[NFBF-Tampa] Tampa Bay Chapter Meeting Minutes September, 2021

Sherrill O'Brien sherrill.obrien at verizon.net
Thu Oct 21 20:12:26 UTC 2021

Greetings to all,

Here are the September meeting minutes for your reading pleasure.

I hope to see you on Saturday at Beefs!

Sherrill

Tampa Bay Chapter

Chapter Meeting Minutes

September 21, 2021

Beef O'Brady's

8810 North Himes Avenue

The meeting was called to order by President Miranda Kilby at 12:05PM. We
said the NFB pledge together.

All introduced themselves. There were 15 persons in attendance, including
three participating via the Zoom platform.

Secretary and Treasurer Reports

A motion was made by  Dan, seconded by  Barbara, to approve the August
meeting minutes as emailed. The motion passed.

Dan gave the treasurer's report. Our current balance is $1,690.31.

A motion was made by Sherrill, seconded by Paul, to accept the treasurer's
report as read. The motion passed.

President's Report

Miranda spoke about last minute state convention items. Our chapter's
auction fundraiser  basket is worth about $200. Miranda thanked everyone who
contributed to this project. She also mentioned that additional help is
needed for convention registration on Friday October 1.

HART News

Ineko talked about the new Flamingo fare system and said there will be no
more daily or monthly passes, although you can still pay with cash when
boarding the bus. She said that you do not lose money because whatever
amount remains on the Flamingo card at the end of the month will roll over
to the next month. HARTPlus will not be using the Flamingo card system.

TD Tampa Bay Campaign

Debbie Malone said she will resend her letter to the list. This letter can
serve as a template for us as we write our own personal letter urging the
reinstatement of the TD Tampa Bay transportation service. As part of Meet
the Blind Month, our goal is to send as many letters as possible to our
Florida senators and representatives on White Cane Safety Day, October 15.
Debbie said her We plan to ask Lighthouses throughout the state and NFbF
chapters around the state to send letters as well.

New Business

Gloria reminded us of the chapter board's decision to contact local Lions
Clubs and perhaps other service organizations. Besides informing these club
members about who we are and what we do, we would be looking to obtain
grants or onetime donations. We would offer to make presentations to these
club so they can learn more about us and we can become acquainted with them.

We agreed that we should hold a holiday party, perhaps outdoors in a park.
Miranda will contact Tampa ADA Coordinator Raquel Pancho to get information
on city parks.

Miranda said that she has learned about an organization called Lazarillo
which was founded by Rene Espinoza. He got in touch with her to ask if he
could hold a virtual workshop for our chapter. His organization is doing a
pilot program in Tampa dealing with indoor navigation techniques for the
blind. Chapter Members agreed this would be of interest, so Miranda will let
us know when the workshop will be held.

Miranda said she is pleased to announce that she has appointed Z'Leah Liburd
to our chapter board. Z'Leah will take the Board position previously held by
Marion Gwizdala. She said z'Leah will be receiving another state scholarship
during our convention.

Our 50/50 fundraiser drawing was won by Denise Brown. She received $157.50.

Our next meeting will be held on October 23.

The meeting was adjourned at 1:05PM.

Respectfully submitted

Sherrill O'Brien, Secretary

Tampa Bay Chapter

Phone 813-935-0474, cell 813-767-1890

email Sherrill.obrien at verizon.net

expectations because low expectations create barriers between blind people
and our dreams. You can live the life you want! Blindness is not what holds
you bac