[nfbcs] Looking into taking Microsoft Access

Beth Hatch bhatch200 at comcast.net
Sat Nov 13 06:19:20 UTC 2010

Hello Robert, I would suggest that if you decide to take a class in Access
2007 that you take a class where you can interact with an instructor or if
you can take the self paced class but have access to a reader and/or someone
who can tell you what Access is doing visually on the screen. I've taken
some self paced courses in Excel and PowerPoint, these worked fine because
the resources for those programs such as support from JAWS and Window-eyes,
accessibility information and tutorials from many web sites, and all of that
sort of thing is there for the rest of 2007 but not so much for Access if
you use a screen reader or a Braille display. I recently took some training
classes at the University of New Mexico for Access 2007. Previously, I had
taken my A+ and Network + certifications with the same institution. The
certification classes were fine because there was a lot of electronic
documentation available, I had a great teacher who was comfortable with
accessibility and Access Technology, and since this was a certification
class there wasn't so much mouse dependence as there was for the Access
classes. There are keyboard shortcuts for most of the screens in Access, it
is just that JAWS doesn't read very well when you need to design forms,
design queries, and sometimes in the reports portion of Access. I found that
some things would read fine, then I would get stuck or JAWS would sound as
if it was reading multiple screens of information at the same time. This
happened frequently while reading fields in the table design view when you
would be on a screen where you define your field names, e.g. their name,
descriptions and data type, but JAWS would also sometimes read information
for the properties of each field which were in another window pane of the
program. You may want to solicit other opinions, as what I've said above is
my personal experience.
If you have any questions about Access 2007, please don't hesitate to
contact me.

Best Regards,

Beth