[nfbcs] Creating Flow Charts

Greg Kearney gkearney at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 19:01:35 UTC 2016

Yo can do this in TeX the typesetting system. It is done entirely with text entry.

Here is an example of the LaTeX code and the resulting flowchart

\documentclass{article}

\usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}
\usepackage{tikz}
\usetikzlibrary{shapes,arrows}
\begin{document}
\pagestyle{empty}

% Define block styles
\tikzstyle{decision}
 = [diamond, draw, fill=blue!20,
    text width=4.5em, text badly centered, node distance=3cm, inner sep=0pt]

\tikzstyle{block}
 = [rectangle, draw, fill=blue!20,
    text width=5em, text centered, rounded corners, minimum height=4em]

\tikzstyle{line}
 = [draw, -latex']

\tikzstyle{cloud}
 = [draw, ellipse,fill=red!20, node distance=3cm,
    minimum height=2em]

\begin{tikzpicture}
[node distance = 2cm, auto]

% Place nodes

\node [block] (init) {initialize model}
;

\node [cloud, left of=init] (expert) {expert}
;

\node [cloud, right of=init] (system) {system}
;

\node [block, below of=init] (identify) {identify candidate models}
;

\node [block, below of=identify] (evaluate) {evaluate candidate models}
;

\node [block, left of=evaluate, node distance=3cm] (update) {update model}
;

\node [decision, below of=evaluate] (decide) {is best candidate better?}
;

\node [block, below of=decide, node distance=3cm] (stop) {stop}
;

% Draw edges

\path
 [line] (init) -- (identify);

\path
 [line] (identify) -- (evaluate);

\path
 [line] (evaluate) -- (decide);

\path [line] (decide) -| node [near start] {yes}
 (update);

\path
 [line] (update) |- (identify);

\path [line] (decide) -- node {no}