[nfbcs] Windows Vista and Windows 7 Stuff

Nicole Torcolini ntorcolini at wavecable.com
Sat Jan 24 18:49:08 UTC 2015

My personal laptop runs Windows Vista, and my work laptop runs Windows 7. I
have certain problems with both of them, some are present on both operating
systems and some are present on just one. Any help with these questions
would be much appreciated. Oh, and I also am including some questions about
Office 2010.

1. Moving up the directory tree in both operating systems:
Both operating systems have this thing where, if you go to a location using
a shortcut, you can only go up one level. If you press backspace again, you
just end up back at the original location. For example, I have a shortcut
that takes me to C:\A\B\C. If I press backspace, I end up in c:\A\B, but,
pressing it again puts me back in C:\A\B\C instead of C:\A. Is there anyway
to fix this?

2. Windows Vista changes focus:
If I am in a file view on Windows Vista and I alt tab away, when I come
back, more often than not, the focus is on that desktop split button instead
of the file list. On a similar note, is there anyway to make the column for
sorting that is between the file list and that button go away?

3. Menus on Windows 7:
Is there anyway to get the classic start menu back on Windows 7? Also, what
is the actual address of the control panel?

4. Office 2010:
Is there anyway to make the ribbon go away? Also, in Outlook, when I search
for messages, the list reads all of the headers, such as from and who it is
from (e.g., from nfbcs instead of just nfbcs). And how do you make Outlook
apply the sorting of messages to all folders?

That is all for now. I know that there are more, but I cannot think of them
at the moment.

Nicole