[NFB-Utah] Salt Lake Chapter meeting - November 20th

nfbutah at gmail.com nfbutah at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 22:59:09 UTC 2021

Fellow Federationists and Friends of the NFB of Utah (Salt Lake Chapter),

Save the date for this month in person/Zoom meeting. It will be held on the

third Saturday of the month (November 20) instead of the fourth Saturday of

the month due to the Thanksgiving holiday.

Starting this month, each chapter meeting there will be a trivia question

from one of the current months Braille Monitor or Presidential Releases

publications and the first one to guess correctly will receive a cash prize.

If no one answers correctly in the allowed time, $10 will be added to the

pot and will roll over to the next month. This month we will start with $25

in the pot.  You can quickly access and read the publications using the

links below. Read to win!

November Braille Monitor

<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm21/bm2110/bm2110tc.htm>

November Presidential Release

<https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/url?u=23554 <https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/url?u=23554&qid=6311942> &qid=6311942> ,

Chapter Zoom Meeting information and agenda below.

Meeting Agenda

*    Introductions and welcoming new members.

*    The presidential release Summary.

*    Affiliate and National report – by  NFBU State President, Everette

Bacon.

*    Chapter report and business – by Ken Duke.

*    Honoring Veterans- We will be honored to have several blind veterans

joining our meeting and telling us their stories and what it feels like to

be a Veteran. In addition, near the bottom of this email is more interesting

information about Veterans Day.  We celebrate all veterans! Thank you for

your service!

*    Wrapping up.

Chapter In-Person/Zoom Meeting information:

In-Person location, DSBVI/Blind Center

<https://www.google.com/maps/search/250+N.+1950+W.+SLC,+Utah?entry=gmail <https://www.google.com/maps/search/250+N.+1950+W.+SLC,+Utah?entry=gmail&sou> &sou

rce=g> 250 N. 1950 W. SLC, Utah

Green Line TRAX to 1940 West Stop

Virtual Zoom Meeting,  <https://zoom.us/j/8061136194>

https://zoom.us/j/8061136194

One tap mobile, +17207072699,,,8061136194#

Veterans Day Information:

•     Veterans Day occurs on November 11 every year in the United States in

honor of the “eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month" of

1918 that signaled the end of World War I, known as Armistice Day.

•     In 1954, President Dwight D. Eisenhower officially changed the name

of the holiday from Armistice Day to Veterans Day.

•     Veterans Day commemorates veterans of all wars.

•     Every Veterans Day and Memorial Day, Arlington National Cemetery

holds an annual memorial service. The cemetery is home to the graves of over

400,000 people, most of whom served in the military.

•     18.2 million living veterans served during at least one war as of

2018.

•     9 percent of veterans are women.

•     7 million veterans served during the Vietnam War.

•     3 million veterans have served in support of the War on Terrorism.

•     Of the 16 million Americans who served during World War II, about

325,000 were still alive as of 2020.

•     2 million veterans served during the Korean War.

•     As of 2019, the top three states with the highest percentage of

Veterans were Virginia, Wyoming, and Alaska.

Chapter and Affiliate Information:

If you would like to sign-up to receive periodic NFB Utah affiliate/chapter

notifications via text message, click on:  <https://tapit.us/b2XlpK>
https://tapit.us/b2XlpK.  This

will direct you to a form that just needs your cell phone number and name

subscribe to this program.

Follow us for events, announcements, and fun at:

Facebook:  <https://www.facebook.com/saltlakechapter/> Salt Lake Chapter of the National Federation of the Blind of Utah

 <https://www.facebook.com/saltlakechapter/> @saltlakechapte <https://www.facebook.com/saltlakechapter/> Twitter handle: @nfbutah_slc <https://www.facebook.com/saltlakechapter/> Instagram: nfbuslchapter