[Nfbf-l] behavior and cane use

Doreen Franklin doreenproverbs3 at bellsouth.net
Sat Dec 31 18:12:44 UTC 2011

Posting this in hopes someone can give me some advice for our 7-yr old/1st grade daughter who is VI. She is still in denial of her vision and hates her cane (that is another LONG story).  I have been told by her teacher that when she uses her cane at school, numerous times she will "purposefully" trip her peers by putting the cane under their feet. My "take" on it is that she is trying to get me to take the cane away because of her misusing it. She is getting only 30-min of O&M time and she doesn't do that while with the O&M instructor. And she does not do it with us, so this was very "new" to us!

Can anyone suggest what to do so that she will use the cane correctly and not try to trip her peers? ALL suggestions are welcome!!!

Thank you and Happy New Year to all!!!

Doreen