[nfb-talk] Extra Tax Exemption

T. Joseph Carter carter.tjoseph at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 00:42:04 UTC 2010

My opinion, generally unasked-for though it may be, is that we worry
sometimes far too much about what people might think if they see
something.

Over on the NABS list, someone asked about the notion that she might
need a single dorm room for herself.  The immediate response from the
list was that she must at all costs refuse this on the grounds that
she should not wish to be seen as needing something.

How insecure in oneself must one be to constantly assume that
something as simple as asking for more than half a shoebox as a
living arrangement somehow connotes inferiority? I gave the most
logical advice I could:  If you want a roommate, do not allow the
school to isolate you.  If you don't, ask for a single.  If someone
asks if it's for your disability, answer honestly that it is simply
your preference.

Being a bit older than the average undergraduate, not a small person,
and having more possessions than comfortably fit in half a shoebox, I
greatly valued my single room.  I paid for the privilege, as did half
of the students on my floor.  I did move eventually into a graduate
student apartment, which required special approval, but the request
was based on age and personality, not disability.

Joseph