[NFB-Talk] Blindness Apps on Planes

Misty Kienzynski mkienzyn at alumni.iu.edu
Sun Aug 6 11:23:35 UTC 2023

Greetings.

I am traveling solo for the first time overseas in about a week. I am using Delta.

As I understand it, their wifi service only extends to messaging and nothing else, even if you pay for it.

So, I was wondering which blindness apps, if any, could be used aboard.

For instance, which apps do all their processing offline?

I am looking for the best ways to be the most independent aboard the flights and I figure, if I can use apps, that would further increase this independence.

Please note that I am speaking specifically of apps that help blind people such as Seeing AI, AIRA, Voice Dream Scanner or even Tile. I am not talking about apps like podcasts or audio book apps, just in case that was not clear.

—

Ms. Misty D. Kienzynski

Treasurer

Membership Chair

Historian

National Federation of the Blind—Indiana Affiliate

Phone: 812-381-0073

E-mail: mkienzyn at alumni.iu.edu

Twitter: @AuroraNebulosa

Bonitas non est pessimis esse meliorem. — L. Annaeus Seneca