[nfbcs] Fake Cover Letters Expose Discrimination Against Disabled

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Fri Mar 11 19:26:54 UTC 2016

John,

First, let me be clear that since the law is what it is, we need to use it
to get what we need, and we need to be sure the law is enforced.  I am not
arguing against that.  The problem isn't whether an employer should spend
anything on us.  Rather, it is the effect of an employer knowing they will
have to spend a significant amount more than average on us and how that
affects how we are viewed in the hiring process.

Let's take this out of dealing with blindness for a moment, though.  I know
my employer will purchase particular types of desk chairs for employees who
have back problems which are more expensive.  But if an employer had two
applicants equally qualified and one explained in advance that they would
need a special desk chair that was very expensive, on what basis would we
expect that the extra cost should somehow be ignored?  A person in such a
position would most likely not disclose this before being hired.  I think
our case is made more difficult when it can be shown that hiring us for
certain positions will cause extra initial or on-going costs.  It doesn't
make it right, but one can understand that it might affect the decision,
perhaps without the decision maker even being aware of it.

It isn't just a fear of extra costs, either.  I've seen another instance
where a job used terminal emulation software that did not work well with
screen readers.  There are alternative packages that work better, and the
cost is not significant.  However, the job position is not a technical one
at all so an applicant is not going to be in a position to support the
alternative terminal emulator.  Therefore, the department would have to be
certain that there was someone who would learn the alternative package and
be aware of necessary updates.  This need has to be documented somehow so
when there are changes in staff that this gets passed on.  So once again, if
this issue is known before hiring, and hiring someone else avoids the
problem, they will probably take the easiest route.

There are no real good answers to all this in today's environment.  It is
just another case where we are put at a disadvantage, not because of our
blindness directly, but because of the indirect affects.  One solution would
be to have more tax credits to help with some of the costs.  It wouldn't
answer everything, but it might minimize the problems some.  I understand
that in a few European countries, there is a sort of general fund created
and employers can apply for reimbursement, or at least that was the case
some years ago.  That might also be a useful approach.

In some cases, we can do the jobs but it will cost more.  I believe, as I
have said before, that there is a general benefit to society for us to be
working as well as there being an obvious benefit to ourselves.  It doesn't
seem unreasonable to me, therefore, that there should be mechanisms in place
that would allow the extra costs associated with hiring disabled persons to
be shared across society broadly rather than concentrated on specific
employers who hire disabled persons.  Some kind of cost sharing would, to
some degree, remove some barriers to our getting hired.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson