[Nfbf-l] Iowa decision goes against dog users

Holly Idler hbeanie at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 13:19:00 UTC 2009

Hello List,
I have been reading all the messages concerning the decision in Iowa. As a
mobility instructor, I back their decision. Her at the Orientation and
Adjustment Center the students are allowed to use their dogs. However, I
strongly encourage them to use their canes for half the day and their dogs
the other half. This way they work on their cane skills. Also, I have never
been trained to work with or retrain a dog guide. That is a lot of what I
see here. Teams that either have not worked together with the user not
having sight or new users who need more work with the team. Such as a user
walking in front of his or her dog, not correcting the dog when needed, or
the dog being aggressive. For the most part, when the student comes to
mobility, he or she uses a cane during my class and builds on their cane
skills.
Holly

--
"God gives you 86,400 seconds in a day. Take one to say Thank You."
Walter A. Ward