[Nfbc-info] This American Life

Eric Calhoun eric at pmpmail.com
Tue May 15 05:10:22 UTC 2012

Brian, I couldn't agree with you more.  I think both organizations need to
encourage positive portrayals of blind people.  Braille Institute has had
positive influences for people who are blind.  I was featured in a video
called BRIDGES TO INDEPENDENCE.  I'll be going, twice, down to San Diego,
one, to acclimate someone to the area, and two, to attend a Blindness
Convention.

In NFB, it's about working together for a common cause.  Both NFB, (and
ACB) need to speak out on negative portrayals of blind people, but both
organizations must provide positive feedback, as well.  I see too many of
us wanting to complain, and very few writing letters.  I personally found
the Mr. Magoo movie for example, to be degrading and demeaning.  And so, I
wrote to Disney to urge them to pull the movie.  They did not listen to me.
 I gave them an alternative to Magoo, they did not take me up on it.

You are not alone here, Brian.  Do I have a witness here?
..

The America's Finest City Distribution List, devoted to the city of San
Diego, the Camp Bloomfield Distribution List, devoted to the camp in
Malibu, California, and the baseball list, all about baseball.  Sign up is
eric at pmpmail.com.  I am also on Facebook.