[Nfb-web] *Important Alert* Be Aware of and Check Archiving and Other Privacy Options In Mailman Mailing Lists

Michael Hansen mhansen4 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 23:16:33 UTC 2012

Mika,

In the past year the NFB of Nebraska has moved our lists to NFBNet
from another in house solution we were using. We did this for several
reasons but when we did security / privacy was a top issue that I
discussed with Dave.

We have 2 lists one is wide open. Anyone can join, Anyone can look at
the archives, but the posts have to be approved by a moderator.   The
second list is more secure. Subscriptions have to be approved by the
moderator, posts have to be approved by the moderator and the archives
are password protected.

Both of our lists are publicly listed so people know about them but
they do have the above restrictions. This configuration has worked out
very well for us so far. I can't find anything negative about the
service Dave provides, I can only make the following 2 comments.

1. It frustrates me (because I am a knowledgiable power user and like
to do things myself) that I can't have total control over my own list.
That being said I understand and respect Dave's point of view
regaurding not wanting the server to become a free for all.

2. It might be nice if Dave put togther a new list request packet. To
disclose and explain the options that are available. Dave is typically
happy to configure a list any way that you a person wants, however if
you don't know what to ask for (or know that something is available)
then that can be limiting as well.

Dave Job well done.
Mike
---