[NFBCS] circling back to the wiki!

Charles Vanek charles.vanek at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 23:42:53 UTC 2023

No worries, people are busy.  Sorry to hear about layoffs, hope all is well.

Over the holiday weekend, I explored Jekyll which happens to also be the engine of Github Pages.  I ended up creating two scripts and storage.

First, a Jekyll template was created and simply stored on OneDrive which was done simply because I sync OneDrive across systems for ease of use and data loss protection.
Next I created a script that uses the vanilla Jekyll maintained docker container and builds the site from the files.
Lastly a 2nd script which pushes the files from _site up to my hosting.

This whole process could in theory be taken further.  OneDrive could be replaced with Github code repo for versioning.  The scripts for deployment could be replaced with Github action runners and the hosting could remain as is; though I won’t open up access to my hosting provider, but really anything like even AWS S3 could be used.

It’s just a thought I’ll throw out there.  The part I like is that where I have this now I can utilize server-side coding and MySQL if I want to plug in more capability.

I’m happy to share the basics and scripts with anyone here who is interested and we could find something that works for all.  parties I thought Jekyll may be good for is the simplicity of creating and updating content via markdown.  Contributors could always submit markdown to be reviewed and pushed by anyone who has the scripts / permissions to execute the upload.