[NFB-Seniors] Please join us in New Jersey for our upcoming NFBNJ senior division meeting slated for Monday Oct. 14 at 8 PM

Jane Degenshein jdegen16 at comcast.net
Sun Oct 6 02:43:28 UTC 2019

Hello All Seniors
I hope you enjoyed your September and look forward to sharing our October
meeting with you.
Below you will find the minutes from our September meeting and the Agenda
for our next meeting
scheduled for Monday, October 14, 2019 at 8 PM
To join in,
just dial: 1 605 468 8005
Access Code:460994 POUND
I look forward to hearing you on the call friends!
***

National Federation of the Blind of New Jersey's senior division
NJASB
Minutes from the senior division meeting held on Monday, September 9, 2019
at 8 PM
The Senior Book Club met at 6 PM, discussing the book, The Day the World
Came to Town; 911 in Gander Newfoundland by Jim Defede. We all noted about
the weather change, what about their medicines, toys for the kids & even
their pets! The townspeople took care of everything! One traveler said to
the townspeople, :Your overwhelming compassion & generosity will be
remembered forever." Those who attended were: Jane Degenshein, Misty Hagan,
Lori Neidhart, Anne Marie Harris, Marie Sawyer., Susan Gold & Linda
DeBerardinis. This book touched all our hearts.
There will not be another book club until the new year, therefore the book
is forthcoming.
1. Welcoming remarks
Jane asked all for a moment of silence for the passing of our longtime
member
Eleanor Thompson who died last week at the age of 94.
We remember her with reverence as a good friend, member and all around
wonderful lady with a spirit much younger than her years.
She was a member in great standing with our division for 8 years and 5 times
per year I made her cartridges with her books that we discussed beforehand.
Checking my records, she had read over 700 books in that time.
I will miss our talks and shared times.
Our lives have been deepened because Eleanor walked a bit with us.
Joe Ruffalo is out of the hospital and with us tonight so a giant woo hoo!
2. Roll Call
There were 29 in attendance.
Jane Degenshein, President
Mary Jo Partyka, First Vice-President
Pam Hayes, Second Vice-President
Linda DeBerardinis, Secretary
Andrew Rees, Treasurer
Anne Marie Harris, Board Member
Marie Sawyer, Board Member
Jennifer Uchanow, Board Member
Members: Linda Melendez, Misty Hagan, Lori Neidhart, Barbara Finan, Brian
Keene, Pat Bunce, Jerry Fontenelli, Cathy Butzler, Geri Mcginty, Cecelia
Raglan,Karen Fitzpatrick, Renee Freiling, Sherry Rollins, Harvey & Linda
Levine, Ursula Rucki, Joe Ruffalo, Angela Perone, Ward Biondi, Les Cameron.
Participants: Cynthia Jones.
3 NFB pledge: Joe Ruffalo lead the pledge.
I pledge to participate actively
in the efforts of the National Federation of the Blind
to achieve equality, opportunity, and security
for the blind;
to support the policies and programs
of the Federation;
and to abide by its constitution.
4. Secretary's Report: Linda DeBerardinis
Linda asked if all received the minutes via email.
Motion: Sherry Rollins
Second: Linda Melendez
There was no discussion.
All voted favorably.
5. Treasury Report: Andrew Rees
The report was read and discussed.
Motion: Barbara Finan
Second: Harvey Levine
Jane remarked that this was Harvey's first time to offer a second as he is a
brand new member.
All voted favorably.
6. Dues: Jane Degenshein
If you are planning on attending the convention, kindly bring it in an
envelope marked clearly with your name and senior division dues and add the
dollar amount
Or mail it to:
Jane Degenshein
14 Elmwood Avenue
West Orange, NJ 07052
Make check payable to: NFBNJ senior division
in the memo: dues 2020
If you wish to pay for 2 years, that is fine so just make the check in the
amount of $10 and dues 2020/2021
7. Committee Reports: Marie, Ada, and Jennifer
A. Caring Calls and Cards: Marie Sawyer
Marie stated:
I spoke with Beverly bookbinder from the echo group several times, who was
doing very well. I also spoke to Renee Freiling, who is working owning
coping with her recent loss of sight. Chris Franz told me about her new
tests. She is always upbeat and positive.I sent a card to Jane and Larry
congratulating them on their 40th anniversary! A sympathy card was sent to
Pat Bunce, for the loss of her sister-in-law. Another sympathy card was sent
to Dan Facchini for the loss of his uncle. I sent a get well card to both
Linda Melendez, for her knee surgery and Joe Ruffalo, for his hospital stay.
A thinking of you card was also sent to Joe. Jane informed Marie, Chris
