[Nfbc-info] Can someone explain

Jonathan Lyens jonathan at lyens.com
Sun Jun 14 19:36:07 UTC 2009

Hi Mike,

I believe the difference you find is that "mental impairment" is a very
large classification. I know you noted that there are various causes of
blindness. However, all of these causes lead to the different
progressions of the same end result. However, "mental impairments" are
numerous. Additionally, the impairments do not all have the same causes
nor the same symptoms. They are not all varying degrees along the same
spectrum. Thus, I think lumping them all together, particularly for this
exercise, does not parse out your data enough in order to draw any
meaningful conclusions. If you wish to draw a meaningful conclusion
about employment of people with disabilities, you need to separate out
all of the disabilities. Even in the category of mental impairment for
example, Schizophrenia is much different than say a Learning Disability.
Both of these disabilities have different causes and symptoms, and would
most definitely have much different impacts on one's ability to gain
employment.

Best-

Jonathan

Jonathan T. Lyens MPA