[NFB_of_Georgia] Blind parenting

Daphne Coleman cocoabrown05 at icloud.com
Tue Feb 9 14:15:47 UTC 2021

Greetings so my discussion is about being a blind parent and why is it so difficult to gainthe respect and credit as anybody that can see? Why has the Nfb fought so hard to get bills past that are still being violated? I am a blind mother and I am experiencing a clear case of discrimination in DeKalb county Georgia by child protective services because they want me to have a sighted person live with me stating that that would be the only way they would not remove my daughter from me but when that did not happen my child was removed immediately something has got to be done about issues like this we cannot continue to be singled out because of our visual impairment it’s not fair to us as parents or our children. Not only that but there is a worldwide pandemic going on and they take my daughter and give her to a stranger and tell me I cannot see my child meaning have physical visits with her but only do zoom which I tried to tell them it was unacceptable for me but I finally learned how to do it now they want a sighted person to tell me how to parent my child when I graduated from the Center for the visually impaired as a certified blind mother and they also state things like I tried to use my blindness as a crutch and they make all kinds of accusations stating if I’m blind and I can do this then I can do things that are not good for me then they make statements like I have  inadequate supervision and that is clearly talking about me being blind so once again something needs to be done about this corruption in DeKalb county Georgia.

Daphne coleman