Franz is in the hospital. She is in St. Barnabas Hospital, room 222. Marie
will surely call her and send her a card from all of us.
B. Birthday Calls: Ada Crandle
Ada is flying today and may not make this call but she phoned all those with
birthdays in June/July and August so if you received a call give out a
shout!
Jane said she wasn't sure if Ada called Phil Harrison, but he will be 80 on
September 13th birthday! Harvey Levine said he will be turning 86 on
September 26! Happy Birthday to both gentlemen.
C. Senior Corner: Jennifer Uchanow
Quotes from 9/11
“I will never forget seeing what hate can destroy… I will never forget
seeing what love can heal.”
― Steve Maraboli
“When nearly 3,000 people died on 9/11, it was enough to create massive
change in our society. Over ten times as many people die from guns each
year. Where is the social change?”
― DaShanne Stokes
“instead of mourning, instead of a moment of silence or a hateful,
islamophobic message, how about today we make the world a little brighter?
be kinder. be a little gentler, with yourself and others. take more
pictures. tell more jokes. be a better human.
today is a lot more than a tragedy. today is a birthday. a day of suicide
awareness. a wedding. a birth. a new job. today is a kiss and someone on a
tarred over warehouse roof whispering about the day the earth stood still
and the day it began spinning again.
be kind. just be kind. it's time we took this day back for the wild ones,
for the fiery eyes, for the happy and the brave and the new. no more
mourning. let it just be a Sunday.”
― Taylor Rhodes,
Quotes to honor our country’s patriotism.
1. “The attacks of September 11th were intended to break our spirit. Instead
we have emerged stronger and more unified. We feel renewed devotion to the
principles of political, economic and religious freedom, the rule of law and
respect for human life. We are more determined than ever to live our lives
in freedom.” —Rudy Giuliani
2. “If we learn nothing else from this tragedy, we learn that life is short
and there is no time for hate.” —Sandy Dahl, wife of Flight 93 pilot Jason
Dahl
3. “Even the smallest act of service, the simplest act of kindness, is a way
to honor those we lost, a way to reclaim that spirit of unity that followed
9/11.” —President Barack Obama
4. “You can be sure that the American spirit will prevail over this
 tragedy.” —Colin Powell
5. “For me and my family personally, September 11 was a reminder that life
is fleeting, impermanent, and uncertain. Therefore, we must make use of
every moment and nurture it with affection, tenderness, beauty, creativity,
and laughter.” —Deepak Chopra
6. “True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere
 else.” —Clarence Darrow
7. “Time is passing. Yet, for the United States of America, there will be no
forgetting September the 11th. We will remember every rescuer who died in
honor. We will remember every family that lives in grief. We will remember
the fire and ash, the last phone calls, the funerals of the
children.” —former President George W. Bush
8. “What separates us from the animals, what separates us from the chaos, is
our ability to mourn people we’ve never met.” —David Levithan, Love is the
Higher Law
9. “September 11, 2001, revealed heroism in ordinary people who might have
gone through their lives never called upon to demonstrate the extent of
their courage.” —Geraldine Brooks
10. “We will win this struggle—not for glory, nor wealth, nor power, but for
justice, for freedom, and for peace… so help us God.” —Tom Harkin
11. “Remember the hours after Sept. 11 when we came together as one! It was
the worst day we have ever seen, but it brought out the best in all of
us.” —Secretary of State John Kerry
12. “America was not built on fear. America was built on courage, on
imagination and an unbeatable determination to do the job at hand.” —former
President Harry S Truman
8. State Convention: Jane Degenshein/Linda Melendez
A. Senior Division Duties and responsibilities as host division
We need to all pitch in and make it happen! We need people working both the
registration tables,runners, man the NFB tables in the exhibit room and
elsewhere and talking signs using a regular voice.
B. Senior division meeting on Friday, November 8 at 9 A.M.
Our meeting will include the welcome, the year's overview, elections, and
dues taken
Elections will be for the 5 officers.
Anne Marie Harris is nominating chairman. The nominating committee will
recommend a slate of officers and any current paid member can be nominated
from the floor

