[Nfbc-info] Can blind people own cars in California?

Caroline Buckley&Russell Jones emmett14 at verizon.net
Sat Sep 26 01:41:23 UTC 2009

Hello all!

I was shocked to find out the following information.

I am legally blind and therefore do not have a CA driver's license.  I can not legally drive in the state of California or in any other state in our great country.  I would, however, like to own a car here in California.  I can purchace a car in California, but I cannot register it in my name.  The reason?  Since I do not have a CA driver's license, I cannot obtain automobile insurance.  Since I cannot obtain automobile insurance, I cannot register a car in California.

Shocking, isn't it?

The state of California will only allow me to own a car if I do not register it.

I cannot believe it.

Caroline