[NFBJ] Cantors?

Ricky Lomey rickyl at iafrica.com
Mon Jul 25 13:48:39 UTC 2022

Hi

Someone asked me if there are any blind/visually impaired canters around
today and I said I'm not sure, I didn't ask if he was referring to
specifically any born without sight or with limited sight or whether that
would include any who lost their sight later, I know in the past there was
Mindy Fliegalman from the Reform in New York, the chazen of Lemberg who was
blinded during the holocaust and here in South Africa there was Abe immerman
who I never met but was a cantor and Bar Mitzvah teacher in Cape Town at one
of the Orthodox congregations, never met him unfortunately but he went to
the same school for the blind I attended and it seems he may have been the
first Jewish scholar there though I met someone else who seems to have been
the first Jewish student.

Ricky Lomey