[NFBCS] Outlook Issues and Reinstalling Windows 10

Brian Buhrow buhrow at nfbcal.org
Fri Sep 20 12:45:19 UTC 2024

	hello Joe.  Have you noticed a pattern that triggers the issue?  For example, it happens
after I've been on for 20 minutes, or an hour.  Or, it often happens after I send mail to a
specific recipient or read mail from  a specific  sender.
If, when it happens, if you look in your outbox, do you notice the first message in the list of
outgoing messages is often to the same recipient?

	If you mostly send mail to recipients in yor address book, or contacts, I'm guessing that
one of your contacts entries is corrupted in such a way that it's crashing the mail handling
thread of Outlook.    With that in mind, you might try exporting your contacts into a large
vcf, csv or ldif file, all nice human and machine readable forms which can be examined with a
text editor, and combing through them to see if you notice any strange issues with any of the
entries.   Then, while you have the export, delete all the contacts from yor contacts and
reimport them from the export you just made.  I'll remind you that before you do this, it's
important to understand what kind of import files Outlook can read to create contacts, so you
can export to the appropriate format.  I'm guessing Outlook can absolutely read .vcf files,
which is why I suggest it, but it may be able to read .csv or .ldif files as well.

	If the issue is with a corrupted message in one of your mail folders, including your INBOX,
that's a trickier issue, since there's more data to work with.  that said, there are a number
of command line tools which can be used to check and repair the health of your locally stored mail
folders.  I suggest doing a few web searches to find tutorials on how to use them, since this
is where my knowledge ends.

Good luck and I hope this is helful.

-thanks
-Brian