[NFBCS] Restore old Right-click Context menu in Windows 11 - Microsoft Community

Curtis Chong chong.curtis at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 17:59:36 UTC 2023

Hello everyone:

If any of you have migrated to Windows 11 and found that the SHIFT+F10 key
no longer works in File Explorer to bring up the context menu you had in
Windows 10, see the below article. I tested it, and it worked for me. See
this link. For your convenience, I am also pasting the text of the article
below the link.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restore-old-right-clic
k-context-menu-in-windows-11/a62e797c-eaf3-411b-aeec-e460e6e5a82a

Restore old Right-click Context menu in Windows 11

Starting with Windows 11, the context menu in the File Explorer is
refreshed, which is compact and is based on Modern design. However, the
refreshed context menu shows fewer items compared to the Legacy Context
menu. This article discusses how to restore the Legacy Context menu in
Windows 11, showing up by default.

You can show the Legacy Right Click Context menu by clicking Show more
options at the end of the list or pressing Shift+F10. If you want it by
default, you need to add a registry entry below so that every time you
right-click a File or Folder, it shows the Legacy Context menu by default.

Right-click the Start button and choose Windows Terminal.

*  Copy the command from below, paste it into Windows Terminal Window, and
press enter.

1.     reg.exe add
"HKCU\Software\Classes\CLSID\{86ca1aa0-34aa-4e8b-a509-50c905bae2a2}\InprocSe
rver32" /f /ve

*  Restart File Explorer or your computer for the changes to take effect.

*  You would see the Legacy Right Click Context menu by default.

Restore Modern Context menus in Windows 11

To undo this change, in a Terminal Window, execute this command:

reg.exe delete
"HKCU\Software\Classes\CLSID\{86ca1aa0-34aa-4e8b-a509-50c905bae2a2}" /f

Restart the File Explorer or Computer for the changes to take effect.

These steps can help you to enable the old context menu in Windows 11.

Kindly,

Curtis Chong