[nfbcs] Western Digital's My Cloud Accessibility

Peter Donahue pdonahue2 at satx.rr.com
Sat Jan 24 17:58:19 UTC 2015

Good morning everyone,

    Yesterday we received surprising news concerning my wife's computer. Recall that we were experiencing strange behavior within "Computer" in Windows 7. A friend of ours from church and I took the machine to the Microsoft Store at the Shops at La Cantera last Tuesday to be repaired. We received a call from them yesterday that after running diagnostic procedures it was discovered that her hard drive was failing and needs to be replaced. Fortunately they rescued her data files and will be able to reload them along with the applications once the new hard drive is installed.

    As an added measure against the loss of important data files we've decided to connect an external storage drive to that machine for backing up Mary's data files locally and to free up hard drive space though there's little chance she will run out of space  on a 2TB hard drive. Western Digital sells some for under $100.00. We're quite surprised how much the price of hard drives has dropped. As for the external drive Western Digital has what is called its "My Cloud" system for creating a network attached storage system for storing all files in a central location. Some of these cost around $150.00. We want to know if anyone has used My Cloud and what has your experience been with its accessibility. Some cloud storage systems allow one to access them in multiple ways. Some allow you to "Install" a virtual drive on your desktop or laptop allowing you to access files stored on the NAS drive. In addition they also give you access via the Web should desktop access not be compatible with your OS or you plan to access your NAS drive remotely. Another possible solution for accessing files stored on a NAS drive is via FTP. Using the Web or FTP could be a possible work-around should desktop access be unavailable or inaccessible.

    We currently use JungleDisk for remote backup and file storage. The desktop interface works well with access technology but the Web accessibility is problematic. They do not have access via FTP available for this file storage solution. Your feedback concerning Western Digital's My Cloud accessibility will be very much appreciated. We plan to pick up the new hard drive and external drive next Thursday so the repairs on Mary's computer can be completed. Thanks for your help.

Peter Donahue

---