[NFB-Utah] We need to act now on the Senate Tax Cuts for people with disabilities

Nfb Utah nfbutah at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 05:46:33 UTC 2017

Colleagues:

The following blog was just posted to nfb.org:

Much attention has been given to Congress’s planned tax reform efforts and
the varied effects those changes will have on Americans. However, one
aspect of the Senate Tax Cuts and Jobs Act that no one seems to be talking
about is the drastic effect it will have on people with disabilities.

Though not explicitly mentioned in the legislation, the Tax Cuts and Jobs
Act may inadvertently eliminate federal funding for public vocational
rehabilitation (VR) programs. As this letter from the National Council on
State Agencies for the Blind explains, VR programs provide critical
training for people with disabilities to secure and maintain employment.
Defunding of this program will not only curtail gainful employment
opportunities for people with disabilities, but also negatively impact
other programs such as the Social Security trust fund and Medicare.

We must strive to maintain our financial freedom and independence. Please
call your two senators and urge them to guarantee that the Tax Cuts and
Jobs Act does not trigger mandatory spending cuts that will eliminate or
reduce vocational rehabilitation funding. You can reach your senators by
calling (202) 224-3121 and asking for the appropriate office.

https://nfb.org/blog/article/3408

John Paré
(410) 659-9314 x 2218
National Federation of the Blind