[nfbcs] Fake Cover Letters Expose Discrimination Against Disabled

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Sat Mar 12 17:01:22 UTC 2016

Alright, you've convinced me.  It occurs to me that my own logic works
against me. If you are 26% (at least) less likely to get an interview if
you disclose you are blind, that means that 26% of the time you never
get the opportunity to show that you can do the job. Some percentage of
that 26% are going to be hard headed about it. It will be a waste of
time talking to them unless you want to file an EEOC complaint. But you
might be able to educate somepart of that 26% too.

I suspect it would be a waste of time filing an EEOC complaint if all
they did was focus on how you are going to get to the bathroom. They
will just deny it and they would probably quite honestly feel that you
mischaracterized the interview.  When I was flatly refused an interviewI
should have reported that. At the time, I didn't know any better.

In my position as President of IAVIT, I've discussed this issue with
people who hire. Who knows what they really think, right? But some said
to me that they would feel a candidate was pulling a fast one if they
didn't disclose. People are so afraid of lawsuits that they think they
should be given a warning so they can have their lawyer tell them what
to ask and what not to ask before interviewing a blind person. But I
suspect that the people who have expressed this sentiment are part of
the 26% that you can just write off as a waste of time.