[NFBCS] JAWS for a System Admin?

Chris Nestrud ccn at chrisnestrud.com
Fri Nov 10 15:04:53 UTC 2023

Hi Brian,

It is possible to use JAWS with RDP; there is a remote-access add-on that you’d purchase for your JAWS license. The possibly tricky bit is that it requires a stripped-down version of JAWS to be running on the server to do the screen reading bit. This piece communicates with your local copy of JAWS over a channel within RDP. I think this is the least invasive change as far as the network is concerned. More information is here:

https://www.freedomscientific.com/training/enterprise/using-jaws-zoomtext-and-fusion-with-remote-access-software/

https://support.freedomscientific.com/Content/Documents/Other/RemoteAccessAuthorizationInstructions.pdf

Another possible solution is NVDA screen reader with NVDA Remote add-on, this requires NVDA running on the server, NVDA running locally, and either some open ports or an intermediary server.

A third possible solution is the Remote Incident Manager product offered by Pneuma Solutions (https://pneumasolutions.com/products/rim/). This requires an agent running on the server and a local client running on your workstation. Both communicate with “the cloud”, which may be an issue depending on your environment. The agent incorporates NVDA, so the server need not have a screen reader installed as such.

As far as ssh from your local workstation to switches and such:

OpenSSH Client is available under Windows’s Optional Features section. This would give you command-line access and cursor tracking should work well.

I’ve had good luck with VanDyke Software’s Secure CRT, and others have had good luck with PuTTY. The trick is in playing around with the cursor settings and there may be some trial and error. JAWS includes scripts for Secure CRT and the company has some screen reader-specific information here:

https://www.vandyke.com/support/tips/scrnread.html

Another idea is to install Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) which would give you an accessible text-based Linux environment from within Windows.

Brian Buhrow’s idea of using a separate Linux workstation is also worth considering; it is likely to provide the best accessibility for a text-based terminal. There are currently some annoying bugs with JAWS and Windows Terminal, and I think some separate bugs with NVDA and Windows Terminal, so side-stepping all of that might be worth a thought.

Using PowerShell through Windows Terminal for the command-line experience or Visual Studio Code for the more developer-oriented experience is a good final goal. This will be a frustrating road, but I’d say marginally less frustrating than fighting with inaccessible or accessible-but-not-time-efficient web-based or GUI tools made by companies who should know better by now.

Many options and lots to consider. Please let us know if you have any questions or how things turn out for you. Good luck!