[NFBC-Info] Seeking interviewees for story on educational accessibility

Cricket X. Bidleman cricketbidleman at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 17:55:56 UTC 2021

Hey folks,

It’s me, your favorite burgeoning journalist concerning educational
accessibility. My next story is on inaccessibility of online learning
platforms, and the impact on K-12 students. Sorry to my fellow higher
ed students. I’m choosing to focus on K-12 for now because it’s much
more foundational. Here’s an abbreviated version of my pitch. The one
I did in class had to explain all the WCAG stuff, but this audience is
much more informed.

With the shift to online learning during the pandemic, online learning
systems (e.g. Blackboard, Canvas, Google Classroom, Moodle) became
wildly popular and necessary for students to succeed. However, these
systems all pose accessibility issues, especially on STEM subjects.
I’m proposing a story on the detrimental effects of LMS
inaccessibility on K-12 students because after we shift back to
incomplete in-person learning, online learning platforms will still be
popular for K-12 students; instructors find them to be much easier
methods of administrating education, grading assignments, etc. There
are serious issues with providing proper accommodations though, and
LMS’s cannot replace independent living classes. My first story, a
shorter one as per assignment guidelines, will have to focus on one
platform. I’m choosing Canvas, since thousands of institutions are
using it. I’m open to other ideas if other platforms are more popular
for K-12 students, but if you’re suggesting another one, give me some
data to show that it’s more popular than Canvas for K-12 instruction.

Here’s how you can help: share this with parents of K-12 students,
educators, special educators, and anyone else who may be interested in
doing interviews with me. I will have to reach out to Canvas (or
whatever platform I choose) for a statement on their accessibility and
how they plan to improve it. I’ll also be looking at their VPAT.

TLDR: I need to talk to lots of people. My number is (805) 372-9550.
People can reach me via text, call/voicemail, Twitter (@CXBidleman),
Facebook, and/or email. Send any relevant parties my way. Thanks.

Best,
Cricket Bidleman

--
Cricket X. Bidleman, B.A (she/her/hers)
M.A Candidate | Stanford Journalism Class of 2022