[NFBCS] JAWS for a System Admin?

Brian Shell shellbr at runbox.com
Wed Nov 8 01:31:21 UTC 2023

Hello,

So I'm in a situation where I'm going to have surgery which has a high
success rate, but there is a chance of retinal detachment which could
leave me with no sight.  I've been relying on ZoomText since I started
working in I T and have been doing system admin work the past 14 years.
This involves manageing server and network infrastructure VMware ESXi,
SAN storage, firewalls, switches, etc.
Considering what is in front of me, I thought I'd start learning JAWS in
case the worst happens so at least I'll still be able to work.  However,
it seems almost everything I use daily is not accessible. So far, I've
learned the basics and can get around all the Microsoft stuff without
looking at the monitor.  I spend 90% of the day accessing remote systems
though and JAWS is all about reading things locally. Only a small number
of web interfaces are usable for the various things I have to manage.
Not even PuTTY works correctly.   And RDP?  Forget about it.
Is anyone here been successful at doing this type of work with JAWS?

Thanks and hoping for some encouraging news!

Brian