[NFBMD] FW: FYI- Caution Related to Metro Trains

Powers, Terry (NIH/NCI) [E] Terry.Powers at nih.gov
Thu Aug 4 17:07:15 UTC 2016

From: Mann Koepke, Kathy (NIH/NICHD) [E]
Sent: Thursday, August 04, 2016 12:44 PM
To: List ABILITIES <ABILITIES at LIST.NIH.GOV>
Subject: FW: FYI- Caution Related to Metro Trains

An important word of caution!!  If you are a Metro rider, please read below message...

Kathy

Kathy Mann Koepke
ABILITIES-request at list.nih.gov<mailto:ABILITIES-request at list.nih.gov>
301-435-6855
ABILITIES at LIST.NIH.GOV<mailto:ABILITIES at LIST.NIH.GOV>
The mission of the NIH ABILITIES group is to foster a welcoming, supportive, and respectful workplace that promotes success for all NIH staff, regardless of ability or disability.
Promote success - make all your meetings and communications fully inclusive and accessible! [Description: Description: Description: MC900229829[1]]  (examples how: http://www.fedsmith.com/2010/10/27/access-granted-preparing-allinclusive-training-site/)

FYI- Sent on behalf of David Kosub.

Dear fellow visually-impaired and other NIH colleagues,

I wanted to caution everybody about an issue related to Metro that you should be aware. Please be exceptionally cautious and careful when entering the passenger cars on the new train car series. There is a gap that exists in the area that connects between two train cars and the platform. Older train car series have some sort of barrier (e.g. rope) that reduces this risk, but such a barrier does not exist in the new train series.

I am raising this issue after experiencing one of the most frightening two minutes of my life and am working with WMATA to address and fix this issue. Finding a solution will not only keep disabled riders safe, but everybody safe.

Again, please take caution when entering and exiting the metro train cars.

Thank you
David

David A. Kosub, Ph.D.
Health Science Policy Analyst