friend and dedicated reporter whom we were privileged to work with at
the Jefferson City News Tribune. Bob died unexpectedly on August 4th here at
St. Mary’s Health Center after a brief illness. Gary Wunder and I were able
to attend the visitation on August 8th at the Presbyterian Church where Bob
had been a member for many years. As expected, there was a huge crowd which
included lots of legislators and many of Bob’s coworkers and friends. He is
survived by his mother, a son, a daughter, his sister, and his very special
friend of over forty years and other relatives. For Bob’s loved ones we left
a letter of appreciation and a copy of the resolution we passed at this
year’s state convention commending Bob for the excellent work he has done
for us for the past thirty years. Little did we know that our time was very
limited to recognize him for all the work he has done for us. Thanks to
Daniel Garcia for writing up the resolution and getting it to the committee.

     In the News Room Bob was known as “the Bull Dog” because he insisted on
reporting the whole story and as even handed as humanly possible. He was
committed to reporting the news received in the words of his sources; no
paraphrasing from this reporter. Bob started his journalism career here in
Jefferson City in 1972 with KLIK Radio. He then moved to television with
KRCG here in the local area. In 1989 Bob started working at the News Tribune
and became the type of reporter we all truly appreciate working with as he
reported without fear or favor. He has been the recipient of numerous awards
for his outstanding work in Journalism. Bob has also been very active in his
church and in his local community as well. Bob always had time to stop and
visit wherever we happened to meet. We’ll truly miss Bob as we carry on the
work of the Federation.

Here is the letter we sent to Bob’s family along with the resolution:

August 8, 2019

To the family and friends of Bob Watson:

     As you may already know, the National Federation of the Blind of
Missouri and its Jefferson City chapter think very highly of Bob Watson and
the help that he gave to us as we tried to make a difference in the lives of
blind people. He covered our legislative efforts every year, but even on a
rainy day he joined us at a Walk-a-thon to talk more broadly about the
issues that brought us together. He was a first-rate journalist who always
treated us with tremendous respect, even though we did not represent a large
readership or any significant cash to the newspaper. He was an affirming
presence, not only because he could provide us with valuable exposure to the
community but because he made it clear that he felt it an honor to be among
us, to help us articulate the challenges we faced, and to spell out in
detail the hopes and dreams that we hoped our organization would make real
for the people we serve.

I read in Bob’s obituary his reverence for the golden rule. If ever there
has been a prescription for guidance about how to behave, this precept is
it, and for those of us who voted and passed the enclosed resolution, Bob
was the living embodiment of it.

Through this letter and the enclosed resolution, please know how much we
appreciate Bob’s touching our lives and for allowing him to touch ours. At
the moment we feel sadness, but in the measure of time that sadness will
give way to the joy we had in knowing him and calling him our beloved
friend.

Gary Wunder

Board of Directors

Officers:

Shelia Wright, President                              Melissa Kane, First
Vice President

Jenny Carmack, Second Vice President          Becky Boyer, Recording
Secretary

Daniel Garcia, Corresponding Secretary         Carol Coulter, Treasurer

Board Members:

Eugene Coulter              Roger Crome                              Robin
House

Amy Wilson                            Chris Tisdal
Dacia Cole

Jeff Giffen             President Emeritus, Gary Wunder

Chapter Presidents

Columbia Chapter, Eugene Coulter, 573-474-3226

Old Drum Chapter, Amy Wilson, 660-441-1907

Jefferson City Chapter, Melissa Kane, 573-473-8584

Springfield Chapter, Ben Vercellone, 417-755-5285

Kansas City Chapter, Daniel Garcia, 816-505-5520

Lewis and Clark Chapter, Chris Tisdal, 314-440-1684

Mineral Area Chapter, Roger Crome, 573-701-8409

Show-Me State Chapter, Dan Keller, 417-667-6208

Blind Missourian Editor Carol Coulter

Proof Readers Helen Stevens, Shelia Wright, and Gary Wunder

Read by Elisabeth Coulter

NFB of Missouri

1504 Furlong Dr.

Columbia, MO  65202