[Nfbf-l] Rep. Alan Grayson on Vision Loss

Kathy Davis kdavisnfbf at cfl.rr.com
Fri Jun 3 03:11:18 UTC 2016

I have to respectfully disagree with you Matt to some extent. I know many
blind people who are involved in all sorts of activities. I for one am up to
my neck with my church, CVI, traveling, playing Canasta with friends, being
a mom and grandma, participating for 7 years in Bible Study Fellowship as
the only blind participant among 200 women. And I enjoy a phenomenal group
of sighted girlfriends. Many blind people have held gainful employment for
years and years and are well respected for their good work. Many are retired
and finally get to do what they want to do instead of what they have to do!
Certainly this is a privilege well earned. I do agree that is vitally
important for blind people not to shrink from being involved in any activity
just because they are blind or because there are no other blind people in
any given group or activity. Truly it is "Walking alone, Marching Together"
as we who have read this fabulous book fully understand. We learn from each
other and we teach others what blind people are all about. We aren't blind,
we just can't see and there is a vast difference. The more we are out there
mixing with the general public, the more we have the opportunity to educate.

Take care,

Kathy