[NFBCS] JAWS for a System Admin?

Brian Buhrow buhrow at nfbcal.org
Wed Nov 8 02:27:42 UTC 2023

	hello Brian.  While I don't have great news for you, I do have some questions and some
possible work arounds for some of the things you're doing.

1.  Have you played much with NVDA?  Specifically, there are a couple of addons that make it
work with RDP.  Also, Pneuma Solutions, https://pneumasolutions.com, sells a product designed
to allow you to remotely manage Windows and mac systems using either Jaws or NVDA.  Have you
explored that?

2.  You mention putty.  Does this mean you're pretty handy with the command line?  If you are,
then I suggest building yourself a Linux machine and installing either Speakup or yasr on it.
Speakup runs on the text console of the Linux environment and givs you a fully accessible
2-dimensional terminal.  Yasr does the same thing, but runs inside a pseudo terminal (pty),
meaning you  can run it under X, so can run it in conjunction with Orca, which provides access
to X-Windows  based applications.  the point here, however, is that once you have this
2-dimensional text based environment up and running, you  can ssh into your remote Windows
machines in place of using putty.  If you're a power shell user, or are willing to learn it,
then I'm betting you can learn to do many of the things you used to do with a web browser in
power shell.  This will be slower at first, but eventually, you'll probably be able to
accomplish more with less effort, assuming you're willing to climb the admittedly steep
learning curve.

	There are others who are more versed in Windows specifics than I am, and they'll be able to
give you even more suggestions than I'm offering here.  Did I mention a learning curve?  If you
are willing to put in hours of work and are willing to be very frustrated at times, then you
will be able to adapt and learn to do most of what your'e doing in new ways.  And, when you'r
doing that, you'll have a much deeper understanding of the technology you're running than you
do today.

	Here's hoping the surgery goes well and this discussion is academic.  If not, keep the
faith, work hard, think outside the GUI and you will be successful!

-Brian