[Nfbf-l] Iowa decision goes against dog users

David Evans drevans at bellsouth.net
Tue Feb 24 00:09:23 UTC 2009

Dear Jody,

The answer is simple.  Just go somewhere else that will let you have your
way.
If your training suffers, or not, then it was your decision.
We should be choosing our Rehab center the way we do our college education.
One choice does not suit all, but that is where the quality of training
factors in.
No one should be given a guide dog that does not have the right O and M
skills to begin with.
Many guide dogs schools just don't care.  They get paid for training dogs
and try to promote the idea that a guide dog is every blind person's answer
to all of their problems
I have experienced this myself, having been told this by a couple of schools
and misguided sighted people who think that I can not help but be better off
with some eyes leading me around, even if that is just a well trained. dog.
I am not anti guide dog.  I am even applying for a dog now myself, but I
have good skills already and the school I have applied to asked for the who
and where I got that training before processing my application.
I even had to supply a video of myself walking, using my cane, crossing
streets and everything, to the school.
She could just go to another school, with different standards, and take
their training, with her guide dog, if she wants, but this school does not
work that way and she knew this ahead of time.
As a matter of fact, I support at least two guide dog schools actively and
have for over 23 years.

David Evans, NFBF  ----- Original Message -----