[NFB-Utah] Project STRIVE 2021-2022

nfbutah at gmail.com nfbutah at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 00:28:35 UTC 2021

Introducing 2021-2022

NFBU Project STRIVE

The National Federation of the Blind is proud to announce this year’s Project STRIVE (Successful Transition Requires Independence, Vocation and Education) calendar and valuable incentive!

Mission Statement

The aim of Project STRIVE is to instill hope, build confidence, and provide mentorship to blind youth ages 13 (7th grade) to 26. Our ultimate goal is to ensure their successful transition to becoming contributing and self-reliant members of society. We seek to accomplish our mission by providing one-on-one mentoring with blind peers and adults and by holding regularly scheduled activities, including discussions on attitudes about blindness, presentations from competent blind adults, and opportunities for college and career preparation. In everything we do, Project STRIVE is dedicated to helping the individual succeed and to promoting positive attitudes about blindness.

Unless otherwise indicated, activities will begin at DSBVI (250 N. 1950 W. In SLC, UT), at 10:00 AM and end at 2:00 PM. For those living along the Wasatch Front, we use public transportation (which may include an instructor meeting participants at a bus stop or train station to teach them how to use the system). Special transportation arrangements can be made for those living outside the Wasatch Front (which may include a carpool from St. George/Logan/Vernal/Tooele & points between)

Win an iPad Pro for perfect attendance at the following activities:

• Science Without Sight is Exciting- October 9th

• Woodworking (learn to use power tools to make & take)

• Get your Food Handler’s permit

• Christmas service project for local homeless

• Fitness- snowshoeing

• Washington Seminar- tour & advocate in Washington DC

• State Convention (iPad pros will be awarded)

• CPR certification

• Successful Futures Seminar- create/update your resume, learn about & interview for employment

• Employment opportunities

• National Convention in New Orleans

We sure hope you’ll join us and also consider applying to be a Jr. Mentor (see attached job announcement)

Cheralyn Johnson, Program Director

Tara Briggs, Program Instructor

Willie Black, Program Instructor