C. The Senior & Technology Divisions and the Northern Chapter are the hosts
this year.
Linda Melendez said the dates of the convention are November 7th through the
10th.Thursday will be the Technology Seminar. Friday morning the divisions
meet, afternoon will be a meeting, Friday night is the dinner and
resolutions. Then fun. Saturday we have our general session, then Saturday
night is the banquet. Sunday is our business meeting. Where? The Delta
Marriott Hotel in Woodbridge NJ It is Access Link
To reserve your room now call 732-634-3600.
hotel reservations block deadline is October 18 however, last year, the
block was sold out prior to the deadline date, don’t hesitate , make your
hotel reservations.

The pre-registration forms will be out this week. Save money by
pre-registration. Keep in mind this year the food prices also went up, but
President Ruffalo decided to keep the registration, the Friday night dinner
and the banquet the same prices. The affiliate is paying the rest.
9 National Retreat: Jane Degenshein/Geri Mcginty
Geri said the retreat was September 15th through the 21st. There are 3 from
NJ going. It's fun to make new things, make new friends, learn new things
and just to have fun! There is no better place to go. You are busy all the
time with Braille, technology, cooking, travel, etc.!
10 Old/New Business: All
A. Les Cameron said moving to Cummins Georgia is like moving to a whole new
world! People on the street are very nice. I went to my first NFB meeting.
There is nothing but community buses, therefore they don't go out of their
county. No Access Link at all. I miss you guys! Cynthia asked why he moved
away from us. He said because of the taxes. Much cheaper down there. Cynthia
said our prayers are with you and God bless you.
B. Linda Melendez announced the Sports & Rec Division meets September the
18th for our book club at 6:45 PM, moderated by Janie Degenshein and our
meeting at 8 PM.
September 21, there will be a Step Challenge prep meeting.
September 28th will be our 2019 Division Event; professional museum educator
and licensed tour guide, Trish Maunder of Philly Touch Tour will take us on
an accessible, hands-on trip back in time to ancient Rome. We’ll learn about
daily life and history through the artifacts and other antiquities she will
bring us as part of our tour. This is at JKTC and is only $20. Look online
for the particulars. Register soon, there is only
room for a few more.
C. Lori Neidhart told us of the WOW Computers for Seniors. They come with
speech already loaded and are free the first year. For more information call
877-759-5969.
11. Round the Phone/Brags and Drags: All
A. Jane asked Jerry to share his Boscov's excursion, along with his song
with Ellen!
Jerry started by saying he and Ellen did very well last year and decided
they were going to beat their record of selling Boscov's tickets this year.
Jerry said every once in a while he would break into a song to attract some
attention! And then Jerry broke into song! He sang "Polly Wolly Doodle All
the Day", but changed the words to fit the occasion! Leave it to Jerry!
Ellen & Jerry surprised themselves by surpassing their own expectations and
raised $683!
B. Pam Hayes announced the birth of her second grandson, Nolan.
C. Cynthia Jones thanked us all and said she enjoyed herself.
D. Ward Biondi informed us his problem has finally been solved! All he has
to do now is swipe his card and the door opens. Jane asked if he informed
Valerie Yingling, to which Ward answered yes.
E. Brian Keene reminded everyone about Ellen's computer being hacked. He
told all of us to change our passwords to avoid the same thing. Brian also
told us of his newest hobby; brewing beer with his son. They have been told
their beer is quite tasty and Brian asked if there was any way he could sell
his beer at convention, giving the Senior Division the profits. Linda
Melendez told him it was against the Board of Health to bring in any food or
drink from the outside.
F. Linda Melendez announced on August 29th, Logan & Raeann had a beautiful
baby boy! His name is Lucas Mathew, he weighed in at 7 pounds 13 ounces and
measured 21 inches long. I have already babysat him 4 times and he is the
love of my life, said proud Grandmom Linda!
G. Lori Neidhart told us her Victor Reader Stream broke. She sent it to
Human Ware, but the expense of repair was too much. They asked if they could
repair it and give it to someone else. Of course Lori said yes. She missed
her Victor Stream very much, but her Mother surprised her with a new one on
her birthday!
12 Adjournment
Next month's meeting is scheduled for Monday, October 14 at 8 PM
Jane called for the motion.
Motion: Barbara Finan
second: Jennifer Uchanow
The vote was unanimous.
Stay well and keep connected friends.
The meeting adjourned at 9:09 PM.
Respectfully submitted by
Linda J. DeBerardinis, Secretary
Reviewed by,,
Janie Degenshein, President
Senior Division National Federation of the Blind of NJ

