[Nfbc-info] Jernigan Fund money for national convention

Mary Willows mwillows at sbcglobal.net
Sat Feb 14 06:49:01 UTC 2009

 The  Kenneth Jernigan Convention Scholarship Fund is looking for
 individuals
 who can

 use some financial assistance to attend our national convention in
> Detroit,
 Michigan.

 In 2009 our convention will begin on Friday, July 3,  and run through
 Wednesday, July

 8. This is an entirely different  schedule, and the convention is a day
 shorter, ending

 with the banquet  Wednesday evening.

 Who is eligible to receive a Kenneth Jernigan  Convention Scholarship?

 If you are a member of the National Federation  of the Blind, you are
 eligible to

 apply. However, preference will be  given to first- time convention
 attendees. The

 scholarship selection  committee is able to make an occasional exception,
 but
 first- time

 convention participants are the target group.

 What do I have to  do to apply for a Kenneth Jernigan Convention
 Scholarship?

 You must do  the following and are responsible for these application
 requirements:

 1.  Find out who your state NFB president is and get him or her to write a
 letter

 of recommendation for you, or you may have a chapter president or other
 officer write

 a letter of recommendation, but we must have a letter from  a Federation
 leader who

 is familiar with you.

 2. You must write  a letter to the Kenneth Jernigan fund committee
 expressing
 the

 reasons  why you want a scholarship. Describe your participation in the
 Federation

 and what you think you would get and give to the convention. Please send
 all
 information

 to Allen Harris, 219 Meadows Drive, Birmingham, Alabama  35235, or email
 the
 information

 to <allen.harris at dwx.com>.

 3. You must register for and attend the entire convention, including the
 banquet.

 How do I get my scholarship funds?

 You will get cash at  the convention. The times and locations will be
 listed
 in the

 notice you  receive if you are a scholarship winner. The committee is not
 able to

 provide funds before the convention, so work with your chapter and state
 affiliate

 to assist by advancing funds you can pay back when you receive  your
 scholarship.

 When will I know if I have been selected as a Kenneth  Jernigan
 Scholarship
 winner?

 The committee makes every effort to notify  scholarship winners by May 15,
 but you

 must do several things to be  prepared to attend if you are chosen:

 1. You must make your own hotel  reservation. If something prevents you
 from
 attending,

 you can cancel  your reservation.

 2. You will receive a letter with the convention  details, which should
 answer many

 of your questions. It is also helpful  to find a mentor from your chapter
 or
 affiliate

 to act as a friend and  advisor during the convention. Although you will
 not
 know

 officially  whether or not you have been selected until early May, you
 must
 make plans

 to attend and then adjust your plans accordingly.

 This past  summer in Dallas the Jernigan Fund scholarship committee
 awarded
 sixty

 Kenneth Jernigan Scholarships. The average grant was $600. You can
 include
 in your

 letter to the committee any circumstances which the  committee may choose
 take

 into consideration. Above all, please use  this opportunity to attend your
 first convention

 and join several  thousand other blind Federationists in the most
 important
 meeting

 of the  blind in the world.

 If you have questions or need additional  information, call Allen Harris
 at
 (205)

 655-8221 or email him at  <allen.harris at dwx.com>. You may also email Joy
 Harris at

 <joy.harris at dwx.com>. We look forward to seeing you in Detroit and
 enjoying
 convention

 with you and all of our fellow Federationists.> cemailfooterNO62)