[nfbcs] Windows MySQL and Command Prompt

Currin, Kevin kwcurrin at live.unc.edu
Wed May 22 15:42:17 UTC 2013

Hello Everyone,

I recently started learning MySQL for a summer job. I am using windows 7, Jaws 12, and MySQL 5.6. I also have cygwin installed. To get started, I downloaded the windows installer for MySQL and ran it. I have it running through the windows command prompt (the one that can be accessed from all programs>accessories>command prompt), but I do not have it running on cygwin. I am curious if since the installer is for windows if it doesn't work with cygwin? Do I need to do a separate cygwin install or do I need to do something simplier, such as edit the environment variable for MySQL?

Also, I have heard that the windows command prompt is very minimal when compared to cygwin. However, I do not have enough experience to know how much functionality is lost when using the windows command prompt in place of cygwin. Is it enough to matter? Should I even worry about running it from cygwin?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin