[NFBCS] Refreshable braille displays

Nancy Coffman nancy.l.coffman at gmail.com
Sun Jan 16 16:54:23 UTC 2022

Hello:

I am delighted that you are building your Braille proficiency.  I agree that you will want to consider what else you want to do with your display.  I enjoy using a Braille display with my phone.  Most displays have Bluetooth and will work with any smart phone using Voiceover or BrailleBack.

I have used a Focus, 4th generation and it works very well with JAWS and with phones.  It also works with NVDA. I We have an Orbit Reader 20 at work and recently purchased an Orbit Reader 40. I think the Orbits may be ok as an introductory display but they are slow so it may be difficult to build up speed. The Orbit reader 40 units that we have purchased had to be returned immediately for repair and one of the 2 units had to be returned again. On the other one, some dots are very slow to come up.  For my money, a 20 cell display would be a better value, although I am not a programmer so that may not be true for you.

Sent from my iPhone