[Nfbf-l] new resource

Carolyn Lapp lappland at bellsouth.net
Thu Sep 23 21:35:35 UTC 2010

Below you will  find:

1. a Brief notice of resources for the blind, through Optasia Ministry

2. A short article about Optasia Ministry

If it is appropriate to publicize this information, we would appreciate it.

Blessings,

Tom Vos, Director

Optasia Ministry

1.

Optasia Ministry provides a free service to persons who are blind or have a visual disability, giving them access to a significant library of Bibles, Bible commentaries and a variety of Christian reading material.

Optasia Ministry has a set of Bibles that are formatted to work very well on the Braille notetaker devices, as well as on desktop and laptop computers.  For blind users using screen reading software we offer 15 Bibles in the Optasia format, two Catholic Bibles, Spanish Bibles, and others.  We have a library of over 800 books that will serve any Christian reader, and will also serve pastors well with commentaries and theological resources.

2.

Optasia Ministry

"I'm laughing!  I'm crying! I'm jumping up and down for joy!"

This is one of the many appreciative emails we have received at Optasia Ministry after we began sending out our resources for blind persons in 2007.

A seminary graduate testifies that he could not have finished his degree without the resources from Optasia Ministry.  And a recent recipient of the Optasia Bibles was excited that at a recent Bible study at church, she was not only able to follow the Bible passage, but was able to even read aloud for the first time.

Optasia ministry has it's roots in the PAC Mate I received with the assistance of my state Department for the Blind.  Because I am a pastor, I had a high interest in finding a Bible that would work on this machine.  However, I could not find a vendor who could assure me they had a Bible that would work well on the PM.

My son, who has a master's degree in computer science, took the challenge.  Within a remarkably short time he created scripts for a Bible that works very well on the PM as well as on  any desktop or laptop computer.

Since that initial version, we have improved the Bible formatting and have extended it to 15 Bible versions.  The Optasia Bible format allows easy access with links to books, chapters and verses of the Bible.  With a little practice users can find verses in the bible as quickly as sighted persons (and may even have an advantage with a small book like Obadiah).

We wanted to share this material with other blind persons.  In order to do this we have organized Optasia Ministry as an Iowa nonprofit corporation.  Through a special provision of the U.  S. Copyright code we are able to distribute these Bibles free to those who are blind.  In addition we have a library of over 800 books such as devotional reading, Bible commentaries and a variety of other Christian resources that we offer as the Optasia Library.  The entire library is free, and we rely on donations to support the cost of the ministry.

Some of our customers have noted that the Optasia Library is the best of its kind in the world.

If you wish to know more you can visit our website at www.optasiaministry.org, or email me at tom.vos at optasiaministry.org

Tom Vos, director
Optasia Ministry, Inc., Christian Resources for the Blind
www.optasiaministry.org
641-869-3442        OptasiaMinistry at juno.com
12419 185th St., Wellsburg, IA 50680

Tom Vos, Director

12419 185th St.

Wellsburg, Iowa 50680

641 869 3442

OptasiaMinistry at gmail.com

Please remember to support the Florida Outreach Center for the Blind by donating a dollar or more to help fund our worthy programs. Send your tax deductible gift to:
Florida Outreach Center for the Blind
2315 S. Congress Avenue
Palm Springs, FL 33461
Or use the Pay Pal link on our web site at:
www.flblindcenter.org
Thank you!