[NFBCS] Introduction and question on VS Code for linux

Bryan Duarte bjduarte at asu.edu
Tue Feb 25 22:18:26 UTC 2020

Greg,

I recently installed the Insiders build of VS Code and found to my surprise they finally have it working with VoiceOver. For the last few years I have given VS Code a shot hoping they would get it working with VoiceOver on the Mac but to no avail. I was asked to participate in a user study for Microsoft using VS Code that was pretty much pointless since nothing really worked. After the study I had a meeting with Microsoft developers working on VS Code and they asked me to try out the Insiders build. I did and as I stated before, it works. The code editor is not accessible, the extensions are usable, and a bunch of other features work. There is still a lot of things that do not work but issues have been filed on github and they are actively working towards accessibility.

Ok now to answer your question. If you go to this site you can find the different VS Code builds for Linux.

https://code.visualstudio.com/Download <https://code.visualstudio.com/Download>

If you are using Linux with Orca I am sure you know how to install software from source. If not it is pretty straight forward and there is lots of documentation on how to do it. I know there are some people using VS Code on Linux with Orca because they file issues on github often. Hope that helps a bit.

Bryan Duarte | software engineer

Arizona State University Computer Science Ph.D Student
IGERT Fellow <http://www.igert.org/projects/264.html>
Alliance for Person-centered Accessible Technology
Center for Cognitive Ubiquitous Computing <https://cubic.asu.edu/>
Google Scholar Profile <https://scholar.google.com/citations?hl=en&user=MQPPCGYAAAAJ>