[Nfbc-info] one conversation and one article at a time

Lisa Irving peacefulwoman89 at cox.net
Wed Mar 11 19:20:13 UTC 2015

Hello Friends,

I would like to share one of many highlights I experienced while in
attendance at last week's CSUN International Technology Conference for
Persons with Disabilities. I hope that by the time you finish reading this
message you will want to do two things; Always carry NFB materials with you,
and that you will embrace opportunities to listen and talk about the NFB and
how we are changing what it means to be blind.

Last Friday I attended a CSUN related luncheon. On one side of me sat a long
time member of the CCB. On the other side of me sat two teachers of the
visually impaired. I chatted with all three individuals. The teachers of the
blind and visually impaired and I discussed how we empower blind and
visually impaired students and their families.

At one point I asked the women if they had read any of the NFB Kernel books
or other NFB materials. Neither teacher was familiar with the Kernel Book
series. I gave both teachers the Kernel book titled "The World Under My
Fingers" and the article "Setting High Expectations For The Blind Student: A
Duty For Blindness Professionals. I can't help but to believe that in some
small or big way the book and the article will have a positive influence on
these women and moreover; their blind students will learn that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines who they are and what is possible to
achieve.

Best,

Lisa Irving