[Nfbk] Greater Louisville Chapter Activities

Melanie Peskoe mpeskoe at twc.com
Mon Sep 16 02:38:14 UTC 2013

Hello Fellow Federationists,

I'd like to update you all with some information and announcements for the
Greater Louisville chapter. First up, for GL chapter members who
pre-register for the NFBK State Convention by the September 22 deadline, the
chapter will reimburse you the $20 your spend on your luncheon ticket. If
you plan to attend the luncheon and are preregistered please let myself or
Maria Jones, treasurer, know so we can bring your $20 to the convention.

Also at the state convention the Greater Louisville chapter will be selling
USB rubber wristbands - this is a bracelet  that opens up with a 2 gigabyte
USB drive on one end - for $10. The wristbands are blue with white lettering
that reads National Federation of the Blind www.nfb.org and has the Whozit
logo in white as well.

I wanted to tell you all about the three activities we have planned for the
October NFB Meet the Blind Month. On Tuesday October 15 from 11:30 - 1:00pm
we will host a table at the annual White Cane Day event at 4th Street Live.
We would love to have as many NFB members present as possible. If you plan
on being there please let me know so we can meet up and have a group
presence.

Secondly, the NFBGL board has decided that our chapter will partner with the
Kentucky School for the Blind , Parent Student Staff Organization to cohost
a Halloween party for the KSB and NFB children as well as our NFB members.
This has traditionally been a very well attended party and will be a great
opportunity for us to do some outreach to parents and staff and let them see
blind adults working with the children on games and crafts. We will need
lots of people for this party for games, crafts, haunted house and trick or
treating. If you're interested in helping please leave a message on the
voice mail (495-7130) and let us know you what would feel comfortable doing.
Our intention is to pair people up two at a table for games and crafts. If
you enjoy dressing up that's even better, but not required!  We also would
like to ask if you're able please bring a bag of individually wrapped candy
to contribute to the trick or treating as well.

Lastly, NFBGL will be hosting an information booth at the 10th annual
Bardstown Road Boo Fest on Saturday, October 26 from 2-8pm in the parking
lot of the William Dean Salon on Bardstown Rd. Hopefully we can have chapter
members on hand to do cane and Braille demonstrations and hand out
literature and more candy! There will be an expected 10,000 people to attend
this event so it is an excellent opportunity for them to Meet the Blind. We
are looking for members to come out and help man the booth either from 2-5
or from 5-8. Again, please let us know if you would be interested in helping
out with this outreach activity.

I realize most of this is fairly distant and I've given you a lot of
information, but I wanted to put it out there early so you all can hopefully
plan on joining us at some or all of these events.

One more thing, this Thursday at 7:30 we will be meeting at KSB to have a
skating party with the high school kids. We have preloaded our NFB USB
wristbands with some literature and resource documents that we'll be handing
out to the kids during a break and brief information session. We would love
to see many of you there to help us show these kids what the NFB is all
about.

If you have any comments, questions, concerns or just want to say hello,
please feel free to give me a call at 262-1403.

My best regards,

Melanie Peskoe , President NFB of Greater Louisville

--

Melanie Peskoe

Providing affordable Avon products and free direct shipping!

Feel free to call for personalized customer service at 502.252.1403

www.beautywithmel.com

Vehicle Donations Take the Blind Further

Donate your car to benefit the National Federation of the Blind today!

For more information, please visit: http://
<http://www.carshelpingtheblind.org/> www.carshelpingtheblind.org or call
1-855-659-9314