[Nfbc-info] Mentor for the parent of a blind student with ONH in Southern CA?

Christopher Sabine, ONH Consulting info at onhconsulting.com
Thu Sep 27 00:27:41 UTC 2018

Hello.

My name is Christopher Sabine, and I am Secretary of the Federation Chapter
in Cincinnati, Ohio. I've joined the California list for employment related
reasons in the past and have posted here previously.

I am a consultant for families of children with Optic Nerve Hypoplasia. I am
writing because I am potentially about to start working with the mother of a
child with ONH and total Blindness in Orange County, CA (Huntington Beach).
The parent is dealing with a lot of personal issues and having difficulty
with the TVI at the child's local school formulating an IEP. Do you know
where I can determine if NOBPC has a Chapter there and if there is a parent
who is in a position (personally / professionally) to work with this family?
Specifically, I am looking for a parent mentor / advocate who can facilitate
IEP meetings for this family and physically attend IEP meetings / serve as a
coach / voice of reason for this parent as needed. The real issue is that
the child needs access to braille instruction. I suspect there may also be
developmental differences involved that the local educational agency /
school district is not in a position to recognize.

Any information or referrals would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Much,

Chris