[NFBCS] contacting Beyond Trust to share with them that accepting remote sessions works with Jaws

John Miller johnmillerphd at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 20 19:35:07 UTC 2023

Hello,
I am in touch with Beyond Trust about their remote session software.
You can contact Beyond Trust yourself by e-mailing mysupport at beyondtrust.com<mailto:mysupport at beyondtrust.com>.
I wrote the following information to Beyond Trust.
At the top of my correspondence you can see I am encouraging them to post a section on their website about accessibility and the working solution with Jaws for Windows.

I do wish for Beyond Trust to get back to me and let me know that the accessible solution is being shared with other blind users who contact Beyond Trust.
Placing some information about the accessible solution on the Beyond Trust web site would be most helpful for reaching blind users.

I wish to thank Beyond Trust for its commitment to accessibility and to blind individuals using its products and services.
If Beyond Trust should change its user-interface, please include accessibility testing by a blind individual before releasing the software update to business customers.
I am happy to help Beyond Trust in any way that I can.
You can also reach me at my personal e-mail johnmillerphd at hotmail.com<mailto:johnmillerphd at hotmail.com>.
Please respond letting me know that an individual at BeyondTrust has reviewed this note of thanks.
Please share with your development team the information I provide below.
I believe that many blind individuals are interacting with services from Beyond Trust and may not know how accessible the interaction now is.
Please consider placing this accessibility information at a prominent location on the BeyondTrust.com web site such as a link accessibility and a category accepting a remote session using a screen reader Jaws for Windows.
Some small footnotes or comments: when I opened this case with Beyond Trust the acknowledgement e-mail went to the "other" view in my inbox. I could not find it and this puzzled me for some time.
A blind person can toggle "focused" or "other by being in a list of e-mails in Office 365 and pressing alt-v, tab once, then select the checkbox for focused or other by pressing spacebar.
When the technician told me a pop-up window would appear on my machine, I did not know I needed to press alt-tab to bring the new window into focus.
At my company the title of the pop-up window created by Beyond Trust software begins with "remote".
Using Jaws for Windows, when a window is in focus the blind user can get the title of the window with the Jaws command insert + t.
I am able to click the "allow" button by alt-tabbing to the remote window,
pressing tab once to bring the allow button into focus, and pressing spacebar to select the button.

important information about accepting a BeyondTrust remote session using the screen reader Jaws for Windows 2023 follows:
Starting in December 2022 I have had a positive experience using JAWS 2023 from Vispero www.freedomscientific.com<https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.freedomscientific.com%2F&data=05%7C01%7C%7Caef41fbb23e44adc646808dafb146a66%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C638098362361315359%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=WKQ%2F8m2ZnKEkejwXWYgR70FZq57weRLLIBYUdIdjfvk%3D&reserved=0> when someone from my IT department remotes into my computer using software from the company Beyond Trust www.beyondtrust.com<https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.beyondtrust.com%2F&data=05%7C01%7C%7Caef41fbb23e44adc646808dafb146a66%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C638098362361315359%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=mBwHa0O4czg1vAx9Z4hSL%2BsSvp0%2BeZptR%2F1bZr2pojw%3D&reserved=0>.
I believe this process did not work with earlier releases of Jaws.
As a totally blind person, I was able to use the screen reader JAWS 2023 and a refreshable braille display from HumanWare to review information on the screen and select a button that gives access to my computer for the IT technician.

Beyond Trust provides an IT technician with the ability to remote into a windows machine.
At work I will get in contact with IT on the phone and the IT person will say a window has just popped up on your computer.
They direct me to just click the "allow" button.
With JAWS 2022 I could see the name of the window but the contents of the window was blank.
I have been asking someone who has an office near mine to stop by my office and click the "allow" button so I could proceed with the transaction.

When I could not find such a person I had to schedule remote IT sessions around my part-time sighted assistant's schedule.
This has been a big problem and it looks like now that it has been resolved.

With JAWS 2023 I can now see "person" is trying to take full access of your computer.
There is also the word "allow" on the screen.
If I press tab it brings focus to "allow".
I then press space to select "allow" and the IT technician can go forward with installing software and so-on.
The "allow" feature times out pretty rapidly.
The IT tech needed to re-issue the invite and once they told me they had, I pressed tab, observed I was on "allow" and selected it quickly.

Separately, I observed that  I can log out of my account by pressing alt-ctrl-delete, down-arrow to log-out and enter.
Once I am logged out, the IT tech can take control of my computer without me having to select the "allow" button with the associated time-out problems.
I can also log-out by clicking restart but this takes longer.

Best Regards,
John

Best Regards,
John