Minutes from the senior division meeting held on Monday, September 9, 2019
at 8 PM
[...]
June 2019
Opening Balance: $448.22
Deposits: 0
Withdrawals
Check: $50.00- KJ Fund
Bank Fee: $5.00
PAC: $15.00
Ending Balance: $378.22
working balance. $378.22
July 2019
Opening Balance: $378.22
Deposits: 0
Withdrawals
Bank Fee: $5.00
PAC: $15.00
Ending Balance: $358.22
Working balance. $358.22
Aug 2019
Opening Balance: $358.22
Deposits: 0
Withdrawals
Bank Fee: $5.00
PAC: $15.00
Ending Balance: $338.22
working balance:$338.22
Regards,
Andrew Rees
Senior Division Treasure
Mary Jo asked if the fees for the bank are because we didn't meet the
minimum balance. Andrew said yes. Angela  said 501C3 organizations should
not be charged. Jane  explained that the NFBNJ is a 501C3 and each bank has
its own policy.
We need to keep our balance above $500. so we need to fundraise.
Other options are forthcoming. Will discuss next month.
[...]

Agenda for the senior division meeting Monday, October 14, 2019 at 8 PM
Welcoming remarks

1. Roll Call
2. NFB Pledge: All
3. Secretary's Report: Linda DeBerardinis
4. Treasurer's Report: Andrew Rees
5. Dues: Jane Degenshein
6.  NFBNJ State Convention Overview: Joe Ruffalo/Linda Melendez/Jane
Degenshein
A. Joe to give an overview of the events from Thursday through  Sunday
B. Linda to discuss the duties/responsibilities for the host division of
which we share this with the tech division.
C. Jane to discuss our senior division meeting  held at convention
7. Committee Reports: Marie Sawyer/Ada Crandle/Jennifer Uchanow
A. Senior caring cards/calls: Marie
B. Senior Birthday Calls: Ada
C. Senior corner: Jennifer
The Courtesy rules of blindness will be read and discussed as time permits
8. National Senior Division Update: Jane Degenshein
9. Old/New Business: All
10. Round the Phone/Brags and Drags: All
11. Adjournment
Our next meeting will be held at convention on Friday, November 8 at 8:45 AM
Respectfully Submitted,
Jane Degenshein
President NFBNJ Senior Division

Keep Smiling,
Janie Degenshein
Happiness isn't having what you want, but wanting what you already have!
Facilitator of ECHO (Eyes Closed Hearts Open)
state affiliate board member
President of the senior division of the National Federation of the Blind of
New Jersey
to join the senior list serve:
President of the Technology division of the National federation of the Blind
of New Jersey
To join the tech div list serve: